Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Circular fisheye for a DSLR?

Circular fisheye for a DSLR?

Ilmari Karonen

After using compact digicams for a few years, I bought my first DSLR
(a Nikon D70s) a few months ago, and have been learning to make proper
use of it since. I like doing night sky photography, and I've thought
for some time about getting a 180 circular fisheye lens for full sky
photos.

Unfortunately, no-one seems to make circular fisheye lenses for the DX
/ APS-C format. Based on a formula I found online, it seems I'd need
a 5.5mm fisheye to get 180 coverage in a 15.6mm circle, whereas the
shortest reasonably priced fisheye lenses seem to be 8mm.

As far as I can tell, I seem to have three options:

* Stick to compacts and use a fisheye converter like the Nikon
FC-E8/E9. Those are fairly reasonably priced, and I've read
positive comments about the image quality of the E9. But I'd rather
like to use my fancy new DSLR now that I've got it.

* Use a .2x fisheye converter with a 24mm lens. The Nikon converters
mentioned above can apparently be used like that with a suitable
step down ring, although I've also read vague warnings that this is
not something they're designed for. This way I could also use the
same converter on a compact if I wanted. I've also found some other
inexpensive fisheye converters for sale on the net, such as a .22x
converter from Opteka, but I've no idea what their quality may be.

* Use an 8mm or longer fisheye with a relay system like the one shown
at <http://www.naturfotograf.com/D1_fisheye_1,html.htm>. Frankly,
the picture on that page scares me.

So, any suggestions? I'm inclined towards the second option above
right now, but any ideas are welcome.

--
Ilmari Karonen
To reply by e-mail, please replace ".invalid" with ".net" in address.

cissmuass@gmail.com

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ilmari
Karonen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> After using compact digicams for a few years, I bought my first DSLR
> (a Nikon D70s) a few months ago, and have been learning to make proper
> use of it since. I like doing night sky photography, and I've thought
> for some time about getting a 180 circular fisheye lens for full sky
> photos.
>
> Unfortunately, no-one seems to make circular fisheye lenses for the DX
> / APS-C format.

nikon does:
<http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2148>

sigma does:
<http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?navigator=4>

i didn't check any other lens maker - perhaps there are more.

Aad

"Ilmari Karonen" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> After using compact digicams for a few years, I bought my first DSLR
> (a Nikon D70s) a few months ago, and have been learning to make proper
> use of it since. I like doing night sky photography, and I've thought
> for some time about getting a 180 circular fisheye lens for full sky
> photos.
>
> Unfortunately, no-one seems to make circular fisheye lenses for the DX
> / APS-C format. Based on a formula I found online, it seems I'd need
> a 5.5mm fisheye to get 180 coverage in a 15.6mm circle, whereas the
> shortest reasonably priced fisheye lenses seem to be 8mm.
>
> As far as I can tell, I seem to have three options:
>
> * Stick to compacts and use a fisheye converter like the Nikon
> FC-E8/E9. Those are fairly reasonably priced, and I've read
> positive comments about the image quality of the E9. But I'd rather
> like to use my fancy new DSLR now that I've got it.
>
> * Use a .2x fisheye converter with a 24mm lens. The Nikon converters
> mentioned above can apparently be used like that with a suitable
> step down ring, although I've also read vague warnings that this is
> not something they're designed for. This way I could also use the
> same converter on a compact if I wanted. I've also found some other
> inexpensive fisheye converters for sale on the net, such as a .22x
> converter from Opteka, but I've no idea what their quality may be.
>
> * Use an 8mm or longer fisheye with a relay system like the one shown
> at <http://www.naturfotograf.com/D1_fisheye_1,html.htm>. Frankly,
> the picture on that page scares me.
>
> So, any suggestions? I'm inclined towards the second option above
> right now, but any ideas are welcome.
>
> --
> Ilmari Karonen
> To reply by e-mail, please replace ".invalid" with ".net" in address.
> "String theory is all very well, but I think I can beat it with my
> chewing-gum and elastic band theory." -- Lemming on ahbou.d

I've just received this one yesterday.
http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/stuf...g_fisheye.html
It's amazing for that kind of money.
Aad

Pat

THE REPLY ABOVE THIS IS SPAM
THE REPLY ABOVE THIS IS SPAM

george

"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:160220061213561200%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ilmari
> Karonen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> After using compact digicams for a few years, I bought my first DSLR
>> (a Nikon D70s) a few months ago, and have been learning to make proper
>> use of it since. I like doing night sky photography, and I've thought
>> for some time about getting a 180 circular fisheye lens for full sky
>> photos.
>>
>> Unfortunately, no-one seems to make circular fisheye lenses for the DX
>> / APS-C format.

> nikon does:
> <http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2148>
>
> sigma does:
> <http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?navigator=4>
>
> i didn't check any other lens maker - perhaps there are more.

