Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > My 2nd Hockey Game & Olympic Gold Medal Winners

My 2nd Hockey Game & Olympic Gold Medal Winners

Mardon

Hi to everyone who has been following the 2 previous threads
discussing my questions about techniques for photographing hockey.

As promised, I've created a web page for the photos from my second
attempt at covering a hockey game. On this occasion, I actually
focused more on the pre-game and off-ice events because the Olympic
Gold Medal winning curling rink of "Team Gushue" was there. I wanted
to be sure to cover them and the opening ceremonies. As always,
comments welcome.

Here's the URL:
http://www.JustPhotos.ca/oldphotos/sports/FD060304.htm

Mardon

Matt Ion

Mardon wrote:
> Hi to everyone who has been following the 2 previous threads
> discussing my questions about techniques for photographing hockey.
>
> As promised, I've created a web page for the photos from my second
> attempt at covering a hockey game. On this occasion, I actually
> focused more on the pre-game and off-ice events because the Olympic
> Gold Medal winning curling rink of "Team Gushue" was there. I wanted
> to be sure to cover them and the opening ceremonies. As always,
> comments welcome.
>
> Here's the URL:
> http://www.JustPhotos.ca/oldphotos/sports/FD060304.htm

Those are some great pics, Mardon. I like the Pepsi girl close-up, too
bad you caught her looking so stunned

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0610-0, 03/06/2006
Tested on: 3/8/2006 7:52:22 AM

DHB

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:02:23 GMT, Mardon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi to everyone who has been following the 2 previous threads
>discussing my questions about techniques for photographing hockey.
>
>As promised, I've created a web page for the photos from my second
>attempt at covering a hockey game. On this occasion, I actually
>focused more on the pre-game and off-ice events because the Olympic
>Gold Medal winning curling rink of "Team Gushue" was there. I wanted
>to be sure to cover them and the opening ceremonies. As always,
>comments welcome.
>
>Here's the URL:
>http://www.JustPhotos.ca/oldphotos/sports/FD060304.htm
>
>Mardon

Mardon,
I won't go into too much detail about your technical
photographic skills aside to say that they are very good, as is your
timing. The reason for not going into more technical detail is
because I am sure there are far more qualified photographers out there
who can contribute much more helpful feedback.

What I was impressed with in both your 1st & 2nd Hokey photo
shoots was the diversity of what you covered. Often "Pros" just
concentrate on a given style of photography that works for them, such
as high angle shoots to exclude the spectators from the shot or maybe
player level shots with narrow DOF to keep both background &
foreground intentionally out of focus.

As a very accomplished writer once told an aspiring writer who
wished to learn more about him, (to the best of my recall) "you need
only read my books, who I am is pretty much there!". If I apply this
to your photography, it's seems you have the wisdom to both see &
photograph the big picture, not just what's on the ice but a bit of
everything that is required to make the on-ice action possible.

The posed picture of the red rested workers who help in many
ways, the behind the scene preparations (even the Pepsi girls), the
children, mascot on the sidelines & etc.

Also 1 last note, according to a feedback post @ B&H by an
individual who has used the new 30D, he claims that there will be a
firmware hack out soon to add the 3.5 degree spot metering function to
20D cameras. If true this may be of interest to you or others with
the 20D. As for me, I will be upgrading only because I am doing so
from the humble 300D, so for me there are considerable reasons to
justify the upgrade but if I had a 20D, I'd wait & evaluate the next
offering.

Anyway thanks for sharing your work with us, it will help me
to see the settings that work for the 20D because the 30D is basically
the same beast aside from a the larger LCD & a few mainly firmware
upgrades.

For the record I have 26+ years in film & 6+ years in digital
photography but I will always consider myself an amateur because I
have never charged for my photographic contributions & for a
semi-selfish reason. The moment I charge for what I do as a hobby, is
when I suspect that it will begin to feel like work & some of the joy
will be lost. I have photographed weddings as a additional
photographer & simply copied all of the picture onto CD's for the
couple to do with as they please. This makes me happy in much the
same manner that giving away some of your work does for you.

Best of luck with your photography hobby, you are much better
than you may think or your a truly humble individual or both!

