Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Auto "Image Sharpening" and "Image Adjustment" with Nikon 5700

Auto "Image Sharpening" and "Image Adjustment" with Nikon 5700

Anthony

My Nikon 5700 by default turns on "Image Sharpening" and "Image
Adjustment" (=Contrast) when in manual mode. Can I have the same effect
with Adobe Photoshop, if I turn these settings off? I suspect that in
some cases the above settings had a no so good effect on my pictures,
which I had no way to reverse.

thanks

Randy Berbaum

Anthony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: My Nikon 5700 by default turns on "Image Sharpening" and "Image
: Adjustment" (=Contrast) when in manual mode. Can I have the same effect
: with Adobe Photoshop, if I turn these settings off? I suspect that in
: some cases the above settings had a no so good effect on my pictures,
: which I had no way to reverse.

PS does have a menu item for "auto sharpen" and "auto contrast" but you
will have to select these menu items. They won't be applied automatically
every time you open an image. You really wouldn't want that level of
"auto" as you may open (and resave) an image several times and repeted use
of these functions could end up causing extreme damage to the image.

You are correct that auto sharpen and auto contrast can cause problems but
if you are intending that these images be "snapshots" and you wish to
print the images direct from the camera, having these functions
automatically happen in the camera would reduce the need to open all the
images in an editor before printing.

IMHO in the vast majority of cases, in camera sharpen and contrast
adjustment should be used sparingly or even not at all. Of course if you
find these features to your taste, feel free to use them.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Anthony

Thanks, Randy. After all, if I want a snapshot I can always use userset
"A" which sets everything automatically without allowing much manual
control.

Randy Berbaum wrote:
> Anthony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : My Nikon 5700 by default turns on "Image Sharpening" and "Image
> : Adjustment" (=Contrast) when in manual mode. Can I have the same effect
> : with Adobe Photoshop, if I turn these settings off? I suspect that in
> : some cases the above settings had a no so good effect on my pictures,
> : which I had no way to reverse.
>
> PS does have a menu item for "auto sharpen" and "auto contrast" but you
> will have to select these menu items. They won't be applied automatically
> every time you open an image. You really wouldn't want that level of
> "auto" as you may open (and resave) an image several times and repeted use
> of these functions could end up causing extreme damage to the image.
>
> You are correct that auto sharpen and auto contrast can cause problems but
> if you are intending that these images be "snapshots" and you wish to
> print the images direct from the camera, having these functions
> automatically happen in the camera would reduce the need to open all the
> images in an editor before printing.
>
> IMHO in the vast majority of cases, in camera sharpen and contrast
> adjustment should be used sparingly or even not at all. Of course if you
> find these features to your taste, feel free to use them.
>
> Randy
>
> ==========
> Randy Berbaum
> Champaign, IL

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On 23 Feb 2006 23:11:02 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Anthony"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My Nikon 5700 by default turns on "Image Sharpening" and "Image
>Adjustment" (=Contrast) when in manual mode. Can I have the same effect
>with Adobe Photoshop, if I turn these settings off? I suspect that in
>some cases the above settings had a no so good effect on my pictures,
>which I had no way to reverse.

Yes, in fact if you are after the best image data outside of shooting raw,
it's best to turn sharpening and image adjustment off and many with the
5700 also turned saturation down at least to -1 if not -2. as well. I think
I stuck with -1 myself. You can then make adjustments in most any image
editor after the fact.