Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Genuine Fractals and Photoshop for Cropping

Genuine Fractals and Photoshop for Cropping

ffjared@aol.com

I would like to crop and enlarge a section of a digital image to 11x14.
The original file is a canon raw file Made with a 10D. The file is
2048x3072 aprox.(6.75x10.75).

I would like to know how to use Photshop CS2 and Genuine Fractals 4.1
to do this.
I am confused with the order of doing things with GF 4.1.

How do I get a specific size crop with GF?
Do I need to upscale the whole image first with GF and then crop with
PS or GF??

thanks in advance.

Bill Hilton

>(E-Mail Removed) asks
>
> I would like to crop and enlarge a section of a digital image to 11x14

At what ppi?

>The original file is a canon raw file Made with a 10D. The file is
>2048x3072 aprox.(6.75x10.75).
>I would like to know how to use Photshop CS2 and Genuine Fractals
>4.1 to do this

What I'd do is use either the Crop tool or the Rectangular Marquee tool
with Style : Fixed Aspect Ratio set to 11x14 to crop to the correct
aspect ratio and then save this with a new name. Then you can resize
it in Photoshop with Image - Image Size with resample on, plugging in
the ppi and using bicubic smoother.

I haven't used GF 4.1 but on the earlier version you would do a File -
Save As and pick .stn as the file type and that would open up the GF
dialog box and you'd save it as a .stn file, then when you opened the
..stn file you would have the option of defining the exact size you
wanted it upsampled to. I don't know how different GF 4.1 is, I hear
they may have changed it a lot.

At any rate I'd try it both ways and if GF 4.1 is like the earlier GF I
have I'd bet the Photoshop resampling will actually look better ... but
try it both ways if you have GF and compare.

>How do I get a specific size crop with GF?

I don't think you can crop with it, just resize?

>Do I need to upscale the whole image first with GF and then
>crop with PS or GF??

You can do it either way, ie like I suggested (crop to the correct
aspect ratio first and then resample) or you can upsample first at 3:2
and then crop to 11:14 but to me it makes more sense to get the aspect
ratio correct first ...

Bill

timepixdc

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,

> I would like to know how to use Photshop CS2 and Genuine Fractals 4.1
> to do this.

1) Crop the image.
2) Save as an STN file with GF.
3) Open said file, increasing the size by ten percent.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you have the right size file.

Scott

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:04:14 -0600, timepixdc <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I would like to know how to use Photshop CS2 and Genuine Fractals 4.1
>> to do this.

>1) Crop the image.
>2) Save as an STN file with GF.
>3) Open said file, increasing the size by ten percent.
>4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you have the right size file.

You no longer have to save the file first as an .stn before GF
operates on it. You just open GF on the file your are working on and
scale it right from there.

Scott

jared

Sorry I'm still a little confused. If I use the crop tool in PS preset
to 11x14, and crop a section of the image to that size, then when, why,
and how would I use GF. Since the image would already be the desired
size.

If I can crop straight from GF plugin, how do I get a 11x14 image from
a smaller than 11x14 image?

timepixdc

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Scott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >1) Crop the image.
> >2) Save as an STN file with GF.
> >3) Open said file, increasing the size by ten percent.
> >4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you have the right size file.

> You no longer have to save the file first as an .stn before GF
> operates on it. You just open GF on the file your are working on and
> scale it right from there.

GF works better if you scale a file up by 10-20 percent at a time rather
than going right to a 500 percent boost.

Bill Hilton

> jared writes ...
>

>Sorry I'm still a little confused. If I use the crop tool in PS preset
>to 11x14, and crop a section of the image to that size, then when, why,
>and how would I use GF. Since the image would already be the desired
>size.

It's the desired aspect ratio after the crop but maybe not the "desired
size". He's starting with a 3072 x 2048 pixel image so 3:2 aspect
ratio ... crop it to 11x14 and the max you have is about 2607 x 2048
pixels ... you CAN print this 11x14" but it's only 186 pixels/inch,
which is probably not enough resolution for a good print. The printer
driver will upsample this for you or you can upsample it yourself and
doing that upsampling is where GF comes in.

Exactly HOW you use GF depends on the version. On the older version I
have you just save this 2607x2048 file as a .stn and when you open the
..stn you get the option to resize. For newer versions see Scott's
post.

Bill