Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photographing Arena League Football

Photographing Arena League Football

Pictures

I am looking for some tips on photographing Areana League Football. I will
be attending a game this weekend. I have field level seats. I will be
using my K-M 5D. I have a 70-300 and an 18-70 lens.

Anyone here who has shot photos at an Arena League Football game?

CoolAzzRob***

www.rollingbluethunder.com/rbt2/
Rolling Blue Thunder Productions, Inc.
Still Doing What It Do!

John McWilliams

Pictures wrote:

> I am looking for some tips on photographing Areana League Football. I will
> be attending a game this weekend. I have field level seats. I will be
> using my K-M 5D. I have a 70-300 and an 18-70 lens.
>
> Anyone here who has shot photos at an Arena League Football game?

Read and reread the thread on hockey shooting.

You have a press pass??

--
John McWilliams

Pictures

Nope. I just have tickets for the field level at the 50 yardline.

--

CoolAzzRob***

www.rollingbluethunder.com/rbt2/
Rolling Blue Thunder Productions, Inc.
Still Doing What It Do!

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pictures wrote:
>
>> I am looking for some tips on photographing Areana League Football. I
>> will be attending a game this weekend. I have field level seats. I will
>> be using my K-M 5D. I have a 70-300 and an 18-70 lens.
>>
>> Anyone here who has shot photos at an Arena League Football game?
>>

> Read and reread the thread on hockey shooting.
>
> You have a press pass??
>
> --
> John McWilliams

Pictures

Read the hockey thread and did google searches for both photographing hockey
and football. I just figured someone in here may have direct experience
with ALF. I know there are going to be diffrences between the two. The
biggest to me is going to be the lighting. I know with hockey, been to a
lot of them this season (not photographing), it is very bright due to the
light reflecting from the ice and the white ice itself. With the football I
expect it to be darker. Of course there will not be the light reflecting
from the astroturf. From watching the games on TV it does not appear to be
as brightly lit as hockey games.

CoolAzzRob***

www.rollingbluethunder.com/rbt2/
Rolling Blue Thunder Productions, Inc.
Still Doing What It Do!

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pictures wrote:
>
>> I am looking for some tips on photographing Areana League Football. I
>> will be attending a game this weekend. I have field level seats. I will
>> be using my K-M 5D. I have a 70-300 and an 18-70 lens.
>>
>> Anyone here who has shot photos at an Arena League Football game?
>>

> Read and reread the thread on hockey shooting.
>
> You have a press pass??
>
> --
> John McWilliams

John McWilliams

Pictures wrote:
> Read the hockey thread and did google searches for both photographing hockey
> and football. I just figured someone in here may have direct experience
> with ALF. I know there are going to be diffrences between the two. The
> biggest to me is going to be the lighting. I know with hockey, been to a
> lot of them this season (not photographing), it is very bright due to the
> light reflecting from the ice and the white ice itself. With the football I
> expect it to be darker. Of course there will not be the light reflecting
> from the astroturf. From watching the games on TV it does not appear to be
> as brightly lit as hockey games.

Most arenas don't use different lighting for hockey vs. anything else.

IAE, the most important thing is to check with the arena so that you're
not left having to walk the bag back to your car or check it with them
if your equipment is not allowed in. Large chance that it won't be let in.

--
John McWilliams

Minister of Information

OK I have gotten the ok to shoot photos at the game. With that out of the
way, is there anyone who has done shot photos of Arena League Football who
is willing to lend his or her expertise or experiences?

