Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon mount Zeiss lens resolves 320 lp/mm

Nikon mount Zeiss lens resolves 320 lp/mm

Alfred Molon

In article <440839c0$0$11075$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> So unless photon shot statistics can be changed, there is no benefit
> for a lens to resolve much more than some 80 cycles/mm with high MTF,
> quite on the contrary. High MTF for lower spatial frequencies is what
> does matter, and that usually means lower MTF for extreme resolution.

Bart, "resolve" does not mean anything. The benefit of the Zeiss lens is
that the MTF will be higher at for instance 80 or 100 lp/mm.

Besides a camera with a sensor with 2 micrometer pixels (= 250 lp/mm)
needs a lens with sufficient MTF at 250 lp/mm, not just fractions of a
percentage point.
--

Alfred Molon

Bart van der Wolf

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
SNIP
> Bart, "resolve" does not mean anything.

As I explained in another post in this thread, it does mean something,
unless you disagree with the ISO standards for Still Image Cameras.

> The benefit of the Zeiss lens is that the MTF will be higher
> at for instance 80 or 100 lp/mm.

Higher than what? General optics design will show you that one needs
to make choices, e.g. high MTF at low spatial frequencies *or* high
MTF at high spatial frequencies.

> Besides a camera with a sensor with 2 micrometer pixels
> (= 250 lp/mm) needs a lens with sufficient MTF at 250 lp/mm,
> not just fractions of a percentage point.

Which would make it perform less at lower spatial frequencies. Choices
are hard. Besides, most lens designs for high spatial frequencies
involve physically small lenses which avoids having to correct for
cornes and edges of a large image circle.

Bart

David J. Littleboy

"Bart van der Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> SNIP
>> Bart, "resolve" does not mean anything.

> As I explained in another post in this thread, it does mean something,
> unless you disagree with the ISO standards for Still Image Cameras.

It appears that Zeiss disagres<g>. All the "resolution" claims on the page
originally referenced in this thread are for signals on the film that are
too low contrast to be detectable in a print or scan and are only visible
with a microscope. (And I wonder what contrast their test targets were. I
bet they were at least 1000:1, probably a lot higher (which would require
some sort of backlit transparency). Also, I suspect that they were using
monochromatic deep blue light.)

>> Besides a camera with a sensor with 2 micrometer pixels
>> (= 250 lp/mm) needs a lens with sufficient MTF at 250 lp/mm,
>> not just fractions of a percentage point.

> Which would make it perform less at lower spatial frequencies. Choices are
> hard. Besides, most lens designs for high spatial frequencies involve
> physically small lenses which avoids having to correct for cornes and
> edges of a large image circle.

And Zeiss was specifically clear that these "resolutions" were only observed
at the center of the image.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Alfred Molon

In article <4408cab6$0$11080$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Higher than what? General optics design will show you that one needs
> to make choices, e.g. high MTF at low spatial frequencies *or* high
> MTF at high spatial frequencies.

Now that's interesting. Do you have any reference about that ?
--

Alfred Molon

Father Kodak

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 12:56:20 GMT, deryck lant <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

ts-frame/098729cea9ef2428c1257118005d1d20

>There is mention of a 10 blade iris. They sound very desirable lenses.
>The wideangles should be stunning.

Is there something I'm missing here? I assume that because of the
name of the group, almost everyone here shoots digital, probably only
digital. So why the buzz over non AE/AF these lenses?

I'm still a film guy, so these lenses _might_ be interesting to me,
because I have a combination of bodies that are both MF and AF. But I
will go digital REAL SOON NOW and I expect that any lenses I buy
should utilize the auto-exposure/auto-focus features of any new DSLR.

Father Kodak