Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus Camera Software Question

Olympus Camera Software Question

Lou Leciejewski

I have an Olympus D-360L Digital Camera and just tried to import some new
pictures to my PC (Windows 9 and the software would not allow me to do
the task. I did an uninstall on the Camedia Olympus Software with no
problem. I have the original Software Installation Disk and thought I would
reinstall the software but when I insert the CD the automatic installation
wizard does not open. I then went to see what is on the CD and tried to
click on each of the icons to see if that would open the program and it
also will not work. Has anyone ever had to do a reinstall of their Olympus
D-360L Camedia Software? I tried the tollfree number but they are not
online for weekends so I will call Monday. Perhaps I need a fresh
installation CD?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lou

editor@netpath.net

Forget the Olympus software (and cable) method. Instead, get an
inexpensive card reader that stays plugged into your computer all the
time, comes with any needed software - and lets you read in all the
photos straight from the card without having to have the digicam's
batteries charged and the digicam on.

fishfry

In article <Xns976E9019FC224garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44>,
Lou Leciejewski <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an Olympus D-360L Digital Camera and just tried to import some new
> pictures to my PC (Windows 9 and the software would not allow me to do
> the task. I did an uninstall on the Camedia Olympus Software with no
> problem. I have the original Software Installation Disk and thought I would
> reinstall the software but when I insert the CD the automatic installation
> wizard does not open. I then went to see what is on the CD and tried to
> click on each of the icons to see if that would open the program and it
> also will not work. Has anyone ever had to do a reinstall of their Olympus
> D-360L Camedia Software? I tried the tollfree number but they are not
> online for weekends so I will call Monday. Perhaps I need a fresh
> installation CD?

I second the other poster who suggested a USB or FireWire card reader.
When you put the card in the reader, the card mounts on your desktop and
looks like a hard drive. Then you just drag the files over onto your
desktop or into a folder of your choice.

Now if you're saying that you formerly used to be able to import
directly from the camera, and now suddenly you can't, maybe the serial
port on the camera is flaky.

editor@netpath.net

Fishfry wrote:
>Now if you're saying that you formerly used to be >able to import directly from the camera, and now >suddenly you can't, maybe the serial
>port on the camera is flaky.

There's a much bigger problem with importing from the digicam. It's
that many - probably most all - desktops have their ports on their
BACK, making hooking up the cable damn inconvenient. Only for laptops
- and even then only for infrequent use - might importing from the
digicam make sense, but an experiment with a laptop and a PCMCIA
adapter for a CF card showed that CF cards can much easier be read that
way.

Lou Leciejewski

fishfry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <Xns976E9019FC224garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44>,
> Lou Leciejewski <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> I second the other poster who suggested a USB or FireWire card reader.
> When you put the card in the reader, the card mounts on your desktop
> and looks like a hard drive. Then you just drag the files over onto
> your desktop or into a folder of your choice.
>
> Now if you're saying that you formerly used to be able to import
> directly from the camera, and now suddenly you can't, maybe the serial
> port on the camera is flaky.

Thanks all for the advice ... I will check into the card reader after I
call Olympus Monday and see why when I insert the Olympus software CD it
won't reinstall on my PC. Something got corrupted in the Olympus software
an everytime I'd want to open the software program to download pictures
from the camera to the PC the software would lock up and I'd have to reboot
the PC so I uninstalled the Olympus software. I think my serial port is ok
there is something that went amiss with the Olympus software.

Thanks

Lou

Keith Sheppard

>>Something got corrupted in the Olympus software
>>an everytime I'd want to open the software program to download pictures
>>from the camera to the PC the software would lock up and I'd have to
>>reboot
>>the PC so I uninstalled the Olympus software. I think my serial port is ok
>>there is something that went amiss with the Olympus software.

I have found Olympus software to be somewhat flakey. Camedia frequently
crashes on my computer. For that reason, I added Oly camera support to my
own application. If you want a third option you could try a free download
of my PhotoMan application from
http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sh...toman/home.htm. From the File
menu, choose Open Olympus Camera and you should get a window of thumbnails
showing the pictures in your camera. You can then download all or selected
images to your computer.

The bad news is that I am reliant on the Olympus drivers to get the
information out of the camera. Sometimes these can return an error 255 (no
idea what it's supposed to mean) so I cannot guarantee my application will
work where camedia is failing. It's worth a try though because it's free.