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Mardon

Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Those are some great pics, Mardon. I like the Pepsi girl
> close-up, too bad you caught her looking so stunned

Thanks Matt. My son's favorite photo was the "Cold Beer" girl:
http://www.justphotos.ca/oldphotos/s...60303/3707.jpg

When I asked him if he had told his girlfriend about this choice, he
said that he had not. I wonder why?!

Annika1980

>For the record I have 26+ years in film & 6+ years in digital
>photography but I will always consider myself an amateur because I
>have never charged for my photographic contributions & for a
>semi-selfish reason. The moment I charge for what I do as a hobby, is
>when I suspect that it will begin to feel like work & some of the joy
>will be lost.

I don't have your experience, but I share your sentiments and your
passion.
Sometimes I'll be out shooting and some elderly woman will see me and
ask,
"Oh, are you a professional photographer?"
I'll say, "No ma'am, I'm much better than that."

Mardon

DHB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<*snip*>
> What I was impressed with in both your 1st & 2nd Hokey
> photo shoots was the diversity of what you covered.

<*snip*>
> Respectfully, DHB

Thank you for your very kind words, DHB. Feedback like yours doubles
my fun!

It's interesting that you should mention the diversity of my shots.
This morning, I delivered complimentary prints of all my hockey
photos to the office of the local hockey franchise whose games I
covered. This afternoon, I got a telephone call for the team's
Governor (CEO). He was extremely complementary about my work and he
went out of his way to comment on the diversity of my content.
Promoters and sports teams spend a lot of money and time developing
family-oriented promotions like "Zamboni Operator For a Day" and
"Coach for a Day". In my coverage, I got shots of the boys who had
won both of these promotions. After I covered the snowmobile event
last weekend (there's a link to it in the "Sports gallery" of
www.JustPhotos.ca web site), I gave complimentary photos to the
promoter. He got in contact and asked to meet with me because he was
so impressed with the diversity of my coverage. What I'm hearing is
that most "Pros" who cover these events focus (pardon the pun) on the
main-event action to the exclusion of the fans and peripheral
activity. Promoters are in the business of selling entertainment and
I'm starting to realize that they are delighted to see images of
their customers being entertained.

Annika1980

DHB is all over it. You've done an excellent job of capturing not only
what happens on the ice, but the sideshows as well.
In fact, even though I'm a Diet Coke lover I feel like I could go for a
little Pepsi right about now.

Sometimes the most memorable shots happen away from the action.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/57003750

Matt Ion

Mardon wrote:
> Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Those are some great pics, Mardon. I like the Pepsi girl
>>close-up, too bad you caught her looking so stunned

> Thanks Matt. My son's favorite photo was the "Cold Beer" girl:
> http://www.justphotos.ca/oldphotos/s...60303/3707.jpg
>
> When I asked him if he had told his girlfriend about this choice, he
> said that he had not. I wonder why?!

Your boy's got good taste... and good sense

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0610-1, 03/08/2006
Tested on: 3/9/2006 3:56:05 PM

Matt Ion

Mardon wrote:
> DHB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <*snip*>
>
>>What I was impressed with in both your 1st & 2nd Hokey
>>photo shoots was the diversity of what you covered.

> <*snip*>
>
>>Respectfully, DHB

> Thank you for your very kind words, DHB. Feedback like yours doubles
> my fun!
>
> It's interesting that you should mention the diversity of my shots.
> This morning, I delivered complimentary prints of all my hockey
> photos to the office of the local hockey franchise whose games I
> covered. This afternoon, I got a telephone call for the team's
> Governor (CEO). He was extremely complementary about my work and he
> went out of his way to comment on the diversity of my content.
> Promoters and sports teams spend a lot of money and time developing
> family-oriented promotions like "Zamboni Operator For a Day" and
> "Coach for a Day". In my coverage, I got shots of the boys who had
> won both of these promotions. After I covered the snowmobile event
> last weekend (there's a link to it in the "Sports gallery" of
> www.JustPhotos.ca web site), I gave complimentary photos to the
> promoter. He got in contact and asked to meet with me because he was
> so impressed with the diversity of my coverage. What I'm hearing is
> that most "Pros" who cover these events focus (pardon the pun) on the
> main-event action to the exclusion of the fans and peripheral
> activity. Promoters are in the business of selling entertainment and
> I'm starting to realize that they are delighted to see images of
> their customers being entertained.

Well said!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0610-1, 03/08/2006
Tested on: 3/9/2006 3:58:09 PM