Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Display photos on TV at 1080I resolution?

Display photos on TV at 1080I resolution?

David Arnstein

There was a thread on this ng involving JPEGs and TVs that reminded me
of something.

I have been wishing to display my digital photos on my living room HDTV
for a long time. About a year ago, I found that the best solution was
to buy a Roku Labs Pictbridge (spelling?) box. But my research
indicated that this box is unstable, and has not been actively developed
by Roku.

What do people think is the best solution now? Today Apple announced
an update to the Mac Mini, which can perhaps output 1920x1200. This
is *almost* 1080I and my TV might accept this signal. I'm going to
investigate. But this is an expensive solution, about twice the cost
of the Roku Labs box.

Any thoughts on the Mac Mini or other boxes?
--
David Arnstein | Have fun with your spams:
(E-Mail Removed) | http://www.bluesecurity.com

MarkČ

David Arnstein wrote:
> There was a thread on this ng involving JPEGs and TVs that reminded me
> of something.
>
> I have been wishing to display my digital photos on my living room
> HDTV for a long time. About a year ago, I found that the best
> solution was to buy a Roku Labs Pictbridge (spelling?) box. But my
> research indicated that this box is unstable, and has not been
> actively developed by Roku.
>
> What do people think is the best solution now? Today Apple announced
> an update to the Mac Mini, which can perhaps output 1920x1200. This
> is *almost* 1080I and my TV might accept this signal. I'm going to
> investigate. But this is an expensive solution, about twice the cost
> of the Roku Labs box.
>
> Any thoughts on the Mac Mini or other boxes?

This was just announced at PMA a day or two ago...
....Perhaps just what the doctor ordered?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...sonyhdpsl1.asp

-Mark

David Arnstein

In article <q26Nf.138$mw5.117@fed1read12>,
MarkČ <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>This was just announced at PMA a day or two ago...
>...Perhaps just what the doctor ordered?
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...sonyhdpsl1.asp

As far as I can tell, the Sony box outputs 720P, but not 1080I. I
would welcome any news that I am wrong about this.

In fact, I'd probably buy the box as soon as Sony started selling it!
--

David Arnstein wrote:
> In article <q26Nf.138$mw5.117@fed1read12>,
> MarkČ <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>> This was just announced at PMA a day or two ago...
>> ...Perhaps just what the doctor ordered?
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...sonyhdpsl1.asp

> As far as I can tell, the Sony box outputs 720P, but not 1080I. I
> would welcome any news that I am wrong about this.
>
> In fact, I'd probably buy the box as soon as Sony started selling it!

Hmmm. I just looked again and didn't see either one specified...
Where did you see 720P?

The reason I pointed to it was merely because it was described as "high
definition"...but since I don't have a high def TV, I'm not familiar with
the different resolutions yet...

David Arnstein

In article <8y6Nf.142$mw5.89@fed1read12>,
MarkČ <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>Hmmm. I just looked again and didn't see either one specified...
>Where did you see 720P?

Here is Sony's press release. Search for the string 720P:
http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/6530
--
David Arnstein | Have fun with your spams:
(E-Mail Removed) | http://www.bluesecurity.com

=?iso-8859-1?Q?mark=5Fdigital=A9?=

"David Arnstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:du2nov$6kg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There was a thread on this ng involving JPEGs and TVs that reminded me
> of something.
>
> I have been wishing to display my digital photos on my living room HDTV
> for a long time. About a year ago, I found that the best solution was
> to buy a Roku Labs Pictbridge (spelling?) box. But my research
> indicated that this box is unstable, and has not been actively developed
> by Roku.
>
> What do people think is the best solution now? Today Apple announced
> an update to the Mac Mini, which can perhaps output 1920x1200. This
> is *almost* 1080I and my TV might accept this signal. I'm going to
> investigate. But this is an expensive solution, about twice the cost
> of the Roku Labs box.
>
> Any thoughts on the Mac Mini or other boxes?
> --
> David Arnstein | Have fun with your spams:
> (E-Mail Removed) | http://www.bluesecurity.com

The best (eloquently simple) is to have a HDTV equipped with a memory slot.
e.g. Sony Grand Wega (LCD rear projection)
mark_

Bigguy

Are you sure your TV can display 1080i HD at genuine 1080i? few can...

Guy

"David Arnstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:du2nov$6kg$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There was a thread on this ng involving JPEGs and TVs that reminded me
> of something.
>
> I have been wishing to display my digital photos on my living room HDTV
> for a long time. About a year ago, I found that the best solution was
> to buy a Roku Labs Pictbridge (spelling?) box. But my research
> indicated that this box is unstable, and has not been actively developed
> by Roku.
>
> What do people think is the best solution now? Today Apple announced
> an update to the Mac Mini, which can perhaps output 1920x1200. This
> is *almost* 1080I and my TV might accept this signal. I'm going to
> investigate. But this is an expensive solution, about twice the cost
> of the Roku Labs box.
>
> Any thoughts on the Mac Mini or other boxes?
> --
> David Arnstein | Have fun with your spams:
> (E-Mail Removed) | http://www.bluesecurity.com

John McWilliams

mark_digital© wrote:

> "David Arnstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:du2nov$6kg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> There was a thread on this ng involving JPEGs and TVs that reminded me
>> of something.
>>
>> I have been wishing to display my digital photos on my living room HDTV
>> for a long time. About a year ago, I found that the best solution was
>> to buy a Roku Labs Pictbridge (spelling?) box. But my research
>> indicated that this box is unstable, and has not been actively developed
>> by Roku.
>>
>> What do people think is the best solution now? Today Apple announced
>> an update to the Mac Mini, which can perhaps output 1920x1200. This
>> is *almost* 1080I and my TV might accept this signal. I'm going to
>> investigate. But this is an expensive solution, about twice the cost
>> of the Roku Labs box.
>>

> The best (eloquently simple) is to have a HDTV equipped with a memory
> slot. e.g. Sony Grand Wega (LCD rear projection)

Perhaps for you. The 'best' would seem to be the Mac Mini which does a
few hundred things more than a card slot. But one has to factor in cost
and set up time, knowledge and so on.

--
John McWilliams