Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon lens vignetting demo with FF sensors

Canon lens vignetting demo with FF sensors

MarkČ

Here's an interesting site that has created a very nice demonstration of a
large number of Canon lenses...showing how much vignetting is present at
various focal lengths.

http://tinyurl.com/bjru8

It takes a little fiddling to figure out how the page is set up, but click
on the different options above the samples, and you'll get the idea. If you
click on "Contour Results," you can choose the lens, the focal length, and
the aperture value...for a very detailed view of the frame, complete with EV
zones within the frame.

-Mark

Malcolm Stewart

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> Here's an interesting site that has created a very nice demonstration of a
> large number of Canon lenses...showing how much vignetting is present at
> various focal lengths.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bjru8

Thanks for the link - the vignetting stuff has been added since I last
visited.

If anything, he seems even keener now on zooms than I recall. Pity that the
L zooms are somewhat large and heavy - I prefer not noticing what I'm
carrying.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Skip M

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> Here's an interesting site that has created a very nice demonstration of a
> large number of Canon lenses...showing how much vignetting is present at
> various focal lengths.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/bjru8
>
> It takes a little fiddling to figure out how the page is set up, but click
> on the different options above the samples, and you'll get the idea. If
> you click on "Contour Results," you can choose the lens, the focal
> length, and the aperture value...for a very detailed view of the frame,
> complete with EV zones within the frame.
>
> -Mark

I notice that his 16-35 and 17-40 vignette tests include a standard UV
filter. That could contribute significantly to the vignetting, I'd think...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Kennedy McEwen

In article <LkUJf.906$kt2.624@fed1read02>, Skip M
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>I notice that his 16-35 and 17-40 vignette tests include a standard UV
>filter. That could contribute significantly to the vignetting, I'd think...

There are comparisons with and without filters, which are only included
at the wide end - hover the mouse over the thumbnail and it shows the
data.
--
Kennedy

Skip M

"Kennedy McEwen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <LkUJf.906$kt2.624@fed1read02>, Skip M <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writes
>>>

>>I notice that his 16-35 and 17-40 vignette tests include a standard UV
>>filter. That could contribute significantly to the vignetting, I'd
>>think...
>>

> There are comparisons with and without filters, which are only included at
> the wide end - hover the mouse over the thumbnail and it shows the data.

Oh. I just wasn't patient enough, just hovered the mouse over a few of
them. I guess, coincidentally, over the ones with the filter.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

John A. Stovall

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:43:08 -0800, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

I fail to understand the obsession people have with vignetting. If you
don't like it fix it in Photoshop just like we did in the darkroom
with wet processing.

Secondly, in January at a printing seminar, the noted landscape
photographer taught the intentional production of a vignetting effect
to enhance the image and keep the viewers eye centered on the primary
subject. I would also point out that Ansel Adams did the same thing
by intentionally darkening the corners of his LF prints to produce
this.

"A combat photographer should be able to make you see the
color of blood in black and white"

David Douglas Duncan
Speaking on why in Vietnam
he worked only in black and white
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/ddd/

MarkČ

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:43:08 -0800, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>

> I fail to understand the obsession people have with vignetting.

Did I write something that indicated an obsession with vignetting?

Bart van der Wolf

"John A. Stovall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:43:08 -0800, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>

> I fail to understand the obsession people have with vignetting. If
> you
> don't like it fix it in Photoshop ...

When you 'fix' it in Photoshop, the fixed parts have more Photon shot
noise due to underexposure, and that extra noise is further increased
by post-processing it.

Bart

nikojorj_jaimepaslapub@yahoo.Fr

Bart van der Wolf wrote:
> When you 'fix' it in Photoshop, the fixed parts have more Photon shot
> noise due to underexposure, and that extra noise is further increased
> by post-processing it.

Sir yes Sir, but imho that noise increase should need something like a
2 ou 3-stop vignetting to be apparent, not something really common in
real world (unless shooting at 12mm FF or so)?

I must admit I also agree with the proposal to make, by default, a bit
of vignetting to keep the interest of the reader in the center (ie not
in the corners) of the image.

MarkČ

> Bart van der Wolf wrote:
>> When you 'fix' it in Photoshop, the fixed parts have more Photon shot
>> noise due to underexposure, and that extra noise is further increased
>> by post-processing it.

> Sir yes Sir, but imho that noise increase should need something like a
> 2 ou 3-stop vignetting to be apparent, not something really common in
> real world (unless shooting at 12mm FF or so)?
>
> I must admit I also agree with the proposal to make, by default, a bit
> of vignetting to keep the interest of the reader in the center (ie not
> in the corners) of the image.

So you always want your subject focus to be dead-center in the frame??????