Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Problem with d/loading to PC running Windows ME

Problem with d/loading to PC running Windows ME

Conrad

Hello

I am attempting to download pctures from a Lumicron 618z3 camera to a PC
running
Windows ME but am having problems accessing the camera.
The camera is recognised on connection, is visble in Device Manager
(working
correctly) but is not accessible via 'My Computer' or the supplied
Photoimpression software.

The camera is functioning perfectly and in fact can be attached to a PC
running XP with no problem.

I repair/upgrade PCs as a part time business so am familiar with device
drivers, enabling USB, etc but this one has me baffled.

I guess it must be due to driver problems but I shouldn't need one for
Windows ME
according to the instruction manual. Installing a driver for 98 made no
difference but was worth a try.
I have an idea it is not TWAIN compatible so may not be detectable by
importing functions in, say, Paintshop Pro but should surely be
recognised in Explorer/My Computer.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the cause of this problem.

Thanks

Conrad

Ed Ruf

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:16:03 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Conrad"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am attempting to download pctures from a Lumicron 618z3 camera to a PC
>running
> Windows ME but am having problems accessing the camera.

> Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the cause of this problem.

Cause, no. Solution, yes. Inexpensive card reader.

http://EdwardGRuf.com

Christopher Muto

i suspect that this is a problem specific to windows me or the computer
hardware itself. window me has problems with some image devices that would
work ok with windows 98. and many machines that came out about the time of
windows me have no standard usb ports. you could try installing a usb 2.0
card into your pc and see if that works (about $12, follow link below) or i
suggest that you put windows xp on your computer or get a new computer
altogether. installing xp requires at least 256mb to run acceptably and
given that your machine came with windows me i suspect it does not have that
much memory. for some older computers it is very expensive to add memory.
that along with the fact that you probably want a larger hard disk too, and
have to purchase a copy of windows xp all suggest that a new computer might
be a smarter alternative (and a time savings vs reinstalling everything from
scratch). bestbuy/staples/circuitcity sell a great performing low cost
compaq computer for under $400. that is if the $12 idea does not pan out
first...

"Conrad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:duhjsb$385$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I am attempting to download pctures from a Lumicron 618z3 camera to a PC
> running
> Windows ME but am having problems accessing the camera.
> The camera is recognised on connection, is visble in Device Manager
> (working
> correctly) but is not accessible via 'My Computer' or the supplied
> Photoimpression software.
>
> The camera is functioning perfectly and in fact can be attached to a PC
> running XP with no problem.
>
> I repair/upgrade PCs as a part time business so am familiar with device
> drivers, enabling USB, etc but this one has me baffled.
>
> I guess it must be due to driver problems but I shouldn't need one for
> Windows ME
> according to the instruction manual. Installing a driver for 98 made no
> difference but was worth a try.
> I have an idea it is not TWAIN compatible so may not be detectable by
> importing functions in, say, Paintshop Pro but should surely be
> recognised in Explorer/My Computer.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the cause of this problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Conrad

Tesco News

Hi there.

Suggesting that someone spend real money to replace his computer system in
order to accommodate a 45 camera bought from a Supermarket, is ridiculous.

A 12 card reader is cheaper.

Roy G

Christopher Muto

that's an over simplification of what i said... read it again for the many
points that you missed. also, your suggestion of gettin a usb card reader
seems reasonable but since he has usb problems with the camera there is
nothing to suggest that a usb card reader would not suffer the same fate.
installing a usb 2.0 pci card is the thing to try or to get a new computer
rather than waste money upgrading the old one. if that is out of the
question due to financial contraints then the op should just take the memory
card to a boots store and print directly from one of their kiosks. or just
return the camera and stick with film

"Tesco News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vwjPf.77425$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there.
>
> Suggesting that someone spend real money to replace his computer system in
> order to accommodate a 45 camera bought from a Supermarket, is
> ridiculous.
>
> A 12 card reader is cheaper.
>
> Roy G

Tesco News

"Christopher Muto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> that's an over simplification of what i said... read it again for the many
> points that you missed. also, your suggestion of gettin a usb card reader
> seems reasonable but since he has usb problems with the camera there is
> nothing to suggest that a usb card reader would not suffer the same fate.
> installing a usb 2.0 pci card is the thing to try or to get a new computer
> rather than waste money upgrading the old one. if that is out of the
> question due to financial contraints then the op should just take the
> memory card to a boots store and print directly from one of their kiosks.
> or just return the camera and stick with film
>
> "Tesco News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vwjPf.77425$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi there.
>>
>> Suggesting that someone spend real money to replace his computer system
>> in order to accommodate a 45 camera bought from a Supermarket, is
>> ridiculous.
>>
>> A 12 card reader is cheaper.
>>
>> Roy G

Hi.

Yes I do undertand all the good points you made, and they would make sense
to a photographic or computer savvy person.

However these cameras are unlikely to be bought by any such person, and if
you do a Google you will soon see that others have similar problems, and
rapidly get an idea of the market they are aimed at.

So it all has to be kept very simple and inexpensive.

Roy G

Running,Running! audit2 Firefox 1 02-01-2008 09:27 PM
Running into MTU issues with VPN running on Cisco 7206VXR amit1017 Cisco 1 10-18-2007 01:03 PM
modify a long-running python script while it is running? Benjamin Rutt Python 2 12-20-2005 01:42 PM
The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications (on Windows 2000) Alex Vinokur Computer Support 1 10-21-2004 07:43 AM
I'm trying to network a deasktop running 98SE and a laptop running XP. Marc Computer Support 8 11-19-2003 03:01 AM

Advertisments