Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VPN Error 619

VPN Error 619

cmay

My VPN connection stopped working the other day.

I click to make the connection (PPTP) and it quickly gets to Verifying
Username and Password... then hangs for a while, then says error 619.

I tried creating a VPN connection from scratch on another laptop and it
worked just fine. I try the exact same steps on my laptop, and I get
the 619 again.

I have tried on several different internet connections, including ones
where the laptop works great, and it never works, so it isn't a problem
with the router on the client side blocking anything (I have turned on
all pass throughs anyway).

I disabled all software firewalls and anti virus programs, no luck
there either.

There is nothing in my event log to give me any more guidance.

Like I said other clients, including my other laptop, have no problem
connecting!

The VPN terminates on a Cisco 1700 series router, so there isn't a mis
configured Windows RAS server somewhere or anything like that.

Any help would be appreciated!

V. Evans

You said it stopped working, which implies it was working fine a few
days ago, so...

Has anything changed on the laptop? Any new apps, Windows SP 2,
anything at all?

Just to verify PPTP functionality is normal, try telnetting on port
1723 to the VPN server (cisco router): telnet x.x.x.x 1723. If your dos
window goes blank and the curser is just blinking, hit enter a couple
times to drop the connection - this means you are getting to the server
and PPTP is initiating a session.

What VPN client are you using - CIsco or Windows native?