Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 30D -- Disappointing?

30D -- Disappointing?

John A. Stovall

I don't know why people are disappointed. This is about what was to
be expected, a product improvement of the 20D just like the 1DIIN last
fall. Why would they need to change much? If you want more
megapixels, you can get the 5D.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

John A. Stovall

On 21 Feb 2006 06:12:08 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bill Hilton wrote:
>> I guess I was expecting more of an upgrade to the 20D, at least to 10
>> Mpixels ... specially given what Nikon's shipping now ...
>>
>> Bill
>> (Canon user)

>After all the hoopla and rumours surrounding the 30D, this one turned
>out to be a HUGE disappointment. Pretty un-Canon like behaviour!!

I didn't see any hoopla on Canon's part. I did see a lot of
fantasizing by the cheap gear heads where who don't want to pay for
the features they want.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Bill Hilton

> Roger N. Clark writes ...
>
>I believe this is an indication that the sensors are reaching
>their peak. To cram more megapixels into a 1.6 crop factor
>sensor means the pixel size would be smaller, affecting
>signal-to-noise ratios.

The theory is valid ... but in practice the Nikon D2x has crammed 12+
Mpixels into a 1.5x sensor and the results are higher resolution with
acceptable noise levels, based on actually viewing images taken with
this body. The low to moderate ISO images from this camera are
outstanding (several people had this body with the 500 or 600 f/4's and
200-400 f/4 VR in Africa and it's an impressive combination). The high
ISO images didn't look that great but neither did the ISO 3200 shots I
took at the same time when we were shooting a lion in early AM
darkness.

> To go more megapixels, with equally low noise images, they
> would have to go to a 1.3 crop factor.

I'm sure there's an optimal point between noise and resolution. From
what I've seen though Nikon is doing a better job at approaching this
point right now than is Canon. If Nikon had VR in the 500 f/4 I'd be
tempted to switch brands (when I win Lotto because of the D2x and
200-400 f/4 VR (Canon has a gaping hole in the zoom-to-400mm category
too, this is a far better lens than the 100-400 IS).

Anyway I was expecting at least 10 Mpixels from the 30D ... looks like
a relatively cosmetic up-grade to me as is.

Bill

l e o

John A. Stovall wrote:
> I don't know why people are disappointed. This is about what was to
> be expected, a product improvement of the 20D just like the 1DIIN last
> fall. Why would they need to change much? If you want more
> megapixels, you can get the 5D.
>

> ************************************************** ****
>
> "I have been a witness, and these pictures are
> my testimony. The events I have recorded should
> not be forgotten and must not be repeated."
>
> -James Nachtwey-
> http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

because people are expecting a direct competition with D200.

David J. Littleboy

"l e o" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As for Canon, I like that they make a wise decision not to cram more
> megapixels. As Rob Galbraith mentioned, he prefers to use 20D over D200
> for available light basketball games because it has better high ISO
> performance and somehow getting more shots of sharp pictures [not sure
> why].

The D200 AF may be problematic. A Japanese 5D/D200 shootout had the 5D
getting a way higher percentage of AF shots in focus. To the point that in a
burst, the 5D would get more usable images than the D200 despite being a lot
slower.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Scott W

Bill Hilton wrote:
> I guess I was expecting more of an upgrade to the 20D, at least to 10
> Mpixels ... specially given what Nikon's shipping now ...

Not all that much new, as far as I can tell. It kind of looks like
DSLRs are getting to be a mature product. I am very happy with the 20D
so I was not holding my breath for this one, clearly not enough of a
change to be worthwhile to up grade for most of us.

Scott

Gizmo

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I guess I was expecting more of an upgrade to the 20D, at least to 10
> Mpixels ... specially given what Nikon's shipping now ...

Looking at the full specs for the 30D against my 20D took me back to my
childhood ..... playing "spot the difference" !

Derek Fountain

> because people are expecting a direct competition with D200.

And because the step from 20D to 30D implies a significant improvement,
like the 10D to 20D jump was. In fact, this update is far more of a
marketing exercise, and the big jump in model number strikes me as
somewhat cynical.

VK

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> Given what Fuji is doing with its new SuperHR CCD sensors used in
> F10/F11/F30, isn't it more likely that Canon's current breed of APS-C
> sensors have reached their limit and Canon need to re-design the
> sensor?

Who knows? Fujis is a different sensor. Since none of us know
anything about sensor technology (presumably!), this is pure
conjecture.

I for one am glad Canon got out of the incremental megapixel
one-upmanship race.

Vandit

VK

l e o wrote:
> because people are expecting a direct competition with D200.

If you give the Rob Galbraith review any credence, the 20D already does
compete with the D200. It aint just megapixels: speed of AF and
megapixels also count.

V.