Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Memory cards are cheap now

Memory cards are cheap now

Mike Henley

It's sobering to see those Viking 512mb SD cards that I remember were
selling for 180 each on Amazon in the spring of 2003 are now sold for
~10 each on Ebuyer.

I think this is good. It means memory cards are no longer an issue when
choosing a camera like it was 2 years ago when I wanted a Fuji or an
Olympus. It's no longer an issue for me now that I have a Fuji and all
my other devices use SD. What a relief for my strict conscience.

It also means my cards are worthless if I want to put them on ebay, but
that's good, I no longer need to add that to my todo list and I no
longer need to stress out over trying to find that 512mb card that I
have no idea where it vanished or be ****ed off at the possibility that
someone might've taken it (those postage stamp-sized things are so easy
to lose, I wish my devices used compactflash, those are much bigger).

Steve Wolfe

> I no
> longer need to stress out over trying to find that 512mb card that I
> have no idea where it vanished or be ****ed off at the possibility that
> someone might've taken it (those postage stamp-sized things are so easy
> to lose, I wish my devices used compactflash, those are much bigger).

Wait until you see a 512-meg transflash card. In terms of surface area,
they're something like 1/6th the size of an SD card. And they're only about
$40.

steve

Jim Townsend

Mike Henley wrote:

> It's sobering to see those Viking 512mb SD cards that I remember were
> selling for 180 each on Amazon in the spring of 2003 are now sold for
> ~10 each on Ebuyer.

It seems like just yesterday, there was a buzz here in rec.photo.digital
about 128 MB flash cards being sold for under $100 US (After rebate).

Many people said they wouldn't use such a huge card. It wasn't
a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> It's sobering to see those Viking 512mb SD cards that I remember were
> selling for 180 each on Amazon in the spring of 2003 are now sold for
> ~10 each on Ebuyer.

Reminds me of the CF vs. Smartmedia wars which took place here 2-3 years
ago, with people saying they had a "huge investment in CF cards" and
they were worried their next camera might not work with CF cards. This
"huge investment" is now worth almost nothing.
--

Alfred Molon

John Fryatt

Mike Henley wrote:

> It's sobering to see those Viking 512mb SD cards that I remember were
> selling for 180 each on Amazon in the spring of 2003 are now sold for
> ~10 each on Ebuyer.
>
> I think this is good. It means memory cards are no longer an issue when
> choosing a camera like it was 2 years ago when I wanted a Fuji or an
> Olympus. It's no longer an issue for me now that I have a Fuji and all
> my other devices use SD. What a relief for my strict conscience.
>
> It also means my cards are worthless if I want to put them on ebay, but
> that's good, I no longer need to add that to my todo list and I no
> longer need to stress out over trying to find that 512mb card that I
> have no idea where it vanished or be ****ed off at the possibility that
> someone might've taken it (those postage stamp-sized things are so easy
> to lose, I wish my devices used compactflash, those are much bigger).

So, are you saying that the 32MB CF card I got with my Ixus isn't worth
a lot? ;-(

Rich

On 9 Mar 2006 23:21:47 -0800, "Mike Henley" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>It's sobering to see those Viking 512mb SD cards that I remember were
>selling for 180 each on Amazon in the spring of 2003 are now sold for
>~10 each on Ebuyer.
>
>I think this is good. It means memory cards are no longer an issue when
>choosing a camera like it was 2 years ago when I wanted a Fuji or an
>Olympus. It's no longer an issue for me now that I have a Fuji and all
>my other devices use SD. What a relief for my strict conscience.
>
>It also means my cards are worthless if I want to put them on ebay, but
>that's good, I no longer need to add that to my todo list and I no
>longer need to stress out over trying to find that 512mb card that I
>have no idea where it vanished or be ****ed off at the possibility that
>someone might've taken it (those postage stamp-sized things are so easy
>to lose, I wish my devices used compactflash, those are much bigger).

