Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help need viewfinder hacks for compact LCD screens

Help need viewfinder hacks for compact LCD screens

John Smith

I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.

Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and grab
shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
have these days.

Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore would
be helpful.
If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some sort
of add on finder.

John A. Stovall

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:29:36 -0500, "John Smith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
>viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
>
>Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and grab
>shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
>have these days.
>
>Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore would
>be helpful.
>If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some sort
>of add on finder.

I just wonder how Henri Cartier-Bresson was able to do street
photography with chimping everything he shot.

Learn the basic of photography and you won't care about having to
preview it.

Go read this.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...unkeycam.shtml

"A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
color of blood in black and white"

David Douglas Duncan
Speaking on why in Vietnam
he worked only in black and white
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/

John Fryatt

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:29:36 -0500, "John Smith"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
>> viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
>>
>> Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and grab
>> shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
>> have these days.
>>
>> Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore would
>> be helpful.
>> If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some sort
>> of add on finder.

> I just wonder how Henri Cartier-Bresson was able to do street
> photography with chimping everything he shot.
>
> Learn the basic of photography and you won't care about having to
> preview it.
>
> Go read this.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...unkeycam.shtml

I like it. Might even get one.

However, I thought the OPs point was NOT to use the LCD (for composing
or 'chimping') but to use a normal viewfinder, which some cameras don't
have these days. E.g. Ricoh GR Digital.

You could attach a shoe to the top of the camera then fit an auxiliary
viewfinder to it. The Russians made one for the Zorki/Fed range I think,
plus there are others around. Problem would be attaching the shoe.
Screws are liable to mangle the 'works' inside I would think. You could
glue it on, but that seems a bit kludgy.
Or... how about some kind of bracket that screwed into the tripod mount,
and had a shoe at the top. Hmmm, more kludgery.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <670a2$4413333a$40185080$(E-Mail Removed)>, John Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
> viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
>
> Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and grab
> shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
> have these days.
>
> Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore would
> be helpful.
> If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some sort
> of add on finder.

This is just great. One idiot in one of the other photo groups wants an
LCD preview for DSLRs - this moron wants a wire-frame viewer for a P&S.

Battleax

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:110320061515349525%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <670a2$4413333a$40185080$(E-Mail Removed)>, John Smith
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
>> viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
>>
>> Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and
>> grab
>> shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
>> have these days.
>>
>> Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore
>> would
>> be helpful.
>> If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some
>> sort
>> of add on finder.

> This is just great. One idiot in one of the other photo groups wants an
> LCD preview for DSLRs - this moron wants a wire-frame viewer for a P&S.

And when you get an idiot and a moron together...you get Randal Anusworth

John Smith

Your point being? The camera in your link had a viewfinder, and I'm sure the
camera used by Henri Cartier-Bresson did too.

You are confusing apples and oranges... a basic non-LCD aiming device has
nothing to do with "previewing", in fact, quite the opposite.

"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:29:36 -0500, "John Smith"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
>>viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
>>
>>Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and grab
>>shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact units
>>have these days.
>>
>>Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore
>>would
>>be helpful.
>>If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some
>>sort
>>of add on finder.

> I just wonder how Henri Cartier-Bresson was able to do street
> photography with chimping everything he shot.
>
> Learn the basic of photography and you won't care about having to
> preview it.
>
> Go read this.
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...unkeycam.shtml
>

> ************************************************** ********
>
> "A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
> color of blood in black and white"
>

> David Douglas Duncan
> Speaking on why in Vietnam
> he worked only in black and white
> http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/

John Smith

Actually, that might work if I can find one of those Russian jobs. I hadn't
thought that. A little Velcro (sp?) should do the job.

"John Fryatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VlHQf.5328$(E-Mail Removed)...
> John A. Stovall wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:29:36 -0500, "John Smith"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure someone must have come up with a way to jerry rig some sort of
>>> viewfinder for those compact cameras that don't have one.
>>>
>>> Those lcd screens aren't worth squat as far as street photography and
>>> grab shots go, and yet it seems that's the only thing the better compact
>>> units have these days.
>>>
>>> Even something like those '"wire" finders on the press cameras of yore
>>> would be helpful.
>>> If any of you are mechanically talented, you could make a min with some
>>> sort of add on finder.

>> I just wonder how Henri Cartier-Bresson was able to do street
>> photography with chimping everything he shot. Learn the basic of
>> photography and you won't care about having to
>> preview it.
>>
>> Go read this.
>>
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...unkeycam.shtml

> I like it. Might even get one.
>
> However, I thought the OPs point was NOT to use the LCD (for composing or
> 'chimping') but to use a normal viewfinder, which some cameras don't have
> these days. E.g. Ricoh GR Digital.
>
> You could attach a shoe to the top of the camera then fit an auxiliary
> viewfinder to it. The Russians made one for the Zorki/Fed range I think,
> plus there are others around. Problem would be attaching the shoe. Screws
> are liable to mangle the 'works' inside I would think. You could glue it
> on, but that seems a bit kludgy.
> Or... how about some kind of bracket that screwed into the tripod mount,
> and had a shoe at the top. Hmmm, more kludgery.

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Battleax
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And when you get an idiot and a moron together...you get Randal Anusworth

Hey, that's clever. I've never heard that before in my life. Did you go
to school with Beavis and Butt-Head?

You people really need to concern yourself with creating quality
images, not the do-dads.

Jem Raid

> This is just great. One idiot in one of the other photo groups wants an
> LCD preview for DSLRs - this moron wants a wire-frame viewer for a P&S.

If you can make a wire frame (I used to used a wooden frame with my 5x4)
should be quite easy and you can afford one of the new Panasonic DSLR's then
you'll have both.

I use a C-5060 and the tilting screen can be used like a TLR very useful
indeed at times.

Jem

-------------------------------------
Birmingham Independent Photographers
http://bip.wikispaces.com/

John Smith

Son, you say you're happy with that LCD on your Point and Shoot, and I'm
sure you probably get some nice static snap shots of family and friends
grinning at ya.

But as you gain experience, you'll there's more to photography than static
shots.

Even the early 21/4's, which had a viewing system comparable to the LCD's,
made provision for a fast (if not accurate) shot finder.

It all comes down to what you do with a camera... you said for your
purposes, the LCD is the perfect solution...Well, for me, it's not.