Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Tips for Hockey Photography?

Tips for Hockey Photography?

Mardon

This weekend will be my first time photographing a hockey game. It's
at a relatively new, 6,000 seat stadium which will be nearly full.
I've been granted access by the team's management, so I'll have my
choice of shooting locations. My camera is a Canon 20D. My
available lenses include a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM telephoto,
a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM ultra-wide zoom, a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
USM prime, and a Canon Extender EF 1.4x II. I currently have 2, 1 GB
SanDisk Extreme III CF cards. I've ordered a 4GB Extreme III but it
will not be available by Saturday.

Fortunately, I'm shooting freelance, so I'm not obligated to deliver
any product but pride is encouraging me to do a good job. I always
shoot everything in RAW and use PS CS2 for post processing.

What advice do you have for me as I plan for this shoot? Can I shoot
evectively though the glass? Will this affect autofocus? I plan to
use a monopod for telephoto shots. Is there likely to be enough
light to use the 1.4x with the 70-200mm? Should I leave the 50 mm at
home? Are wide shots or tele shots generally more interesting? Are
the 2, 1GB cards going to be enough? What ISO is apt to be best?
Etc., Etc. ... TIA

Jason

All the gear, no idea?

I'm sorry, but it seems to be very true in this case.

"Mardon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns977AAF4F46C90mgb72mgbhotmailcom@140.99.99. 130...
> This weekend will be my first time photographing a hockey game. It's
> at a relatively new, 6,000 seat stadium which will be nearly full.
> I've been granted access by the team's management, so I'll have my
> choice of shooting locations. My camera is a Canon 20D. My
> available lenses include a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM telephoto,
> a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM ultra-wide zoom, a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
> USM prime, and a Canon Extender EF 1.4x II. I currently have 2, 1 GB
> SanDisk Extreme III CF cards. I've ordered a 4GB Extreme III but it
> will not be available by Saturday.
>
> Fortunately, I'm shooting freelance, so I'm not obligated to deliver
> any product but pride is encouraging me to do a good job. I always
> shoot everything in RAW and use PS CS2 for post processing.
>
> What advice do you have for me as I plan for this shoot? Can I shoot
> evectively though the glass? Will this affect autofocus? I plan to
> use a monopod for telephoto shots. Is there likely to be enough
> light to use the 1.4x with the 70-200mm? Should I leave the 50 mm at
> home? Are wide shots or tele shots generally more interesting? Are
> the 2, 1GB cards going to be enough? What ISO is apt to be best?
> Etc., Etc. ... TIA

Jason

Here's a tip. Learn to crawl, walk and run before you enter marathons.

"Mardon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns977AAF4F46C90mgb72mgbhotmailcom@140.99.99. 130...
> This weekend will be my first time photographing a hockey game. It's
> at a relatively new, 6,000 seat stadium which will be nearly full.
> I've been granted access by the team's management, so I'll have my
> choice of shooting locations. My camera is a Canon 20D. My
> available lenses include a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM telephoto,
> a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM ultra-wide zoom, a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
> USM prime, and a Canon Extender EF 1.4x II. I currently have 2, 1 GB
> SanDisk Extreme III CF cards. I've ordered a 4GB Extreme III but it
> will not be available by Saturday.
>
> Fortunately, I'm shooting freelance, so I'm not obligated to deliver
> any product but pride is encouraging me to do a good job. I always
> shoot everything in RAW and use PS CS2 for post processing.
>
> What advice do you have for me as I plan for this shoot? Can I shoot
> evectively though the glass? Will this affect autofocus? I plan to
> use a monopod for telephoto shots. Is there likely to be enough
> light to use the 1.4x with the 70-200mm? Should I leave the 50 mm at
> home? Are wide shots or tele shots generally more interesting? Are
> the 2, 1GB cards going to be enough? What ISO is apt to be best?
> Etc., Etc. ... TIA

Mardon

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Here's a tip. Learn to crawl, walk and run before you enter
> marathons.

I think I can crawl and walk OK, so why not try a marathon. The
only 100% sure way to fail at something is to never try doing it!

A sample of some of my work is here: http://www.JustPhotos.ca/

Hopefully, I'll get some productive feedback on the hockey shoot.
In any event, I will be there. I'll post some of the pics from
the shoot on my website next week; just in case anyone wants to
see if I was able to finish the marathon or not!

Football Fan

I would use the 50mm wide open at ISO 3200. Can't go wrong.

