Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > F10 Revisited

F10 Revisited

Monroe

Been away from the scene for a bit. Last noted that the Fuji F10 gave
incredible low/existing light performance for a compact. I remember
some degree of higher ISO peformance. I've viewed some stunning
photos taken with that camera. How does the current crop compare?
I'm looking for a similar compact camera suitable for existing
light/indoor photos. The one negative (for my use) is that the F10
did not have an optical viewfinder (still don't really like the LCD's
for all uses).
--

Monroe

DHB

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:50:12 GMT, Monroe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Been away from the scene for a bit. Last noted that the Fuji F10 gave
>incredible low/existing light performance for a compact. I remember
>some degree of higher ISO peformance. I've viewed some stunning
>photos taken with that camera.

This last X_Xmas I purchased a FUJI F10 for my mother & I
agree that the low light picture quality is surprisingly good.
Indoors with flash it uses ISO=800. The flash can be turned off but
for mom, simplicity is a must so she uses it on full auto.

>How does the current crop compare?

The newly announced FUJI F30 seems to build on the F10's
qualities which are limited to an ISO=1600, but the F30's top limit is
ISO=3200! Additionally it has considerably more new features as well,
read more here if interested:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/fu...06_f30_pr.html

>I'm looking for a similar compact camera suitable for existing
>light/indoor photos.

This might be the best option for your needs.

> The one negative (for my use) is that the F10 did not have an optical
> viewfinder (still don't really like the LCD's for all uses).

Here I tend to agree with you especially when used outdoors on
bright sunny days. But there is a potential work-around to this
problem too. It's not a perfect solution but it's very likely what I
will be getting for mine because I really like mom's F10 but need more
user controls, so the F30 seems like it will be a great alternative to
my DSLR when I want to travel light but still want reasonably nice low
light pictures. Anyway here is the potential work-around:

http://www.delkin.com/delkin_product...ckon_mini.html

B&H sells this device & is expecting the FUJI F30 to be
available some time MAY of 2006 For about $400 USD.

Hope this helps you decide what you want. Like I said I'm not
a huge fan of using an LCD to frame a picture in "all" situations
either but with my Canon A95 which has a swivel LCD, there is no way I
could have framed some odd angled shots without it, so it can be a
plus. The choice is yours, however I suspect that other camera
manufactures will not want to loose out on this growing segment of the
market & will eventually have quality offerings of their own but for
now it seems much like a 1 hoarse race in the low light P&S field!

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918