Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > cisco 17xx or 851

cisco 17xx or 851

jcharth@hotmail.com

Hello I have a pix in the main office and crypto maps (3des ) to all my
remote locations.currently all my remote locations have 17xx routers
with 2 ethernet cards, one built in and a wic ether card. In China and
HK i set up a spoke and hub config. With one subnet in China, One
subnet in HK and 3 subnets here in the main office. I found the 851
and 107 router to be really cheap. Looks like 107 can do only dsl. My
remote office use dsl or cable with a static ip. Are there any
disavantages of using a 851 instead of a 1700? can 851 use 3des crypto
maps? spoke and hub with access-lists? What about the 107s? thanks.

jcharth@hotmail.com

for got to ask also does 851 have ip helper, what ios does it run?

Richard Deal

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> for got to ask also does 851 have ip helper, what ios does it run?

The 1700 supports hardware encryption, whereas the 800s don't. I have a 871
router for home use and am quite happy with it--it supports about 10 Mbps
clear text and around 3 for encryption, which may or may not work for you.
The main reason I bought the 871 was for its optional built-in wireless
functionality. Plus, with a flash and RAM upgrade, I can support the
advanced feature set with IPS and QOS, which isn't really necessary for my
home usage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
Richard

Walter Roberson

In article <r7erf.779$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Richard Deal <rdeal2 @ cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>The 1700 supports hardware encryption, whereas the 800s don't.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d8028a976.html

[871] Security Features:
"Hardware-accelerated 3DES for IPSec"
"Hardware-accelerated AES for IPSec"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d8028a9a9.html

[851] Security Features:

"Hardware-accelerated Triple Data Encryption Standard (3DES) for IPSec"
"Hardware-accelerated Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) for IPSec"

I believe that if you investigate further, you will find that the 83x and up
have hardware encryption.

Igor Mamuzic

Yes it does supports 'ip helper'... It runs IOS 12.3 or 12.4 with "Advanced
Security" feature set and it's only FS that it runs at 12.4 T train...
It supports hw crypto for ipsec as Walter already explained...
It doesn't supports Cisco DMVPN feature in the hub or even spoke role...

B.R.
Igor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> for got to ask also does 851 have ip helper, what ios does it run?

jcharth@hotmail.com

Thanks for your replies, I currently have a hub and poke config in some
remote sites. I am not a cisco guru but i simply played around with the
access-lists to do this. I believe there is a new type of vpn, probably
DMVPN. Can i set up a spoke and hub without dmvpn? i probably need
another lne with static ips just to play around with this. I have a pix
firewall in the office and the remotes connect to a remote site using a
1700 router that connects to the main office.

Igor Mamuzic

If your router doesn't supports DMVPN you can deploy hub and spoke (without
multicast support - no routing protocols) with Cisco EasyVPN Remote and
Cisco EasyVPN Server... After that you can opt do deploy IPSec Virtual
interfaces (I'm unsure whether 851 supports this) and then you will have a
multicast support trough IPSec tunnels, so you 'll be able to run routing
protocols over this VPN...Other way for multicast enabled vpn is to use GRE
encapsulation encrypted with IPSec...

The best way to start is to get your self a Cisco Security Device Manager to
configure VPN's using Microsoft like wizards...
www.cisco.com/go/sdm

Here are some useful links:
EasyVPN:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080455b7d.html

IPSec Virtual interfaces config guide:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk58...8029d629.shtml

B.R.
Igor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Thanks for your replies, I currently have a hub and poke config in some
> remote sites. I am not a cisco guru but i simply played around with the
> access-lists to do this. I believe there is a new type of vpn, probably
> DMVPN. Can i set up a spoke and hub without dmvpn? i probably need
> another lne with static ips just to play around with this. I have a pix
> firewall in the office and the remotes connect to a remote site using a
> 1700 router that connects to the main office.

is an 851 to 851 ipsec tunnel possible? Zedsquared Cisco 0 02-03-2010 07:34 PM
17xx supported ifOperStaus jamesjesse68@yahoo.com Cisco 0 02-19-2008 09:49 PM
cisco 851 qos jas0n Cisco 0 06-18-2005 11:58 AM
17xx Damian Cisco 5 01-31-2005 03:48 PM
VPN IPSEC connection between a cisco 17xx and Nortel vpn box Joris Deschacht Cisco 0 10-16-2003 02:13 PM

Advertisments