Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > SLIGHTLY OT: Professional photographers' websites

SLIGHTLY OT: Professional photographers' websites

Mike

Wow! I have just spent an hour trying to find a professional photographer to
do a pretty straightforward studio shot of my parents with my wife and I for
a wedding anniversary present. The standard of the websites I have been
looking at is bad, bad, bad. Poorly laid out, heavy on flash and other such
nonsense, typefaces that hurt the eyes - I've seen it all.

I must admit I am very surprised - I'd have thought that a user-friendly,
informative, well designed website was an absolute necessity for a pro these
days. Those that I have seen are next to useless -- and I'm still looking
for a photographer!!

It's not as if I live in a back-of-the-woods area - I'm in a city of 300,000
souls and there are PLENTY of photographers. None, however, have caught on
to how important the "virtual shop front" is nowadays.

Rant over!

miles

Mike wrote:
> Wow! I have just spent an hour trying to find a professional photographer to
> do a pretty straightforward studio shot of my parents with my wife and I for
> a wedding anniversary present. The standard of the websites I have been
> looking at is bad, bad, bad. Poorly laid out, heavy on flash and other such
> nonsense, typefaces that hurt the eyes - I've seen it all.
>
> I must admit I am very surprised - I'd have thought that a user-friendly,
> informative, well designed website was an absolute necessity for a pro these
> days. Those that I have seen are next to useless -- and I'm still looking
> for a photographer!!
>
> It's not as if I live in a back-of-the-woods area - I'm in a city of 300,000
> souls and there are PLENTY of photographers. None, however, have caught on
> to how important the "virtual shop front" is nowadays.

A pro photographer maybe lousy at website design or even ad layout and
content. I would tend to think that they would hire someone to create a
website that does show off their work. Sounds like they'd be better off
without their website.

Dennis Pogson

miles wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>> Wow! I have just spent an hour trying to find a professional
>> photographer to do a pretty straightforward studio shot of my
>> parents with my wife and I for a wedding anniversary present. The
>> standard of the websites I have been looking at is bad, bad, bad.
>> Poorly laid out, heavy on flash and other such nonsense, typefaces
>> that hurt the eyes - I've seen it all.
>>
>> I must admit I am very surprised - I'd have thought that a
>> user-friendly, informative, well designed website was an absolute
>> necessity for a pro these days. Those that I have seen are next to
>> useless -- and I'm still looking for a photographer!!
>>
>> It's not as if I live in a back-of-the-woods area - I'm in a city of
>> 300,000 souls and there are PLENTY of photographers. None, however,
>> have caught on to how important the "virtual shop front" is nowadays.

> A pro photographer maybe lousy at website design or even ad layout and
> content. I would tend to think that they would hire someone to
> create a website that does show off their work. Sounds like they'd
> be better off without their website.

As a means of generating business, a website is absolutely useless unless
you can afford extensive advertising to direct people to your website, or
your company is so huge it is a household name.

Lots of people with no experience of owning a website have no idea how
little such a method contributes to the success of a small business. You
MUST back it up with advertising in the press.

[BnH]

And you are in ? if you are willing to pay, a master portfolio is availiable
@ http://www.yervant.com
In most cases, your local Yellow pages should have a list of them or just
visit your local uni and ask the photography teachers there.

=bob=

news:dujugt$gk0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wow! I have just spent an hour trying to find a professional photographer
> do a pretty straightforward studio shot of my parents with my wife and I
> for
> a wedding anniversary present. The standard of the websites I have been
> looking at is bad, bad, bad. Poorly laid out, heavy on flash and other
> such
> nonsense, typefaces that hurt the eyes - I've seen it all.
>
> I must admit I am very surprised - I'd have thought that a user-friendly,
> informative, well designed website was an absolute necessity for a pro
> these
> days. Those that I have seen are next to useless -- and I'm still looking
> for a photographer!!
>
> It's not as if I live in a back-of-the-woods area - I'm in a city of
> 300,000
> souls and there are PLENTY of photographers. None, however, have caught on
> to how important the "virtual shop front" is nowadays.
>
> Rant over!

Tesco News

news:dujugt$gk0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wow! I have just spent an hour trying to find a professional photographer
> do a pretty straightforward studio shot of my parents with my wife and I
> for
> a wedding anniversary present. The standard of the websites I have been
> looking at is bad, bad, bad. Poorly laid out, heavy on flash and other
> such
> nonsense, typefaces that hurt the eyes - I've seen it all.
>
> I must admit I am very surprised - I'd have thought that a user-friendly,
> informative, well designed website was an absolute necessity for a pro
> these
> days. Those that I have seen are next to useless -- and I'm still looking
> for a photographer!!
>
> It's not as if I live in a back-of-the-woods area - I'm in a city of
> 300,000
> souls and there are PLENTY of photographers. None, however, have caught on
> to how important the "virtual shop front" is nowadays.
>
> Rant over!

Hi.

There are some excellent Pro photographers out there with superb websites.

I am not one of them.

If you had given some indication of your location, you might have been
pointed in the right direction. Did you actually try any of the Trade
Association websites for links.

Roy G

Bruce Lewis

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I must admit I am very surprised - I'd have thought that a user-friendly,
> informative, well designed website was an absolute necessity for a pro these
> days. Those that I have seen are next to useless -- and I'm still looking
> for a photographer!!

A good photographer likely has strong artistic opinions that have little
to do with user-friendliness or being informative. The web is a medium
that is unfriendly to those who want full control over aspect ratio,
resolution and color. I actually find it unsurprising that many
photographers' web sites are not well designed.