Its nice that they are cheap. Considering a cabal of memory producers
kept prices artificially high for about 4 years....
-Rich

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"Mike Henley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's sobering to see those Viking 512mb SD cards that I remember were
> selling for 180 each on Amazon in the spring of 2003 are now sold for
> ~10 each on Ebuyer.
>
> I think this is good. It means memory cards are no longer an issue when
> choosing a camera like it was 2 years ago when I wanted a Fuji or an
> Olympus. It's no longer an issue for me now that I have a Fuji and all
> my other devices use SD. What a relief for my strict conscience.
>
> It also means my cards are worthless if I want to put them on ebay, but
> that's good, I no longer need to add that to my todo list and I no
> longer need to stress out over trying to find that 512mb card that I
> have no idea where it vanished or be ****ed off at the possibility that
> someone might've taken it (those postage stamp-sized things are so easy
> to lose, I wish my devices used compactflash, those are much bigger).

Ain't competition wonderful?

5 years ago I got a Sony S-70 mainly because it had a Carl Zeiss lens. A
128mb memory stick retailed at 23,000 yen at that time (around $200). 9
months later this had dwindled to 13000 yen. They continued to drop and
nowadays are about 7000 yen. Still more expensive than other media and
naturally Sony has expanded the range of memory sticks making sure each
is incompatible with each other.

The moment a better camera came along I dumped Sony and their
money-making little wheezes in trying to tie you to Sony because you've
already spen

I too worry about those tiny xD cards - I've solved that problem by
buying 1gb cards (still cheaper than the Sony!)

Stewy

In article <9JkQf.23$(E-Mail Removed)>,
John Fryatt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mike Henley wrote:
> >
> > It's sobering to see those Viking 512mb SD cards that I remember were
> > selling for 180 each on Amazon in the spring of 2003 are now sold for
> > ~10 each on Ebuyer.
> >
> > I think this is good. It means memory cards are no longer an issue when
> > choosing a camera like it was 2 years ago when I wanted a Fuji or an
> > Olympus. It's no longer an issue for me now that I have a Fuji and all
> > my other devices use SD. What a relief for my strict conscience.
> >
> > It also means my cards are worthless if I want to put them on ebay, but
> > that's good, I no longer need to add that to my todo list and I no
> > longer need to stress out over trying to find that 512mb card that I
> > have no idea where it vanished or be ****ed off at the possibility that
> > someone might've taken it (those postage stamp-sized things are so easy
> > to lose, I wish my devices used compactflash, those are much bigger).

> So, are you saying that the 32MB CF card I got with my Ixus isn't worth
> a lot? ;-(

I've got 3 16mb xD cards that I can't even give away...

Paul Rubin

John Fryatt <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> So, are you saying that the 32MB CF card I got with my Ixus isn't
> worth a lot? ;-(

32MB CF cards were on sale/closeout at my local Rite-aid for something
like $6.95 a couple months ago.

Mike Henley

Stewy wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> "Mike Henley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > It's sobering to see those Viking 512mb SD cards that I remember were
> > selling for 180 each on Amazon in the spring of 2003 are now sold for
> > ~10 each on Ebuyer.
> >
> > I think this is good. It means memory cards are no longer an issue when
> > choosing a camera like it was 2 years ago when I wanted a Fuji or an
> > Olympus. It's no longer an issue for me now that I have a Fuji and all
> > my other devices use SD. What a relief for my strict conscience.
> >
> > It also means my cards are worthless if I want to put them on ebay, but
> > that's good, I no longer need to add that to my todo list and I no
> > longer need to stress out over trying to find that 512mb card that I
> > have no idea where it vanished or be ****ed off at the possibility that
> > someone might've taken it (those postage stamp-sized things are so easy
> > to lose, I wish my devices used compactflash, those are much bigger).

> Ain't competition wonderful?
>
> 5 years ago I got a Sony S-70 mainly because it had a Carl Zeiss lens. A
> 128mb memory stick retailed at 23,000 yen at that time (around $200). 9
> months later this had dwindled to 13000 yen. They continued to drop and
> nowadays are about 7000 yen. Still more expensive than other media and
> naturally Sony has expanded the range of memory sticks making sure each
> is incompatible with each other.
>
> The moment a better camera came along I dumped Sony and their
> money-making little wheezes in trying to tie you to Sony because you've
> already spen
>
> I too worry about those tiny xD cards - I've solved that problem by
> buying 1gb cards (still cheaper than the Sony!)

Wow I hate Sony now. I had a Sony phase a few years ago and bought all
my stuff from them. What a bitter experience that was. Two laptops each
of them stopped working at ~13 months, eventhough they rarely left the
house and were well looked after. I also bought a Minidisc device that
had that incredibly stupid software that I hated so much.