Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Using a Contax TLA-200 flash on a Canon EOS 5D - will my camera blow up?

Using a Contax TLA-200 flash on a Canon EOS 5D - will my camera blow up?

Gisle Hannemyr

Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> So what voltage will the 5D shot shoe sync closure take?

Nobody outside Canon knows (and Canon is not talking).

This is what we know:

- I have not seen a report on a flash of /any/ voltage frying the
circuits of a Canon digital camera. Don't take this comment to mean
that high voltages are safe. This is a costly experiment to
conduct, so maybe people just refrain from doing this.

- The ISO 10330 spec. says that cameras should be able to accept
trigger voltages up to 24 V. I would be very surprised if Canon did
not follow this spec. - but please do not draw any conclusions based
upon my ability to become surprised.

- Canon's own EX-series flashes is just below 6 volts (I measured my
550EX to 5.98 V).

Based on the above, I would say that this means that the electronics
inside the 5D and ther Canon DSLRs must be designed to handle at least
6 volts, and probably up to 24 volts.

Don't look to Canon for clarification. Canons want their customer
base to buy overpriced Canon EX speedlites, so it is Canon's interest
to keep the FUD-factor high on the subject of flash trigger voltages.

As this page shows, you can usually get a better deal by choosing a
non-EX flash for your EOS body:
http://hannemyr.com/photo/flash.html
SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

Alan Browne

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

> Based on the above, I would say that this means that the electronics
> inside the 5D and ther Canon DSLRs must be designed to handle at least
> 6 volts, and probably up to 24 volts.

I still would not be surprised that that circuit is the same as the PC
sync circuit, so in the case of the 20D at least, 250V . Up to
everyone to test their own!

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Gisle Hannemyr

Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

>> Based on the above, I would say that this means that the
>> electronics inside the 5D and ther Canon DSLRs must be designed to
>> handle at least 6 volts, and probably up to 24 volts.

> I still would not be surprised that that circuit is the same as the
> PC sync circuit, so in the case of the 20D at least, 250V . Up to
> everyone to test their own!

The trigger circuit probably is. But what about the four "extra"
E-TTL controlling sockets your 250 volt center pin will pass over
when you slide your "old school" flash into the 5D hot shoe?

I am not sure the delicate computer circuits below those sockets will
be happy when exposed to 250 volts.

As I've said - I've never met anyone that has managed to fry the
internals of a 5D by putting an old flash gun in its hot-shoe -
but then I've also never met anyone that has admitted to testing
this limit.
SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

Jon B

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It is really frustrating that there is not a e-ttl flash on the market
> that is compact and does not add to the bulk of the camera.

What about the Metz 28 AF-3? A bit taller than the Contax but offers
full E-TTL etc. Looks about the same size and weight as a pack of cigs.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.