Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Using a Contax TLA-200 flash on a Canon EOS 5D - will my camera blow up?

Reply
Thread Tools

Using a Contax TLA-200 flash on a Canon EOS 5D - will my camera blow up?

 
 
jw@urban-exposure.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
Hello, I have a G2 rangefinder kit and have today acquired the
beautiful EOS 5D w/ 24-105 lens. I will be buying a 430EX flash in the
next few weeks, but would really like something more compact for the
times when I don't want to carry a big hammerhead flash around with me.


Would my Contax TLA-200 flash work ok with the 5D or do I risk blowing
up the camera and/or flash. Presumably I would not achieve any TTL
flash metering with this setup, but is the metering system on the 5D
sophisticated enough to work with this flash?

Any insight would be appreciated.


James

www.urban-exposure.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malcolm Stewart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> Would my Contax TLA-200 flash work ok with the 5D or do I risk blowing
> up the camera and/or flash. Presumably I would not achieve any TTL
> flash metering with this setup, but is the metering system on the 5D
> sophisticated enough to work with this flash?


I tried a "foreign" flash on one of my recent cameras (can't remember which,
sorry - it might have been my 5D) and all I got was an error signal as the
camera failed to find the correct signalling protocol. I think there's some
form of hand-shaking involved nowadays.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK
http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Thread Stopper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello, I have a G2 rangefinder kit and have today acquired the
> beautiful EOS 5D w/ 24-105 lens. I will be buying a 430EX flash in the
> next few weeks, but would really like something more compact for the
> times when I don't want to carry a big hammerhead flash around with me.
>
>
> Would my Contax TLA-200 flash work ok with the 5D or do I risk blowing
> up the camera and/or flash. Presumably I would not achieve any TTL
> flash metering with this setup, but is the metering system on the 5D
> sophisticated enough to work with this flash?
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.


I also have a new EOS 5D and I have now used it with my Mecablitz 54 MZ-4
Flash with the correct SCA adaptor.

Wow! what a lump.. It weighs a total of 2.12kg!

It's such a heavy combination, what with the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM fitted,
I was also wondering about a smaller, pocketable flash like the Contax
TLA-200 which I also have.

Can anybody make any suggestions ?

Steve
Milk floats, stainless steel sinks
--


 
Reply With Quote
 
Thread Stopper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello, I have a G2 rangefinder kit and have today acquired the
> beautiful EOS 5D w/ 24-105 lens. I will be buying a 430EX flash in the
> next few weeks, but would really like something more compact for the
> times when I don't want to carry a big hammerhead flash around with me.
>
>
> Would my Contax TLA-200 flash work ok with the 5D or do I risk blowing
> up the camera and/or flash. Presumably I would not achieve any TTL
> flash metering with this setup, but is the metering system on the 5D
> sophisticated enough to work with this flash?
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
>
> James
>
> www.urban-exposure.com


I had a look at your Gallery James and agree that the Contax G2 with Ziess
lenses can create that 'blown away' impression.

Sadly all of my Contax G2 gear will soon be up for sale to finance the
recent purchase of my Canon 5D

Did you build your website using some off the shelf software?

Steve
--
Milk floats, stainless steel sinks...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Loffredo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello, I have a G2 rangefinder kit and have today acquired the
> beautiful EOS 5D w/ 24-105 lens. I will be buying a 430EX flash in the
> next few weeks, but would really like something more compact for the
> times when I don't want to carry a big hammerhead flash around with me.
>
>
> Would my Contax TLA-200 flash work ok with the 5D or do I risk blowing
> up the camera and/or flash. Presumably I would not achieve any TTL
> flash metering with this setup, but is the metering system on the 5D
> sophisticated enough to work with this flash?
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>


The standardised flash-triggering voltage is 24 volts.

Canon, in its infinite wisdom, lowered the maximum allowable flash
trigger voltage in some of its digital cameras (my G2, for example) to 6
(IIRC) volts. A flash with a 24 volt trigger could "fry" those cameras.

So, check your 5D specifications as well as the TLA-200 specifications
(or use a voltmeter to measure it directly) to avoid damage.
 
