Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need Card Reader for High Speed xD Cards

Need Card Reader for High Speed xD Cards

Mike

Hi, I own an Olympus C-7000 w/ one GB high speed Olympus xD card.
Will conventional xD card readers be able to read the card or do I a high
speed xD card reader?

Mike

HerHusband

Mike,

> Hi, I own an Olympus C-7000 w/ one GB high speed Olympus xD card.
> Will conventional xD card readers be able to read the card or do I a high
> speed xD card reader?

I have a Fuji F10 with a 1 gig XD card.

I bought a card reader "claiming" to be compatible with XD cards, but it
refuses to work with my 1 gig card.

I decided to buy a second smaller 256 Meg XD card for frequent use in hopes
that it would work with my card reader, but it didn't work either.

I later discovered that both cards are "type M", and that's apparently the
issue that's causing problems.

The only "internal" reader I have found is the PRO-28U made by Atech. It
"claims" to be compatible with all types and sizes of XD cards.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen them sold anywhere yet. Still waiting.

There's a small reader made by Olympus (MAUSB-300) that you plug your card
in, then plug the reader into a USB port. It claims to support XD cards to
1 Gig, but doesn't quite specify support for "Type M" cards. And, it's
another piece of hardware to keep laying around. It seems just as easy to
connect the camera directly to the computer.

Anthony

ASAAR

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:53:27 -0600, HerHusband wrote:

>> Hi, I own an Olympus C-7000 w/ one GB high speed Olympus xD card.
>> Will conventional xD card readers be able to read the card or do I a high
>> speed xD card reader?

> I have a Fuji F10 with a 1 gig XD card.
>
> I bought a card reader "claiming" to be compatible with XD cards, but it
> refuses to work with my 1 gig card.
>
> I decided to buy a second smaller 256 Meg XD card for frequent use in hopes
> that it would work with my card reader, but it didn't work either.
>
> I later discovered that both cards are "type M", and that's apparently the
> issue that's causing problems.

I have an Olympus 1GB (type M) and have had no problems reading or
writing to the card even though several devices in the chain are
about 8 years old. These are an old SCSI PCMCIA card reader and an
old PCMCIA to CF adapter. The only new device was the Fuji xD to CF
adapter that I bought about 15 months ago, several months before
the 1GB xD cards became available. My guess is that this last
adapter resolved any incompatibilities that M type cards might
present. These Fuji adapters don't seem to be as readily available
as they were a year ago, but Olympus xD to CF adapters aren't as
hard to find, and presumably they work as well as those from Fuji.

Markeau

This Oly reader is really nice:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...83120?n=172282

Markeau

"Markeau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This Oly reader is really nice:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...83120?n=172282

And it does work with Type M but I have not tried Type H yet.

Mike

Hi Anthony, I'm going to try the high speed xD card reader I bought,
Yhe camera only supports USB1.1 and I don't want to use the battery to
transfer files.

Miek

"HerHusband" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Mike,
>
>> Hi, I own an Olympus C-7000 w/ one GB high speed Olympus xD card.
>> Will conventional xD card readers be able to read the card or do I a high
>> speed xD card reader?

> I have a Fuji F10 with a 1 gig XD card.
>
> I bought a card reader "claiming" to be compatible with XD cards, but it
> refuses to work with my 1 gig card.
>
> I decided to buy a second smaller 256 Meg XD card for frequent use in
> hopes
> that it would work with my card reader, but it didn't work either.
>
> I later discovered that both cards are "type M", and that's apparently the
> issue that's causing problems.
>
> The only "internal" reader I have found is the PRO-28U made by Atech. It
> "claims" to be compatible with all types and sizes of XD cards.
> Unfortunately, I haven't seen them sold anywhere yet. Still waiting.
>
> There's a small reader made by Olympus (MAUSB-300) that you plug your card
> in, then plug the reader into a USB port. It claims to support XD cards to
> 1 Gig, but doesn't quite specify support for "Type M" cards. And, it's
> another piece of hardware to keep laying around. It seems just as easy to
> connect the camera directly to the computer.
>
> Anthony

Mike

I've read the high speed xD cards may not be recognized by some readers.

Mike

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:53:27 -0600, HerHusband wrote:
>
>>> Hi, I own an Olympus C-7000 w/ one GB high speed Olympus xD card.
>>> Will conventional xD card readers be able to read the card or do I a
>>> high
>>> speed xD card reader?

>> I have a Fuji F10 with a 1 gig XD card.
>>
>> I bought a card reader "claiming" to be compatible with XD cards, but it
>> refuses to work with my 1 gig card.
>>
>> I decided to buy a second smaller 256 Meg XD card for frequent use in
>> hopes
>> that it would work with my card reader, but it didn't work either.
>>
>> I later discovered that both cards are "type M", and that's apparently
>> the
>> issue that's causing problems.

> I have an Olympus 1GB (type M) and have had no problems reading or
> writing to the card even though several devices in the chain are
> about 8 years old. These are an old SCSI PCMCIA card reader and an
> old PCMCIA to CF adapter. The only new device was the Fuji xD to CF
> adapter that I bought about 15 months ago, several months before
> the 1GB xD cards became available. My guess is that this last
> adapter resolved any incompatibilities that M type cards might
> present. These Fuji adapters don't seem to be as readily available
> as they were a year ago, but Olympus xD to CF adapters aren't as
> hard to find, and presumably they work as well as those from Fuji.

Mike

Thanks

"Markeau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This Oly reader is really nice:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...83120?n=172282

Mike

I really like the look of that reader.
Will call Olympus tomorrow re: reading high speed cards.

Mike

"Markeau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Markeau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This Oly reader is really nice:
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...83120?n=172282

> And it does work with Type M but I have not tried Type H yet.

Mike

On line vendor tells me "only certain readers" will read 1GB xD cards,
especially high speed cards. What do people think of his statement?

Mike