Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon S2 viewfinder in bright light

Canon S2 viewfinder in bright light

edward101@gmail.com

I am thinking about buying this camera, but a couple of reviews have
stated that both the viewfinder and lcd screen are difficult to see in
bright light. I would use it frequently in bright settings, such as
the beach, soccer games, etc. Is it really difficult to use in bright
light, or just not as good as others? Also, does the viewfinder have a
diopter focus? Thanks for any help.

Edward

Scarlet Pimpernel

I've had the S2 for some months now, and would agree that the LCD
screen is difficult to use in bright light. But I would suggest this is
so with most digicams, and there are several options for adding an
after market hood to the back, though this makes the camera harder to
pack.

So I leave the LCD screen almost permanently switched off and use the
EVF exclusively. This saves battery, and has the advantage of diopter
adjustment, so I can leave my reading glasses packed away. There are
two brightness settings for the EVF/LCD, and on the higher setting I've
never had a problem seeing the screen. Note that you can use the EVF
(diopter adjusted!) for shooting, playback, and changing settings via
the menus.

With several thousand shots on the clock, I must say I've been entirely
satisfied with the camera. You need to be more "focus aware" than with
the smaller point-and-shoots, because the long lens can deliver a very
narrow depth-of-field at large apertures, but this is a feature rather
than a limitation, especially for people shots, and is easily
overridden via the Av setting. The IS is also fantastic!

HTH.

/M

John H

On 17 Feb 2006 09:15:55 -0800, "Scarlet Pimpernel"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've had the S2 for some months now, and would agree that the LCD
>screen is difficult to use in bright light. But I would suggest this is
>so with most digicams, and there are several options for adding an
>after market hood to the back, though this makes the camera harder to
>pack.
>
>So I leave the LCD screen almost permanently switched off and use the
>EVF exclusively. This saves battery, and has the advantage of diopter
>adjustment, so I can leave my reading glasses packed away. There are
>two brightness settings for the EVF/LCD, and on the higher setting I've
>never had a problem seeing the screen. Note that you can use the EVF
>(diopter adjusted!) for shooting, playback, and changing settings via
>the menus.
>
>With several thousand shots on the clock, I must say I've been entirely
>satisfied with the camera. You need to be more "focus aware" than with
>the smaller point-and-shoots, because the long lens can deliver a very
>narrow depth-of-field at large apertures, but this is a feature rather
>than a limitation, especially for people shots, and is easily
>overridden via the Av setting. The IS is also fantastic!
>
>HTH.
>
>/M

I've had the S2 for some months now and would make the same
observations as above.

John H

snapper@mailinator.com

On 17 Feb 2006 08:49:12 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I am thinking about buying this camera, but a couple of reviews have
> stated that both the viewfinder and lcd screen are difficult to see in
> bright light. I would use it frequently in bright settings, such as
> the beach, soccer games, etc. Is it really difficult to use in bright
> light, or just not as good as others? Also, does the viewfinder have a
> diopter focus? Thanks for any help.

Viewfinder is OK in bright light, LCD is useless in bright light, as is the LCD screen on every
digital camera that I have played with.

It has a diopter adjustment.

Scott in Florida

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've had the S2 for some months now, and would agree that the LCD
>screen is difficult to use in bright light. But I would suggest this is
>so with most digicams, and there are several options for adding an
>after market hood to the back, though this makes the camera harder to
>pack.
>
>So I leave the LCD screen almost permanently switched off and use the
>EVF exclusively. This saves battery, and has the advantage of diopter
>adjustment, so I can leave my reading glasses packed away. There are
>two brightness settings for the EVF/LCD, and on the higher setting I've
>never had a problem seeing the screen. Note that you can use the EVF
>(diopter adjusted!) for shooting, playback, and changing settings via
>the menus.
>
>With several thousand shots on the clock, I must say I've been entirely
>satisfied with the camera. You need to be more "focus aware" than with
>the smaller point-and-shoots, because the long lens can deliver a very
>narrow depth-of-field at large apertures, but this is a feature rather
>than a limitation, especially for people shots, and is easily
>overridden via the Av setting. The IS is also fantastic!
>
>HTH.
>
>/M

I've had my S2 for about 6 months and agree with you.

I do use the LCD, but not in bright sunlight.

--

Scott in Florida

Edward

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2006 08:49:12 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>I am thinking about buying this camera, but a couple of reviews have
>>stated that both the viewfinder and lcd screen are difficult to see in
>>bright light. I would use it frequently in bright settings, such as
>>the beach, soccer games, etc. Is it really difficult to use in bright
>>light, or just not as good as others? Also, does the viewfinder have a
>>diopter focus? Thanks for any help.

> Viewfinder is OK in bright light, LCD is useless in bright light, as is the LCD screen on every
> digital camera that I have played with.
>
> It has a diopter adjustment.

Thanks for all of the responses. I ordered one today!

Moro Grubb of Little Delving

"Edward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IZxJf.17930$(E-Mail Removed)...

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> On 17 Feb 2006 08:49:12 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>>I am thinking about buying this camera, but a couple of reviews have
>>>stated that both the viewfinder and lcd screen are difficult to see in
>>>bright light. I would use it frequently in bright settings, such as
>>>the beach, soccer games, etc. Is it really difficult to use in bright
>>>light, or just not as good as others? Also, does the viewfinder have a
>>>diopter focus? Thanks for any help.

>> Viewfinder is OK in bright light, LCD is useless in bright light, as is
>> the LCD screen on every
>> digital camera that I have played with.
>>
>> It has a diopter adjustment.

> Thanks for all of the responses. I ordered one today!

Excellent! Now get yourself off to the lensmate website and get a lens
adapter and UV filter (http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2.html) for
$35-odd (for both), to stick on the front to keep that lens in good order!

Have fun!

/M