Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus C-770UZ disassembly

Olympus C-770UZ disassembly

Chris Seal

Avid readers might remember that I previously called for help because my
C-770UZ wouldn't shut down. Eventually it wouldn't start up either.
Estimates from repair shops far exceeded the cost of a used 770UZ...

I've got my 770UZ mostly disassembled. Generally, screws hold it together,
but two panels were glued in place.

The main rear panel, in which the LCD is installed, has been detached, but I
cannot find a way to release it from the top left corner. This is the corner
where the viewfinder is. The flash shoe sits above the viewfinder, and the
rear panel seems to be held in place by some mysterious force under the
shoe.

Can anyone tell me how the flash shoe is held in place?

Regards...Chris

Papa

Try Olympus tech support, although I doubt if they will be willing to help
you because they probably will not know, and even if they do - disassembly
is probably not something they would want to talk to customers about.

There may be a hidden screw that can only be revealed by removing some other
component.

Also, be careful with prying, you may end up crushing some tiny component
that you can't see and ruin your camera.

Good luck.

SleeperMan

Papa wrote:
> Try Olympus tech support, although I doubt if they will be willing to
> help you because they probably will not know, and even if they do -
> disassembly is probably not something they would want to talk to
> customers about.
> There may be a hidden screw that can only be revealed by removing
> some other component.
>
> Also, be careful with prying, you may end up crushing some tiny
> component that you can't see and ruin your camera.

since camera doesn't work, there's nothing he can ruin...so, it can't be
worse, only same or better

--
Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

Papa

>> Also, be careful with prying, you may end up crushing some tiny
>> component that you can't see and ruin your camera.

> since camera doesn't work, there's nothing he can ruin...so, it can't be
> worse, only same or better

I definitely disagree with that conclusion. Right now the camera may be
repairable at nominal cost. Crushing a component may make that impossible
economically.

Chris Seal

I had an estimate from a reputable digicam technician, and I could buy a
good used 770 for less.

So for me there is nothing lost in what I am doing. It is just for my own
amusement, but not exactly "If it ain't broke open it up and find out why".

....Chris

news:9hkRf.331$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...