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pictures wrote:
>> Read the hockey thread and did google searches for both photographing
>> hockey and football. I just figured someone in here may have direct
>> experience with ALF. I know there are going to be diffrences between the
>> two. The biggest to me is going to be the lighting. I know with hockey,
>> been to a lot of them this season (not photographing), it is very bright
>> due to the light reflecting from the ice and the white ice itself. With
>> the football I expect it to be darker. Of course there will not be the
>> light reflecting from the astroturf. From watching the games on TV it
>> does not appear to be as brightly lit as hockey games.
>>

> Most arenas don't use different lighting for hockey vs. anything else.
>
> IAE, the most important thing is to check with the arena so that you're
> not left having to walk the bag back to your car or check it with them if
> your equipment is not allowed in. Large chance that it won't be let in.
>
> --
> John McWilliams

Pictures

Went to the game and had no problem getting my camera into the arena. No
one said a word to me about shooting photographs. (I called the head of
security [he works wth me] the day before just to double check that it would
be ok for me to bring my camera.) It was an interesting time. I was 2 rows
from the field right behind the home team's bench about 5 feet above the
field. I did not get the chance to go down to field level because I was
with my wife. I will go down to field level the next game I make it to.

Things I learned...

*The lower level seats (where I was) are not on concrete but stong aluminum.
What does that mean to this experience? It vibrates when people walk on it.
*I never knew this arena had strobes. They flashed during some of the
pre-game activities but not during the game.
*It was very well lit so there was no need to use the flash.
*I watched the team photographer. I didn't really learn anything from
watching him work but then again I didn't spend a lot of time with my eye on
him. I did notice he used the flash while he was standing behind the boards
at the endzone when the ball was right there on the goal line. That sort of
surprised me. Not sure if he was using it for fill flash or what.
*If I pay for seats the next time I attend, they will be on the opposite
side of the field so that I can get more team reaction shots.
*It's a lot harder getting good shots of cheerleaders than I thought it
would be but I had a good time trying.

I will have the photos (what I feel are the better ones) posted on my
website in a day or two so I can get some critiques from all of you fine
people.

CoolAzzRob***

www.rollingbluethunder.com/rbt2/
Rolling Blue Thunder Productions, Inc.
Still Doing What It Do!

"Pictures" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking for some tips on photographing Areana League Football. I will
>be attending a game this weekend. I have field level seats. I will be
>using my K-M 5D. I have a 70-300 and an 18-70 lens.
>
> Anyone here who has shot photos at an Arena League Football game?
>

> CoolAzzRob***
>
> www.rollingbluethunder.com/rbt2/
> Rolling Blue Thunder Productions, Inc.
> Still Doing What It Do!

Pictures

Finally got the photos up. Check them out and let me know what you think.
So far this is only the cheerleader photos but the rest are on the way. I
didn't think you would mind me starting with the cheerleaders.

CoolAzzRob***

www.rollingbluethunder.com/nu/
Rolling Blue Thunder Productions, Inc.
Still Doing What It Do!

"Pictures" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking for some tips on photographing Areana League Football. I will
>be attending a game this weekend. I have field level seats. I will be
>using my K-M 5D. I have a 70-300 and an 18-70 lens.
>
> Anyone here who has shot photos at an Arena League Football game?
>

> CoolAzzRob***
>
> www.rollingbluethunder.com/rbt2/
> Rolling Blue Thunder Productions, Inc.
> Still Doing What It Do!

fishfry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Pictures" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Finally got the photos up. Check them out and let me know what you think.
> So far this is only the cheerleader photos

that's all we need.

Pictures

And here are some ref photos. As you can tell by the number of photos, they
played a signifigant role in the game. Please give me some critique of the
photos (both these and the cheerleader photos).

http://www.rollingbluethunder.com/sp...tans/Referees/

National football League. parvez Ruby 0 10-28-2012 05:37 PM
AFL (Australian Football League) Bert C Programming 17 07-29-2008 03:52 PM
Football Football Football Mr.Cools Digital Photography 0 06-30-2006 01:17 PM
FOOTBALL IS FOOTBALL !!! Annika1980 Digital Photography 6 10-27-2005 09:30 PM
New in the Developer arena =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlcyBDLg==?= MCSD 6 12-27-2004 12:01 AM

Advertisments