Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question about portable lighting

Question about portable lighting

spectator

Would like to take a Canon G5 to the park and shoot full figure
portraits of passersby on the weekend, working in a shady spot and
using a seamless background. Would two portable 12V halogen spotlights
($30 at Costco or Sams Club) provide suitable illumination/modeling in
conjuction with the on-camera flash? Will it be enough to white balance
for this lighting or would a filter serve to correct for color
accuracy? AC power supply would not be available.

And if none of this works, how would you go about it?

Walt

Gene Palmiter

I would use a couple of battery powered slaves flashes. You will need a
couple of tripods for them and adapters that fit between the tripod and the
slave. The on-camera flash will set them off. It all folds up into a small
kit. They make tiny tripods for this with Velcro so you can fasten them to
poles or whatever...but for out side that might not be the best solution.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

"spectator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Would like to take a Canon G5 to the park and shoot full figure
> portraits of passersby on the weekend, working in a shady spot and
> using a seamless background. Would two portable 12V halogen spotlights
> ($30 at Costco or Sams Club) provide suitable illumination/modeling in
> conjuction with the on-camera flash? Will it be enough to white balance
> for this lighting or would a filter serve to correct for color
> accuracy? AC power supply would not be available.
>
> And if none of this works, how would you go about it?
>
> Walt

Dave

Walt,

Maybe one of Canon's external flash units slaved off your camera along with
a couple of large reflectors?

Just a thought.
Dave

"spectator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Would like to take a Canon G5 to the park and shoot full figure
> portraits of passersby on the weekend, working in a shady spot and
> using a seamless background. Would two portable 12V halogen spotlights
> ($30 at Costco or Sams Club) provide suitable illumination/modeling in
> conjuction with the on-camera flash? Will it be enough to white balance
> for this lighting or would a filter serve to correct for color
> accuracy? AC power supply would not be available.
>
> And if none of this works, how would you go about it?
>
> Walt

Bob Williams

Gene Palmiter wrote:
> I would use a couple of battery powered slaves flashes. You will need a
> couple of tripods for them and adapters that fit between the tripod and the
> slave. The on-camera flash will set them off. It all folds up into a small
> kit. They make tiny tripods for this with Velcro so you can fasten them to
> poles or whatever...but for out side that might not be the best solution.

In addition to Gene's excellent suggestions, you may want to consider
some more powerful AC slave flash units. Adorama has some very nice,
inexpensive ones. To get AC to your site you can connect a 12 Volt
Automobile Battery to an inexpensive 100 watt INVERTER. An inverter will
convert 12VDC to 110 VAC suitable for the flash units. Since the flash
is used only intermittently, the Battery/Inverter power supply should
last a loooong time.

MIXING sunlite and flash is OK, but adding Halogen lights to the mix may
present problems with obtaining a correct White Balance.
Bob Williams
Bob Williams

arehrlich

You might want to try a large silver reflector and use the available
light to its best advantage. Use your on-camera flash for front fill.
Great for portraits.

Alan

spectator

Thanks, Guys,

I think the answer is to utilize the G5's on-camera flash with a couple
of slaves and a reflector for best results. I have a couple of old,
inexpensive flashes that still work well, plus two clip-on sensors that
turn them into slaves. Never really tried these slaves with the Canon
because the pre-flash rendered them useless. Was wondering...if the
camera is set to manual mode and the built-in flash is set for
fill-flash, will that defeat the pre-flash and synch up the slaves? Or
is there another setting that will defeat the pre-flash. Since I'll be
working off a tripod and basically shooting on a "set", auto focus will
be unnecessary.

Appreciate all your thoughful contributions.
Walt