Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Monitor calibration on Solaris system

Monitor calibration on Solaris system

Jeffery Small

What tools are people using to calibrate the color of their monitors on
UNIX systems - specifically Solaris? I have two Planar PX212M LCD monitors
that I would like to set up for image processing. Thanks.

Regards,
--
Jeff

C. Jeffery Small CJSA LLC 206-232-3338
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) 7000 E Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA 98040

Bill Hilton

> Jeffery Small writes ...
>
>What tools are people using to calibrate the color of their monitors
>on UNIX systems - specifically Solaris?

I used to do a lot of design work on Sun workstations running Solaris,
but not imaging ... AFAIK Unix doesn't support the ICC (International
Color Consortium) spec for what we formally call "Color Management",
probably because programs like Photoshop haven't been ported to Unix.
So it won't recognize monitor profiles, for one glaring example.

Perhaps someone will have info otherwise, but you may just have to do
it the old fashion way, that is, print and fiddle with the monitor's
color controls until you get a match ... this works OK in a closed
system but is problematic when you try to send files out and expect a
color match on someone else's printer or monitor.

>I have two Planar PX212M LCD monitors
>that I would like to set up for image processing.

What program are you running?

Bill

Father Kodak

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:19:53 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Jeffery Small) wrote:

>What tools are people using to calibrate the color of their monitors on
>UNIX systems - specifically Solaris? I have two Planar PX212M LCD monitors
>that I would like to set up for image processing. Thanks.
>
>Regards,

Jeff,

I know I'm coming in late on this, but I have to ask: why use a
Solaris system for photo imaging work (if that is indeed what you're
doing - my assumption.) ???

These days, Sun doesn't even pretend to be a workstation company.
They are a _server_ company these days, and for the last 5-6 years.

Unless you have some specialized app that runs only on Solaris, I
would suggest that you get a Windows or Mac based system. Of course,
you would want to use your Planar monitors such a system, so that
could be an issue. Life will be a lot simpler for you in the long
run.

IF you are wedded (for whatever reason) to UNIX, may I respectfully
suggest you look at a Linux-based system. GIMP on Linux is a credible
alternative to Photoshop, and the price is certainly right.

I'm not saying any of this to knock Sun. I am a former Sun employer
there, and I have very positive memories of my time there, which was
before the "bubble" burst. It was a great company and they treated
their employees quite well. They make/made great systems, but as a
workstation company, their "time in the sun" (cough, cough, cough) is
long past.

Father Kodak

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Father Kodak" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:19:53 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Jeffery Small) wrote:
>

> >What tools are people using to calibrate the color of their monitors on
> >UNIX systems - specifically Solaris? I have two Planar PX212M LCD

monitors
> >that I would like to set up for image processing. Thanks.
> >
> >Regards,

> Jeff,
>
> I know I'm coming in late on this, but I have to ask: why use a
> Solaris system for photo imaging work (if that is indeed what you're
> doing - my assumption.) ???
>
> These days, Sun doesn't even pretend to be a workstation company.
> They are a _server_ company these days, and for the last 5-6 years.
>
> Unless you have some specialized app that runs only on Solaris, I
> would suggest that you get a Windows or Mac based system. Of course,
> you would want to use your Planar monitors such a system, so that
> could be an issue. Life will be a lot simpler for you in the long
> run.
>
> IF you are wedded (for whatever reason) to UNIX, may I respectfully
> suggest you look at a Linux-based system. GIMP on Linux is a credible
> alternative to Photoshop, and the price is certainly right.
>
> I'm not saying any of this to knock Sun. I am a former Sun employer
> there, and I have very positive memories of my time there, which was
> before the "bubble" burst. It was a great company and they treated
> their employees quite well. They make/made great systems, but as a
> workstation company, their "time in the sun" (cough, cough, cough) is
> long past.
>
> Father Kodak

I agree absolutely-for windows especially you can find almost everything,
from japanese fonds to specialized drawing tools, and many thousands of
games if you want to let your hair down someday.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
542nd mechanized infantry batallion