Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon mount Zeiss lens resolves 320 lp/mm

Reply
Thread Tools

Nikon mount Zeiss lens resolves 320 lp/mm

 
 
deryck lant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b...257118005d1d20

Planar T F1.4 50mm ZF 500 EUR

The Planar T F1.4 85mm ZF 1000 EUR resolves 250 lp/mm

Available April 1st and they are very affordable.

Deryck
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nikojorj_jaimepaslapub@yahoo.Fr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006

deryck lant wrote:
> http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b...257118005d1d20
>
> Planar T F1.4 50mm ZF 500 EUR


The datasheet shows a measured MTF graph - it could be interesting to
compare with
http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/det..._14D-443.shtml the
measured MTF of a nikkor 50/1.4D (300+EUR incl VAT, and AF, but who
cares?).
The extremely low MTF may not be the same, but the more practical ones
of 10, 20 & 40lp/mm are not that far.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David J. Littleboy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
"deryck lant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b...257118005d1d20
>
> Planar T F1.4 50mm ZF 500 EUR
>
> The Planar T F1.4 85mm ZF 1000 EUR resolves 250 lp/mm
>
> Available April 1st and they are very affordable.


What a snore. There are no films or sensors in production that resolve
anywhere close to that. All that wasted resolution does is aggravate Moiré
in your dSLR.

And twice the price of a lens that's just as good in real life isn't "very
affordable".

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan


 
Reply With Quote
 
nikojorj_jaimepaslapub@yahoo.Fr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> All that wasted resolution does is aggravate Moiré
> in your dSLR.


Zeiss wouldn't have done such a shot-in-the-foot, for the following 2
reasons :
- the press release says "resolve" 320lp/mm, it doesn't specify whether
the MTF is 2 or 4% at this resolution ;oP.
- I'm not really involved in that field (but I'd like and you are
welcome to send me all the zillions dollars you want to support my
personal knowledge and research in this area), but the only DSLR
without AA-filter should be the not-very-common Kodak DCSPro14n?

But saying that it is not a real problem doesn't imply it is one great
step beyond anyway ;oPPP.

 
Reply With Quote
 
deryck lant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
The message <du6jet$2um$(E-Mail Removed)>
from "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> contains these words:

> "deryck lant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b...257118005d1d20
> >
> > Planar T F1.4 50mm ZF 500 EUR
> >
> > The Planar T F1.4 85mm ZF 1000 EUR resolves 250 lp/mm
> >
> > Available April 1st and they are very affordable.


> What a snore. There are no films or sensors in production that resolve
> anywhere close to that. All that wasted resolution does is aggravate Moiré
> in your dSLR.


> And twice the price of a lens that's just as good in real life isn't "very
> affordable".


Film was used to test the Nikon F6 camera. Future Nikon DX sensors will
be extremely high res.

In the Uk the discount price for the Nikkor f1.4 50mm is 220UKP the f1.4
85mm is 800UKP.

Take your misinformation elseware. You pollute the newsgroups.

Deryck
 
Reply With Quote
 
Philip Homburg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
In article <du6jet$2um$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David J. Littleboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"deryck lant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b...257118005d1d20
>>
>> Planar T F1.4 50mm ZF 500 EUR
>>
>> The Planar T F1.4 85mm ZF 1000 EUR resolves 250 lp/mm
>>
>> Available April 1st and they are very affordable.

>
>What a snore. There are no films or sensors in production that resolve
>anywhere close to that. All that wasted resolution does is aggravate Moiré
>in your dSLR.


First some people claim that a D2X is a problem because diffraction kicks
in a f/8 and then producing high quality lenses don't matter anymore
because some people want to take picture of fabrics (and other man made
objects).

>And twice the price of a lens that's just as good in real life isn't "very
>affordable".


Well, I think 500 euro for a new high quality lens is very affordable.
I often pay more than 500 euro for second hand lenses.

The Nikon 85/1.4 is more than 1000 euro, so don't any problem there.


--
That was it. Done. The faulty Monk was turned out into the desert where it
could believe what it liked, including the idea that it had been hard done
by. It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses were so cheap to make.
-- Douglas Adams in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
 
Reply With Quote
 
deryck lant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
The message <lda8tehfn07km01lr9m0rmujd0@inews_id.stereo.hq.phi coh.net>
from http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Philip Homburg) contains these words:

> In article <du6jet$2um$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> David J. Littleboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"deryck lant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b...257118005d1d20
> >>
> >> Planar T F1.4 50mm ZF 500 EUR
> >>
> >> The Planar T F1.4 85mm ZF 1000 EUR resolves 250 lp/mm
> >>
> >> Available April 1st and they are very affordable.

> >
> >What a snore. There are no films or sensors in production that resolve
> >anywhere close to that. All that wasted resolution does is aggravate Moiré
> >in your dSLR.


