Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Viewing images with Nikon software

Viewing images with Nikon software

Dootje

My new Nikon CoolScan V ED film scanner is producing some quite
up-to-standard images from color negatives, but there is a strange effect
that eludes me:
The Nikon Scan software (version 4.0.2) allows saving in other formats (TIFF
or JPG). When I view such an image in Paint Shop or Irfanview (on the same
monitor) the image looks much more 'granular' (if that's the right word for
it) compared to the same file viewed with the Nikon software. What could be
the cause of this?

Dootje

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:04:34 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Dootje"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My new Nikon CoolScan V ED film scanner is producing some quite
>up-to-standard images from color negatives, but there is a strange effect
>that eludes me:
>The Nikon Scan software (version 4.0.2) allows saving in other formats (TIFF
>or JPG). When I view such an image in Paint Shop or Irfanview (on the same
>monitor) the image looks much more 'granular' (if that's the right word for
>it) compared to the same file viewed with the Nikon software. What could be
>the cause of this?

First, the only way for a fair comparison is to view the images at 100% in
all applications.

However, Irfanview I believe by default is not set resample images when not
at 1:1. Go to Options => Properties=> Viewing and check the first entry,
Use "Resample" function for Fit options....

In PSP8 at least, File => Preferences=> Display and Caching, move the
slider for Zoom Rescaling Quality all the way to the right.

Dootje

Dear Ed,

Thanks for your very helpful hints. The Irfanview settings works like a
charm. As for Paint Shop Pro, I have version 7 installed, and apparently the
'Display and Caching' setting is not yet available there (or hidden in a
spot where I haven't been able to discover it). I'll keep looking for a
workaround, though.

Dootje

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in
bericht news:(E-Mail Removed)...