Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to Crop Your Digital Photo for Printing

How to Crop Your Digital Photo for Printing

chiehcheng@gmail.com

For years, I have been using a small program I wrote on my HP48
calculator to figure out the proper image crop size for a particular
print size. I have finally ported that tool to Java so that anyone with
a web browser could use it. At the same time, I wrote up an article on
how any why you would want to perform this crop. I hope it's helpful to
you:

http://www.camerahacker.com/Techniques/Print_Crop_Tool/

Chieh

J. A. Mc.

On 9 Mar 2006 15:16:04 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) found these unused words
floating about:

>For years, I have been using a small program I wrote on my HP48
>calculator to figure out the proper image crop size for a particular
>print size. I have finally ported that tool to Java so that anyone with
>a web browser could use it. At the same time, I wrote up an article on
>how any why you would want to perform this crop. I hope it's helpful to
>you:
>
>http://www.camerahacker.com/Techniques/Print_Crop_Tool/
>
>Chieh

What's wrong with the built-in tools in PS?

Worked well for me for over 10 years!

theo

> What's wrong with the built-in tools in PS?
>
> Worked well for me for over 10 years!

Do you also feel so defensive about using your Hummer to transport the
golf clubs to the car wash for a wax'n'buff job?
Regards,
Theo

Tesco News

"theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.s57nvpqztgue4c@home-brew...
>> What's wrong with the built-in tools in PS?
>>
>> Worked well for me for over 10 years!
>>

> Do you also feel so defensive about using your Hummer to transport the
> golf clubs to the car wash for a wax'n'buff job?
> Regards,
> Theo

Hi there.

Why do you seem to be irritated at JA Mc for stating the obvious. This is
alt.grapics.photoshop, so presumably most of the posters and readers will
have used photoshop, and it has a Crop Tool.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to use a different & rather
strange program to work out that in order to get a 10 x 8 print, the crop
sizes should be set to 10 x 8. It does not actually do any cropping it just
works out what settings to use.

Roy G

ASAAR

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:04:08 GMT, Tesco News wrote:

> Why do you seem to be irritated at JA Mc for stating the obvious. This is
> alt.grapics.photoshop, so presumably most of the posters and readers will
> have used photoshop, and it has a Crop Tool.
>
> I cannot understand why anyone would want to use a different & rather
> strange program to work out that in order to get a 10 x 8 print, the crop
> sizes should be set to 10 x 8. It does not actually do any cropping it just
> works out what settings to use.

The irritation might be understood a bit better if you check the
message's header, where you can see that this thread did not go out
to only alt.graphics.photoshop, but rec.photo.digital and
alt.photography as well, where presumably many people crop photos
using inexpensive or free programs (such as IrfanView), and might
think it odd that J. A. Mc would question the need for Chieh's offer
of a free Print_Crop_Tool. Buy PS just to get crop info?

chiehcheng@gmail.com

> What's wrong with the built-in tools in PS?
> Worked well for me for over 10 years!

First of all, I haven't said that there is anything wrong with the
built-in tool in PS. But since you have invited me to tell you what's
wrong with it, I will go home this weekend, play around with it, and
make a list of what's wrong with it (if any).

In general, the concept is to understand what these number means, and
how it could be applicable to cropping your photo for printing. Once
you understand how to apply it, you can crop your digital photo in any
way shape or form using any photo manipulation software.

Chieh
--
Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

Fishface

Chieh wrote:
> For years, I have been using a small program I wrote on my HP48
> calculator to figure out the proper image crop size for a particular
> print size. I have finally ported that tool to Java so that anyone with
> a web browser could use it. At the same time, I wrote up an article
> on how any why you would want to perform this crop.

I use this, it's free, and I like it:
http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

Dave

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:24:24 GMT, "Fishface" <(E-Mail Removed)?>
wrote:

> Chieh wrote:
>> For years, I have been using a small program

>I use this, it's free, and I like it:
>http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

This works bloody good! The whole website
is cropped out.

Dave

barry in indy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> This works bloody good! The whole website
> is cropped out.

You can get it here:
http://www.photo-freeware.net/jpegcrops.php

--
barry in indy

DP_Pro

I have to say, this is a neat little program for a photographer for a
printer. The interface is very well written, and I feel the program
has been well thought out and functional.

Photoshop has nothing like this (even bridge doesn't come close to the
user-friendliness of this program). The best part is you don't need to
have Photoshop to get the benefits from this program.

I am making it available to everyone I know that needs a quick utility
like this.

Very nice work!