"Mardon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns977AAF4F46C90mgb72mgbhotmailcom@140.99.99. 130...
> This weekend will be my first time photographing a hockey game. It's
> at a relatively new, 6,000 seat stadium which will be nearly full.
> I've been granted access by the team's management, so I'll have my
> choice of shooting locations. My camera is a Canon 20D. My
> available lenses include a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM telephoto,
> a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM ultra-wide zoom, a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
> USM prime, and a Canon Extender EF 1.4x II. I currently have 2, 1 GB
> SanDisk Extreme III CF cards. I've ordered a 4GB Extreme III but it
> will not be available by Saturday.
>
> Fortunately, I'm shooting freelance, so I'm not obligated to deliver
> any product but pride is encouraging me to do a good job. I always
> shoot everything in RAW and use PS CS2 for post processing.
>
> What advice do you have for me as I plan for this shoot? Can I shoot
> evectively though the glass? Will this affect autofocus? I plan to
> use a monopod for telephoto shots. Is there likely to be enough
> light to use the 1.4x with the 70-200mm? Should I leave the 50 mm at
> home? Are wide shots or tele shots generally more interesting? Are
> the 2, 1GB cards going to be enough? What ISO is apt to be best?
> Etc., Etc. ... TIA

rafe b

"Mardon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns977AB3D81BC89mgb72mgbhotmailcom@140.99.99. 130...

> A sample of some of my work is here: http://www.JustPhotos.ca/

There's some nice stuff there. I liked "Quidi Valley Slipway."
You're doing fine. Don't let the bastards get you down

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

rugbyphoto

Good luck with that, Hockey is great to shoot.

I expect the 1.4 tele can be left in the bag as can the 50mm. It is
likely that you will only use the 70-200..

I have had reasonable success shooting from the stands with an f2.8
lens (F8 at 500 and ISO 800) but it really depends on the arena and how
well lit it will be. When you are shooting through the glass you have
to step down to F4 to ensure a sharp image.
I have also found that my 580EX bounced off the silved arena roof has
helped too.

Lastly, be sure to adjust for the lighting and not rely on the auto
whitebalance, in my 10D that makes a big difference to the end result.

garry
www.rugbyphoto.com

Mardon

"rafe b" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There's some nice stuff there. I liked "Quidi Valley Slipway."
> You're doing fine. Don't let the bastards get you down

> rafe b
> www.terrapinphoto.com

Thanks, Rafe, for your words of encouragement. No need to fear about
me "getting down" though. I've been hanging out on Usenet for so
long that I've developed a pretty think skin. I try to keep my
answering.

I don't know if you checked out the "Galleries" item in the menu bar
of my photo webpage. The sports gallery has photos from a shot that
I did this past Sunday of X-treme Ski-dooing. I think some of the
shots came out pretty good, so I'm hoping that the hockey will work
out OK too. The Ski-doo shots can be seen by going through the
"galleries" menu item or directly be going to:
http://www.justphotos.ca/oldphotos/s...obileraces.htm

Cheers, Mardon

Jason

No offence, but when you have gear like that and ask newbie questions like
what ISO should you use and whether wide or telephoto shots are more
interesting, I think you think you have a lot to learn about photography.

I love your attitude though! And no, I am not being sarcastic.

The questions you are asking are like asking how fast you can take a corner
on a racing circuit. The racing driver will know by experience, touch and
feel at the time. So, learn how to handle your machine and practice as much
as you can. Learn from your mistakes. There is no magic formula.

"Mardon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns977AB3D81BC89mgb72mgbhotmailcom@140.99.99. 130...
> "Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Here's a tip. Learn to crawl, walk and run before you enter
> > marathons.

> I think I can crawl and walk OK, so why not try a marathon. The
> only 100% sure way to fail at something is to never try doing it!
>
> A sample of some of my work is here: http://www.JustPhotos.ca/
>
> Hopefully, I'll get some productive feedback on the hockey shoot.
> In any event, I will be there. I'll post some of the pics from
> the shoot on my website next week; just in case anyone wants to
> see if I was able to finish the marathon or not!

bill

Hi, I'm new to this group but lurk here now and then. I hope the following
advice will be helpful for you. BTW your website photos are really
excellent.

I would get to the game a little early and do a few shots during the warmup
period and using the histogram make your adjustments accordingly. I sugest
that you set your white balance also. Shoot as close to the glass as you
can. I would set the iso to accept a speed of say 1/250 if you use your 200
mm. I assume you are shooting in manual mode also.

Bill

news:(E-Mail Removed)...