Keith

Lou Leciejewski

"Keith Sheppard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:45jKf.49631$(E-Mail Removed):

>>>Something got corrupted in the Olympus software
>>>an everytime I'd want to open the software program to download
>>>pictures from the camera to the PC the software would lock up and I'd
>>>have to reboot
>>>the PC so I uninstalled the Olympus software. I think my serial port
>>>is ok there is something that went amiss with the Olympus software.

> I have found Olympus software to be somewhat flakey. Camedia
> frequently crashes on my computer. For that reason, I added Oly
> camera support to my own application. If you want a third option you
> could try a free download of my PhotoMan application from
> http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sh...toman/home.htm. From
> the File menu, choose Open Olympus Camera and you should get a window
> of thumbnails showing the pictures in your camera. You can then
> download all or selected images to your computer.
>
> The bad news is that I am reliant on the Olympus drivers to get the
> information out of the camera. Sometimes these can return an error
> 255 (no idea what it's supposed to mean) so I cannot guarantee my
> application will work where camedia is failing. It's worth a try
> though because it's free.
>
> Keith

Thanks for the reply Keith, I will check your page out. I called olympus
today and they sai that since I have Windows 98 they have had problems.The
Customer Service Rep at Olympus had me install the CamMedia CD and click on
the "SETUP" Icon ... that did nothing so he said that maybe something is
stuck in the Register and that I should have the Register swept on my PC
and they try and re-install the CamMedia Software CD. I have swept my PC
for ADWARE & SPYWARE but never a Register so is there any free Register
Sweep Software out there that I could try this? Anyone ever have to do
this? The Olympus Rep said that if I buy a Reader Card and that my PC has
USB ports I should be able to use the direct method by reading the card
from the camera directly to the PC BUT... due wo Windows 98 (I have the
first edition) it MAY not work. ANy other suggestions are welcome... any
comments?

Thanks

Lou

Email: (E-Mail Removed)

Gene Palmiter

Try this

http://www.nabocorp.com/cam2pc/

I used to use it....but the real solution is to get a card reader. There was
an earlier version of cam2pc that did little more than download from the
camera....that may still be available somewhere as freeware.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

"Lou Leciejewski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9771D6C4FB24garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44.. .
> "Keith Sheppard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:45jKf.49631$(E-Mail Removed):

>> I have found Olympus software to be somewhat flakey. Camedia
>> frequently crashes on my computer. For that reason, I added Oly
>> camera support to my own application. If you want a third option you
>> could try a free download of my PhotoMan application from
>> http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sh...toman/home.htm. From
>> the File menu, choose Open Olympus Camera and you should get a window
>> of thumbnails showing the pictures in your camera. You can then
>> download all or selected images to your computer.
>>
>> The bad news is that I am reliant on the Olympus drivers to get the
>> information out of the camera. Sometimes these can return an error
>> 255 (no idea what it's supposed to mean) so I cannot guarantee my
>> application will work where camedia is failing. It's worth a try
>> though because it's free.
>>
>> Keith
>>

> Thanks for the reply Keith, I will check your page out. I called olympus
> today and they sai that since I have Windows 98 they have had problems.The
> Customer Service Rep at Olympus had me install the CamMedia CD and click
> on
> the "SETUP" Icon ... that did nothing so he said that maybe something is
> stuck in the Register and that I should have the Register swept on my PC
> and they try and re-install the CamMedia Software CD. I have swept my PC
> for ADWARE & SPYWARE but never a Register so is there any free Register
> Sweep Software out there that I could try this? Anyone ever have to do
> this? The Olympus Rep said that if I buy a Reader Card and that my PC has
> USB ports I should be able to use the direct method by reading the card
> from the camera directly to the PC BUT... due wo Windows 98 (I have the
> first edition) it MAY not work. ANy other suggestions are welcome... any
> comments?
>
> Thanks
>
> Lou
>
> Email: (E-Mail Removed)

Lou Leciejewski

"Gene Palmiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Try this
>
> http://www.nabocorp.com/cam2pc/
>
> I used to use it....but the real solution is to get a card reader.
> There was an earlier version of cam2pc that did little more than
> download from the camera....that may still be available somewhere as
> freeware.

Thanks Gene for the tip ... Yes, there is a cam2pc freeware version
that I found and downloaded. It looks very similar to the Olympus
Camedia Software that came with my canera. I will try it soon with the
Olympus Camera and see what happens.

Lou