Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Stop megapixel and "0 noise"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop megapixel and "0 noise"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiresia2@hotmail.it

Dear Panasonic,Canon,Sony;olympus,etc,
i see the fz7's test.Noise,noise,noise...and the technical
specifications of Canon S3 and Sony H2 are the same;ccd=1/2,5 ,6
megapixel..............STOP!!!!!!!!!!!
We want a new sensor with 4 or 5 megapixel but with "Noise ZERO"(as a
reflex)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(What do you think about this?)

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

> Dear Panasonic,Canon,Sony;olympus,etc,
> i see the fz7's test.Noise,noise,noise...and the technical
> specifications of Canon S3 and Sony H2 are the same;ccd=1/2,5 ,6
> megapixel..............STOP!!!!!!!!!!!
> We want a new sensor with 4 or 5 megapixel but with "Noise ZERO"(as a
> reflex)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> (What do you think about this?)

I think it's not very likely to happen on this planet. P&S cameras
are targeted at the "consumer" market. Consumers like large numbers,
and will buy the gadgets with the largest numbers. They don't
particularly care what these numbers signify, as long as they are not
the price. Low price is the one thing that can sell a model better
than large numbers. Two numbers are particularly easy to raise while
keeping a low price: pixel count and zoom factor (digital zoom is
really easy). For this reason, we will continue seeing more cheap
cameras with ever higher pixel counts.

--
Måns Rullgård
(E-Mail Removed)

Steve Mackie

> Dear Panasonic,Canon,Sony;olympus,etc,
> i see the fz7's test.Noise,noise,noise...and the technical
> specifications of Canon S3 and Sony H2 are the same;ccd=1/2,5 ,6
> megapixel..............STOP!!!!!!!!!!!
> We want a new sensor with 4 or 5 megapixel but with "Noise ZERO"(as a
> reflex)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> (What do you think about this?)

Camera companies are like CPU companies. Most consumers purchase their
products based on one specification, GHz. "The more GHz the better," they
think.

Not only that, but it's also cost per GHz or megapixel. They'll pass on the
$400 Canon 5 megapixel because they can get a BenQ or Centrios 8 megapixel
for $200. With processors, they'll go for the cheaper Celeron @ 3GHz and an
ECS SiS chipset motherboard and no-name RAM even though a P4 @ 2GHz on a
Tyan Intel chipset motherboard with branded memory will almost double the
performance.

Remember, these companies have one goal in mind - make the bucks. They don't
give two shits what you, me or anyone else thinks.

Steve

Steve Mackie

> I think it's not very likely to happen on this planet. P&S cameras
> are targeted at the "consumer" market. Consumers like large numbers,
> and will buy the gadgets with the largest numbers. They don't
> particularly care what these numbers signify, as long as they are not
> the price. Low price is the one thing that can sell a model better
> than large numbers. Two numbers are particularly easy to raise while
> keeping a low price: pixel count and zoom factor (digital zoom is
> really easy). For this reason, we will continue seeing more cheap
> cameras with ever higher pixel counts.

LOL, it took me 2 minutes longer to type my response.

tiresia2@hotmail.it

i'm disagree.
Marketing can think a label theory.
"4 mega with zero noise"
or
"Camera with especially supercrisp sensor"
People aren't brass monkey..

ciao

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> i'm disagree.
> Marketing can think a label theory.
> "4 mega with zero noise"

That won't work. If "zero noise" means anything at all to a random
consumer, it will be "water cooling". Nobody will want to be lugging
around a water cooling system for a camera.

> or
> "Camera with especially supercrisp sensor"

They already get that by using a too weak antialiasing filter, giving
pictures that look sharp but in reality are only full of false detail.

> People aren't brass monkey..

No, nowadays it's some much cheaper material, possibly plastic.

--
Måns Rullgård
(E-Mail Removed)

tiresia2@hotmail.it

and "N.A.R. technology" (Noise As Reflex)...it appeals to you?
or yuo feel noise...?

David J Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Dear Panasonic,Canon,Sony;olympus,etc,
> i see the fz7's test.Noise,noise,noise...and the technical
> specifications of Canon S3 and Sony H2 are the same;ccd=1/2,5 ,6
> megapixel..............STOP!!!!!!!!!!!
> We want a new sensor with 4 or 5 megapixel but with "Noise ZERO"(as a
> reflex)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> (What do you think about this?)

Given the choice of a large camera with little noise but a bag of heavy,
expensive lenses to drag around, or a lighter, more compact camera with a
single 36 - 432mm image stabilised zoom lens, with a higher noise level, I
chose the latter (a 5MP Panasonic FZ5). Having seen what the single lens,
large sensor, low-noise camera might look like (the Sony R1), I don't want
one, thanks.

The physics of small sensor cameras mean that you will not get zero noise,
so you have to decide for yourself what level of noise is acceptable. You
can still buy the 4 - 5MP cameras - so get them now while they last! If
you want lower noise, go for a DSLR.

David

Markeau

The Fuji F10/F11 with good ISO 1600 (and presumably, the upcoming F30
with ISO 3200) results are certainly on the right track for low noise.

tiresia2@hotmail.it

Yes Markeau.....i see here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...Z7_ISO1600.JPG

and here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Fuji...10_ISO1600.JPG

and i understand many many....Fuji are REALLY usable at 1600 iso,not
Pana..

And i think:
There aren't Fuji 5600 tests on DPreview,Imaging resources, and
Dcresources...
Uhmm....that's a mistery...Major(Canon,Pana,Sony)are sared?Bah...

But on digital camera info there is a test and score for noise:

Panasonic fz5 - 2,39/ 3,52
Canon S2 - 3,69/ 3,72
Fuji s5200 -3,55/ 6,32

Uhm..an idea...fuji sensor (but with stabilizer) are a potential market
winner?
what about this?