Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony DSC-F828 & RAW

Sony DSC-F828 & RAW

Ed Mullikin

Page 80 of my owner's manual says that I can shoot in RAW mode. (When I set
the camera to do that, it also stores a jpg image as well.) Raw Shooter
essentials 2005 tells me that I have no RAW file when I try to load it into
the computer directly from the Memory Stick. The photo stored supposedly as
RAW has an SRF designation and is a large file. Can someone please tell me
what gives? I'm new at this and would like experiment a little. Thanks.

Scott W

Ed Mullikin wrote:
> Page 80 of my owner's manual says that I can shoot in RAW mode. (When I set
> the camera to do that, it also stores a jpg image as well.) Raw Shooter
> essentials 2005 tells me that I have no RAW file when I try to load it into
> the computer directly from the Memory Stick. The photo stored supposedly as
> RAW has an SRF designation and is a large file. Can someone please tell me
> what gives? I'm new at this and would like experiment a little. Thanks.

The Sony RAW format is not widely supported, I don't know about raw
shooter. I do know that Photoshop supports it as well as Photoshop
elements 3 and above. There is also software that comes with the F828
to do the conversion but it is pretty much worthless.

Scott

Ed Mullikin

Thank you! The manual on this aspect leaves much to be desired.
"Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ed Mullikin wrote:
>> Page 80 of my owner's manual says that I can shoot in RAW mode. (When I
>> set
>> the camera to do that, it also stores a jpg image as well.) Raw Shooter
>> essentials 2005 tells me that I have no RAW file when I try to load it
>> into
>> the computer directly from the Memory Stick. The photo stored supposedly
>> as
>> RAW has an SRF designation and is a large file. Can someone please tell
>> me
>> what gives? I'm new at this and would like experiment a little. Thanks.

> The Sony RAW format is not widely supported, I don't know about raw
> shooter. I do know that Photoshop supports it as well as Photoshop
> elements 3 and above. There is also software that comes with the F828
> to do the conversion but it is pretty much worthless.
>
> Scott

Scott W

Ed Mullikin wrote:
> Thank you! The manual on this aspect leaves much to be desired.

For what it is worth it is worthwhile learning to use RAW with the
F828. I have found that the in camera processing really messes up some
photos. The downside is that Sony is really bad at dealing with raw,
there cameras are very slow when taking photos in raw mode and the raw
files are close to twice the size of other cameras.

Scott

bmoag

As you have observed RAW images take forever to record and are full size,
20mbs or so. I use this camera alot in raw and jpeg mode.
Alas the Sony RAW format is not yet supported by Raw shooter in the free or
premium form, I am not sure why.
The Sony included converter is not full featured enough to justify shooting
in raw.
The Adobe raw converter works excellently with this camera.
I encourage you to learn to use raw. However while dSLRs are useless without
raw the 828 is not set up to use raw natively in the way that dSLRs are.
One of the main advantages of shooting raw is to try to increase latitude.
The Nikon D70 does this by purposeful underexposure as it is easier to pull
detail out of slightly underexposed areas in post processing whereas
overexposed areas have no useful picture info.
The 828 is not set up in this way and simply dialing down the exposure does
not seem to work as well: hence bracketing is called for. Now you are trying
to take three or more exposures of the same subject with the 828 and each
takes about a minute to record onto compact flash.
Fortunately the 828 does a very good job of jpeg processing.

Ed Mullikin

I really like the camera quite well and have had it in India and Africa a
couple of times. I have just heard so much about RAW I thought that I'd
like to experiment with a few RAW photos of sunsets over the sand dunes in
India's Great Thar Desert. Thanks.

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eW4Nf.25996$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> As you have observed RAW images take forever to record and are full size,
> 20mbs or so. I use this camera alot in raw and jpeg mode.
> Alas the Sony RAW format is not yet supported by Raw shooter in the free
> or premium form, I am not sure why.
> The Sony included converter is not full featured enough to justify
> shooting in raw.
> The Adobe raw converter works excellently with this camera.
> I encourage you to learn to use raw. However while dSLRs are useless
> without raw the 828 is not set up to use raw natively in the way that
> dSLRs are.
> One of the main advantages of shooting raw is to try to increase latitude.
> The Nikon D70 does this by purposeful underexposure as it is easier to
> pull detail out of slightly underexposed areas in post processing whereas
> overexposed areas have no useful picture info.
> The 828 is not set up in this way and simply dialing down the exposure
> does not seem to work as well: hence bracketing is called for. Now you are
> trying to take three or more exposures of the same subject with the 828
> and each takes about a minute to record onto compact flash.
> Fortunately the 828 does a very good job of jpeg processing.

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

> For what it is worth it is worthwhile learning to use RAW with the
> F828. I have found that the in camera processing really messes up some
> photos. The downside is that Sony is really bad at dealing with raw,
> there cameras are very slow when taking photos in raw mode and the raw
> files are close to twice the size of other cameras.

The R1 has the same problem. And that's a shame, because otherwise it's
a very interesting camera.
--

Alfred Molon

Jay

RAW is like film, keep your RAW pix and later find a suitable software to
handle them.

Jay.