> First some people claim that a D2X is a problem because diffraction kicks
> in a f/8 and then producing high quality lenses don't matter anymore
> because some people want to take picture of fabrics (and other man made
> objects).


I have no loss of resolution with my D2X at f8 with my Nikkor prime lenses.
For landscape photography I can use all the resolution I can get.

> >And twice the price of a lens that's just as good in real life isn't "very
> >affordable".


> Well, I think 500 euro for a new high quality lens is very affordable.
> I often pay more than 500 euro for second hand lenses.


> The Nikon 85/1.4 is more than 1000 euro, so don't any problem there.


There is mention of a 10 blade iris. They sound very desirable lenses.
The wideangles should be stunning.


Deryck
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Funk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
On 2 Mar 2006 03:53:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>
>David J. Littleboy wrote:
>> All that wasted resolution does is aggravate Moiré
>> in your dSLR.

>
>Zeiss wouldn't have done such a shot-in-the-foot, for the following 2
>reasons :
>- the press release says "resolve" 320lp/mm, it doesn't specify whether
>the MTF is 2 or 4% at this resolution ;oP.
>- I'm not really involved in that field (but I'd like and you are
>welcome to send me all the zillions dollars you want to support my
>personal knowledge and research in this area), but the only DSLR
>without AA-filter should be the not-very-common Kodak DCSPro14n?


The Sigma SDx cameras don't have AA filters.
>
>But saying that it is not a real problem doesn't imply it is one great
>step beyond anyway ;oPPP.


--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alfred Molon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> - the press release says "resolve" 320lp/mm, it doesn't specify whether
> the MTF is 2 or 4% at this resolution ;oP.


Exactly. If you look at this chart:
http://tinyurl.com/qttl7

already at 40 lp/mm the MTF is below 40%. At 320 lp/mm it will probably
be fractions of a %.
--

Alfred Molon
------------------------------
Olympus 50X0, 7070, 8080, E300, E330 and E500 forum at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
Olympus E500 resource - http://myolympus.org/E500/
 
Reply With Quote
 
W (winhag)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2006
I'd love to see a standout 50mm for Canon like that. I own the (Canon)
50mm 1.4 and the 100mm 2.8 macro.
The 50mm is quite a good lens but I can definately say from my
experience (film and 20D) that the 100mm
is better. (Better=less CA, more detail, and the images just look
better in a way that is not obviously measurable by the standard
tests-probably a combination of low distortion, low flare etc. etc.).
So I think there is room to improve on the Canon 50mm 1.4 and I would
love to see if Zeiss is the ticket.

deryck lant wrote:
> The message <lda8tehfn07km01lr9m0rmujd0@inews_id.stereo.hq.phi coh.net>
> from (E-Mail Removed) (Philip Homburg) contains these words:
>
> > In article <du6jet$2um$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > David J. Littleboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >"deryck lant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >> http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b...257118005d1d20
> > >>
> > >> Planar T F1.4 50mm ZF 500 EUR
> > >>
> > >> The Planar T F1.4 85mm ZF 1000 EUR resolves 250 lp/mm
> > >>
> > >> Available April 1st and they are very affordable.
> > >
> > >What a snore. There are no films or sensors in production that resolve
> > >anywhere close to that. All that wasted resolution does is aggravate Moiré
> > >in your dSLR.

>
> > First some people claim that a D2X is a problem because diffraction kicks
> > in a f/8 and then producing high quality lenses don't matter anymore
> > because some people want to take picture of fabrics (and other man made
> > objects).

>
> I have no loss of resolution with my D2X at f8 with my Nikkor prime lenses.
> For landscape photography I can use all the resolution I can get.
>
> > >And twice the price of a lens that's just as good in real life isn't "very
> > >affordable".

>
> > Well, I think 500 euro for a new high quality lens is very affordable.
> > I often pay more than 500 euro for second hand lenses.

>
> > The Nikon 85/1.4 is more than 1000 euro, so don't any problem there.

>
> There is mention of a 10 blade iris. They sound very desirable lenses.
> The wideangles should be stunning.
>
>
> Deryck


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Sports" Lens vs. Zeiss Lens (Canon PowerShot A620) Jules Vide Digital Photography 20 07-06-2006 09:36 AM
Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLRSigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com Digital Photography 6 04-01-2005 05:26 PM
Sigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLRSigma Announces SD-30--30 Megapixel,Universal Lens Mount, Digital SLR sigmaphotojapan@yahoo.com Digital Photography 5 04-01-2005 02:08 PM
Re: Sigma gives up on Foveon and SA mount lenses, turns to Kodak for Sensor, and moves to Canon Lens Mount Steven M. Scharf Digital Photography 5 05-18-2004 09:06 PM



Advertisments