Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > anyone here like to shoot 20D

anyone here like to shoot 20D

photochimperdude

I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The auto
focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to tweak this? I
use center spot for now.

http://www.photochimper.com/forum/
a place for chimpers

Dave

Dear photochimperdude,

I just got a 20D and I find it does pretty good with AF. Have you tried
using the Al Servo AF mode? Also, sometimes AF camera lenses can have
difficulty focusing in low light (Just a thought). Have you tried another AF
lens to see if there is an improvement?

I read somewhere (this board or some website) that a user had similar
problems and I think it was suggested that the person send the camera in for
a service check. Hopefully yours is still under warranty.

Dave

"photochimperdude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The auto
> focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to tweak this? I
> use center spot for now.
>
> http://www.photochimper.com/forum/
> a place for chimpers

Bill Hilton

> photochimperdude writes ...
>
>I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The
>auto focus is way to slow for sports ...

I agree that it's a bit slow for sports and some wildlife photography,
that's one of the reasons I use a 1D Mark II instead ...

> ... anyone have any way to tweak this?

Best way to speed up AF is to get a faster lens ... an f/2.8 will focus
a lot faster than an f/5.6 for example ... what lens are you using now?

Bill

Mark²

photochimperdude wrote:
> I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The auto
> focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to tweak this? I
> use center spot for now.
>
> http://www.photochimper.com/forum/
> a place for chimpers

The fact that you don't mention the lens tell me that your len is likely a
huge contributor to the problem.
While it's true that the 20D isn't the FASTEST...it should be plenty
fast-focussing for sports if you've got a large aperture lens (2.. With a
bright lens, the sensors in your 20D AF system will work FAR better and
faster.

Skip M

"photochimperdude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The auto
> focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to tweak this? I
> use center spot for now.
>
> http://www.photochimper.com/forum/
> a place for chimpers

My 20D managed to focus on 150mph sports/racing cars and 180mph racing
boats, there's not much more I could ask of a camera that wasn't a 1D
mkIIn...
You bought one of the best cameras in its price range. If you want more, it
reminds me of what someone said about race cars, "Speed costs money, how
much do you want to spend..."

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Daniel Rocha

photochimperdude wrote:
> I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The auto
> focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to tweak this? I
> use center spot for now.

What lens do you use to shoot sports ?

--
<> Daniel Rocha | Photographie <>
http://www.monochromatique.com

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes

photochimperdude wrote:

> I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The auto
> focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to tweak this? I
> use center spot for now.

I'm using the 20D with a 70-200 2.8 L IS USM for shooting sports (bicycle
races etc). No problem with focus. I use AL Servo. Sometime I use only the
center focus point.
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/Foto/

Phil

Sounds like one of two things.

1) Operator problem.

2) Incorrect lens.

My personal opinion is that it is both.

"photochimperdude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The auto
> focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to tweak this? I
> use center spot for now.
>
> http://www.photochimper.com/forum/
> a place for chimpers

Mardon

"photochimperdude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The
> auto focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to
> tweak this? I use center spot for now.

I've shot action shots with my 20D using an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
lens. Even when I add a 1.4x tele-converter to this lens, the camera
still focuses quickly enough for me. I also shoot with an 16-35mm
f/2.8L USM and a EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. I've never noticed any problem
with focus speed when using any of these lenses. If you want some
samples of action shots with the 20D, check out my website at
http://www.JustPhotos.ca, especially the Sports, Airplanes, People
and Animals galleries.

photochimperdude

Sorry for not stating its a 70-200 2.8 l lens and I don't feel its
operator error. I did fix the problem with the center spot like some of
you have posted.

http://www.photochimper.com