Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Formatting the memory card

Formatting the memory card

Randall Ainsworth

In article <gpIJf.22487$(E-Mail Removed) >, David J
Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote:

> In case the battery isn't fully charged, and the camera fails half-way
> through the format.

It takes my 10D about a half second to format a 512MB card. I don't
think the batteries are going to die in that short of a time.

timepixdc

In article <2CFJf.14107$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Toomanyputters" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> since I never fill
> up the card, and always format in the camera, is this wearing out the card
> prematurely?

Nope. The CF card has a format cycle of 10-20,000 so assuming you format
your card once a day you've got the next 25 to 50 years to got.

Prometheus

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ASAAR
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:38:11 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>> I wonder: since I never fill up the card, and always format in the
>>> camera, is this wearing out the card prematurely?

>> Why are you formatting the card every time you use it? You won't
>> wear it out. Why can't you cut and paste the pics in the card reader
>> instead of using copy and paste?

> Most people think it's unwise to cut and past, if by that you mean
>a MOVE operation. If something goes wrong during the operation you
>risk losing all of the files.

A move operation is a copy followed by a delete of the original after
successfully writing the file to the location, you can verify this
process by attempting to move a file from a write protected source (CD,
floppy, SD card, network drive); you will find that you have a copy of
the file in the new location, a copy left in the old location, and an
error message telling you that the file could not be moved.

>Several months ago using Windows
>Explorer to move files from one drive D: to drive F: not only
>resulting in the loss of files when Explorer crashed, but it took
>with it about 10% of the Windows system files on drive C:.

The fact that it damaged so many files it was not moving, or even
copying, does not indicate that moving a file has any more risk than
copying it. Any connected media is at risk during a crash, even a read
operation could be corrupted in to an uncontrolled write to the device.

>It's
>safer to copy files from the flash card to the computer, and after
>safely making a CD or DVD copy, delete/format the card in the
>camera.

It is certainly a good idea to ensure you have several copies before you
delete or format the memory card.

>But if any
>formatting is done it should be done in the camera.

Very true.

--
Ian G8ILZ

Battleax

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:180220060928376996%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Then after a successfully copy and paste just delete the files with
>> the memory card reader. Formatting should only be done by the camera
>> as you say, but formatting every time with a battery operated camera
>> is not needed or wise.

> Oh? And why is that? I work with a guy who would copy the pics from his
> 20D and then delete them from the card, not knowing that Canon makes a
> new folder every 100 shots. It got to a point where he couldn't find
> his new pics on the card.
>
> Formatting in the camera after copying out each session is a safe way
> to know that you're always starting fresh.

What's with all the formatting? Once a card is formatted there's no reason
to reformat unless there's some sort of problem. It isn't even good for
security as one poster recommended, it won't remove anything from the card

David J Taylor

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
> In article <gpIJf.22487$(E-Mail Removed) >, David J
> Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In case the battery isn't fully charged, and the camera fails
>> half-way through the format.

> It takes my 10D about a half second to format a 512MB card. I don't
> think the batteries are going to die in that short of a time.

Agreed.

Nevertheless, failing batteries do seem to be one of the main causes of
corrupt memory cards.

David

Prometheus

In article <6dIJf.1064$Em2.860@trndny05>, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes

>"tomm42" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> CF cards are extremely durable and transfering data, formating won't
>> hurt it. I do this at work all the time, work in a medical setting so
>> any data on unprotected sources has to be destroyed. We use a 4 year
>> old Fuji S1 and reformat all the time, two of the cards are as old as
>> the camera.
>>

>Destroying the data won't be achieved by formatting alone. You can do a
>better job using either a good hammer or download cw103.zip from PhotoRescue
>site. The latter will permit re-use of the card.
>Dave Cohen

To prevent old date being recovered use one of the secure erase
programmes, I doubt their is any point write more than once, or you
could just copy a file that is almost as large as the card to it. There
are a number of undelete programmes that are free for private use, "Zero
Assumption" will only recover photograph files of a few formats in its
freeware version, "Turbo file unerase 1.1" will undelete any files.
--
Ian G8ILZ

tomm42

For all intents and purposes a format cleans the card enough, unless
someone is REALLY trying to get the data. The new Lexar secure cards
may be a little safer, but would my secure database be able to access
the info on the card. Right now it takes the info right off the card,
but not after entering the pertenent information aof the photos on the
card. After some photosessions a hammer may be useful.

tom

Prometheus

In article <IiJJf.22559$(E-Mail Removed)> , David J
Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> writes
>Randall Ainsworth wrote:
>> In article <gpIJf.22487$(E-Mail Removed) >, David J
>> Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In case the battery isn't fully charged, and the camera fails
>>> half-way through the format.

>> It takes my 10D about a half second to format a 512MB card. I don't
>> think the batteries are going to die in that short of a time.

>Agreed.
>
>Nevertheless, failing batteries do seem to be one of the main causes of
>corrupt memory cards.

I once had the battery in my Minolta Xt go flat on taking a picture,
after recharging the battery the camera reported a system error and
would not let me do anything. I was able to copy all but the last file
using a card reader (I did not have the cable for the Xt with me) under
Windows XP without using any special software and after copying the
files to a networked server drive and to a USB flash drive I formatted
the card with the PC before I returned it to the Xt where I formatted it
again to lay down the folder structure..

--
Ian G8ILZ

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:02:16 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

>Nevertheless, failing batteries do seem to be one of the main causes of
>corrupt memory cards.

Also, not good to take a shot, where the camera is writing to the card as
the baths run out either. My Nikon CP=99/5700 specifically did not like
this.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On 18 Feb 2006 10:13:15 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "tomm42"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For all intents and purposes a format cleans the card enough, unless
>someone is REALLY trying to get the data.

I don't believe that to be true. Most utils can deal with this.