Reply With Quote
 
jw@urban-exposure.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006

> The standardised flash-triggering voltage is 24 volts.
>
> Canon, in its infinite wisdom, lowered the maximum allowable flash
> trigger voltage in some of its digital cameras (my G2, for example) to 6
> (IIRC) volts. A flash with a 24 volt trigger could "fry" those cameras.
>
> So, check your 5D specifications as well as the TLA-200 specifications
> (or use a voltmeter to measure it directly) to avoid damage.


Because I am impatient, last night I tried the TLA-200 on my 5D in
manual mode (on both the camera and flash). The flash fired without
any problems, but obviously I had to set the apeture on the camera
relative to the distance reading shown on the top of the flash.

What you said about those voltages has worried me though! I will see
if I can find out some info from the specifications, but if I were to
do a voltage test would I just have to place the test sensors on the
hotshoe contacts and fire the shutter? How would I test the voltage of
the flash?

It is really frustrating that there is not a e-ttl flash on the market
that is compact and does not add to the bulk of the camera.

Steve - with regards to my site, it was built using Dreamwever - I have
just been getting my head around advanced dreamweaver and CSS using
some outstanding video tutorials from Lynda.com

I would have one day considered selling my G2 kit to fund an upgrade,
but the kit cost me 1300 three years ago and I would be lucky to get
600 for it now, so I plan to keep it until it becomes 'collectable'.
Anyway I still use the G2 for street photography work, as frankly a
bulky SLR is not an option in that kind of situation.

Best regards,


James

www.urban-exposure.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan Browne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>The standardised flash-triggering voltage is 24 volts.
>>
>>Canon, in its infinite wisdom, lowered the maximum allowable flash
>>trigger voltage in some of its digital cameras (my G2, for example) to 6
>>(IIRC) volts. A flash with a 24 volt trigger could "fry" those cameras.
>>
>>So, check your 5D specifications as well as the TLA-200 specifications
>>(or use a voltmeter to measure it directly) to avoid damage.

>
>
> Because I am impatient, last night I tried the TLA-200 on my 5D in
> manual mode (on both the camera and flash). The flash fired without
> any problems, but obviously I had to set the apeture on the camera
> relative to the distance reading shown on the top of the flash.
>
> What you said about those voltages has worried me though! I will see


It's in the manual. For the 20D it's about 250 V for the sync terminal
and I doubt it will be worse for the 5D. Verify that this applies to
the "hot shoe" leads as well, though it should.

IIRC, some later film Canon's such as the Elan 7 did not tolerate high
voltage flash sync circuits.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

For a variety of flashes sync voltages

Cheers,
Alan
--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
 
Reply With Quote
 
jw@urban-exposure.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
According to that page the TLA-200 comes in at 4.1v, so presumably it
would be perfectly safe with an EOS 5D if it has a tolerance of 250v?

Apologies for the ignorance, but this whole trigger voltage thing is
new to me and I have a degree in photography!


James

www.urban-exposure.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
Malcolm Stewart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-11-2006
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>According to that page the TLA-200 comes in at 4.1v, so presumably it
>would be perfectly safe with an EOS 5D if it has a tolerance of 250v?
>

If you check your 5D manual, you'll find that the 250v refers to the PC
socket.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK





 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan Browne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-14-2006
Malcolm Stewart wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>According to that page the TLA-200 comes in at 4.1v, so presumably it
>>would be perfectly safe with an EOS 5D if it has a tolerance of 250v?
>>

>
> If you check your 5D manual, you'll find that the 250v refers to the PC
> socket.


So what voltage will the 5D shot shoe sync closure take?



--
-- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
-- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
-- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SP3102 Default Dial Plan: Blow-By-Blow Description? (PeteCresswell) UK VOIP 9 02-12-2011 05:14 PM
Firefighters at the site of WTC7 "Move away the building is going to blow up, get back the building is going to blow up." Midex Python 24 05-07-2007 04:23 AM
Zeiss/Contax Distagon on EOS bodies winhag@yahoo.com Digital Photography 4 08-29-2005 10:57 PM
Canon EOS 10D and Canon EOS D30 Gallery Thomas Schultz Digital Photography 0 03-09-2005 01:03 PM
Contax - EOS adapter problem Jytzel Digital Photography 3 12-08-2004 01:57 AM



Advertisments