Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Alternative to Panasonic DMC-FZ30K (USA)

Alternative to Panasonic DMC-FZ30K (USA)

QX

I have tentatively decided on the Panasonic 30K rather than the Fuji
S9000. Before I go shopping, I'd like to know if there are any other
similar cameras out there in the approximate same price range. I'd
hate to buy, and a week later see something else with better
features/performance. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post
comparing the 30K to the S9000.

You might take a look at the Kodak 850 (I think that's the one)
Old Bob

Bill Funk

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:26:39 -0800, QX <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have tentatively decided on the Panasonic 30K rather than the Fuji
>S9000. Before I go shopping, I'd like to know if there are any other
>similar cameras out there in the approximate same price range. I'd
>hate to buy, and a week later see something else with better
>features/performance. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post
>comparing the 30K to the S9000.

Go to Dpreview, and, on the left side, hover over "Buying Guide", and
start looking.
We honestly can't tell you what you want to know, because we don't
know what you really want to know. (What do you want, besides
"something like the 30K"? What type of photography do you do? What
features are important to you?)
And, if you seriously don't want to buy for fear that something else
will come out that you'll like more, soon, you'll never buy anything.
So, pick a camera that suits your needs (the 30K?), and start taking
photos.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Tom2000

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:03:43 -0700, Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:26:39 -0800, QX <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have tentatively decided on the Panasonic 30K rather than the Fuji
>>S9000. Before I go shopping, I'd like to know if there are any other
>>similar cameras out there in the approximate same price range. I'd
>>hate to buy, and a week later see something else with better
>>features/performance. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post
>>comparing the 30K to the S9000.

>And, if you seriously don't want to buy for fear that something else
>will come out that you'll like more, soon, you'll never buy anything.
>So, pick a camera that suits your needs (the 30K?), and start taking
>photos.

Oh, man, that advice should be chiseled in stone, then gold plated for
good measure. Those words apply to cameras, computers, automobiles,
TV and stereo stuff, sporting goods, camping equipment, and just about
anything else that you can mention!

Regarding your choice between an FZ30 and ...what else...

I recently purchased the FZ30, so I've been through exactly the same
decision process that you're experiencing. If you want a bridge
camera, the FZ30 is probably your best choice. I think the real
decision should be between an FZ30 or any of the good entry-level
dSLRs such as the D50.

Your tradeoffs are simpler. Both approaches will cost you about the
same amount of money up front. With the FZ30, you get a lot of
features right out of the box. If you go the dSLR route, you'll gain
better performance, but fewer features. If you want to match the
FZ30's features later, you'll pay (..and pay and pay) for them
downstream.

So, how do you want to approch photography? Do you want to gain your
capability in one lump sum, with only minor accessories purchased
downstream, or can you afford to defer the expenses that will come up
on an ongoing basis if you buy a dSLR?

It all comes down to your needs and expectations. And, of course,
your wallet.

I've already gone the SLR route, back in the film days. One body and
lens eventually wound up as two bodies, drives, six lenses, three
strobes, and a whole slew of support equipment. When I'd go out for a
shoot, I didn't know whether I was a photographer or a pack mule.

So I went the FZ30 route. And still managed to stuff my camera bag to
the brim. Sigh... But at least I won't be tempted to buy that $1500
miracle lens six months down the road.

Tom

Isaiah Beard

QX wrote:
> I have tentatively decided on the Panasonic 30K rather than the Fuji
> S9000. Before I go shopping, I'd like to know if there are any other
> similar cameras out there in the approximate same price range. I'd
> hate to buy, and a week later see something else with better
> features/performance. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post
> comparing the 30K to the S9000.

If I were you, I would find someone with a 30K, and take a few photos
with it to see if it's what you like. If you feel it will suit your
needs, then I would go ahead and buy it, and be happy with the purchase
knowing you did everything you possibly could to ensure that you made
the right decision.

If you don't, and isntead continually worry about what's coming down the
pike that you might like better, then you'll probably never end up
buying anything. The digital camera market is nothing like the old film
market, where camera designs stayed pretty much the same for decades
(i.e. the Nikon F5). In the digital camera field, new models are ALWAYS
coming out. Your best defense is to find a camera that you will be
happy with for at least the next couple of years.

That said, the DMC-FZ30 is what I ended up getting, and I'm happy with
it, and probably will be for a while yet. It's a recently-released
camera, less than a year in production, so I figure it will be around
for a while (though chances are, something better will show up down the
road, maybe late. this year or early next). In addition, Panasonic
definitely made a good choice partnering with Leica for optics, and
despite having the stigma of being a newcomer to photography, they seem
to be making up for that by having good product line stability and
supporting their products well (unlike Sony, who makes many, many
things, locks them into proprietary standards and formats, and then
supports them all badly).

Is there better out there than the FZ-30 for my needs? Maybe, but I
haven't found it yet, and the fact that the FZ30 has suited my needs
just fine up to now has not motivated me to actively look for better.
This is a stark contract to my previous purchase, a Nikon model, in
which I professed to "like" the camera well, but was constantly looking
for better when I found the Lumix line.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.