Neither of those is a circular fisheye and one is not currently made. If
you want
a dslr w/a circular fisheye, your choices are:
1) Canon FF dslr w/Nikon circular fisheye w/EOS-Nikon adapter
2) Canon FF dslr w/Canon FD circular fisheye w/EOS-FD adapter

george

"Aad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ilmari Karonen" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> After using compact digicams for a few years, I bought my first DSLR
>> (a Nikon D70s) a few months ago, and have been learning to make proper
>> use of it since. I like doing night sky photography, and I've thought
>> for some time about getting a 180 circular fisheye lens for full sky
>> photos.
>>
>> Unfortunately, no-one seems to make circular fisheye lenses for the DX
>> / APS-C format. Based on a formula I found online, it seems I'd need
>> a 5.5mm fisheye to get 180 coverage in a 15.6mm circle, whereas the
>> shortest reasonably priced fisheye lenses seem to be 8mm.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, I seem to have three options:
>>
>> * Stick to compacts and use a fisheye converter like the Nikon
>> FC-E8/E9. Those are fairly reasonably priced, and I've read
>> positive comments about the image quality of the E9. But I'd rather
>> like to use my fancy new DSLR now that I've got it.
>>
>> * Use a .2x fisheye converter with a 24mm lens. The Nikon converters
>> mentioned above can apparently be used like that with a suitable
>> step down ring, although I've also read vague warnings that this is
>> not something they're designed for. This way I could also use the
>> same converter on a compact if I wanted. I've also found some other
>> inexpensive fisheye converters for sale on the net, such as a .22x
>> converter from Opteka, but I've no idea what their quality may be.
>>
>> * Use an 8mm or longer fisheye with a relay system like the one shown
>> at <http://www.naturfotograf.com/D1_fisheye_1,html.htm>. Frankly,
>> the picture on that page scares me.
>>
>> So, any suggestions? I'm inclined towards the second option above
>> right now, but any ideas are welcome.
>>
>> --
>> Ilmari Karonen
>> To reply by e-mail, please replace ".invalid" with ".net" in address.
>> "String theory is all very well, but I think I can beat it with my
>> chewing-gum and elastic band theory." -- Lemming on ahbou.d

> I've just received this one yesterday.
> http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/stuf...g_fisheye.html
> It's amazing for that kind of money.
> Aad

Nope, again not circular fisheye...they aren't being made currently by
either Nikon or
Canon (or anyone else left in the photo business). You CAN adapt an older
Nikon or
Canon circular fisheye to a FF Canon dslr or Kodak dslr.

Aad

"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:8b6Jf.110$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Aad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Ilmari Karonen" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> After using compact digicams for a few years, I bought my first DSLR
>>> (a Nikon D70s) a few months ago, and have been learning to make proper
>>> use of it since. I like doing night sky photography, and I've thought
>>> for some time about getting a 180 circular fisheye lens for full sky
>>> photos.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, no-one seems to make circular fisheye lenses for the DX
>>> / APS-C format. Based on a formula I found online, it seems I'd need
>>> a 5.5mm fisheye to get 180 coverage in a 15.6mm circle, whereas the
>>> shortest reasonably priced fisheye lenses seem to be 8mm.
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell, I seem to have three options:
>>>
>>> * Stick to compacts and use a fisheye converter like the Nikon
>>> FC-E8/E9. Those are fairly reasonably priced, and I've read
>>> positive comments about the image quality of the E9. But I'd rather
>>> like to use my fancy new DSLR now that I've got it.
>>>
>>> * Use a .2x fisheye converter with a 24mm lens. The Nikon converters
>>> mentioned above can apparently be used like that with a suitable
>>> step down ring, although I've also read vague warnings that this is
>>> not something they're designed for. This way I could also use the
>>> same converter on a compact if I wanted. I've also found some other
>>> inexpensive fisheye converters for sale on the net, such as a .22x
>>> converter from Opteka, but I've no idea what their quality may be.
>>>
>>> * Use an 8mm or longer fisheye with a relay system like the one shown
>>> at <http://www.naturfotograf.com/D1_fisheye_1,html.htm>. Frankly,
>>> the picture on that page scares me.
>>>
>>> So, any suggestions? I'm inclined towards the second option above
>>> right now, but any ideas are welcome.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ilmari Karonen
>>> To reply by e-mail, please replace ".invalid" with ".net" in address.
>>> "String theory is all very well, but I think I can beat it with my
>>> chewing-gum and elastic band theory." -- Lemming on ahbou.d

>> I've just received this one yesterday.
>> http://www.pauck.de/marco/photo/stuf...g_fisheye.html
>> It's amazing for that kind of money.
>> Aad
>>

> Nope, again not circular fisheye...they aren't being made currently by
> either Nikon or
> Canon (or anyone else left in the photo business). You CAN adapt an older
> Nikon or
> Canon circular fisheye to a FF Canon dslr or Kodak dslr.

Youre mistaking. On my 1.6 crop sensor I still have an 180 degree view. And
circulair it is.
Look halfway this page. You'll see the difference between FF and APS.
http://www.muellerworld.com/peleng/
Aad

dj_nme@hotmail.com

Aad wrote:

> "george" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:8b6Jf.110$(E-Mail Removed)...

<big snip>
> > Nope, again not circular fisheye...they aren't being made currently by
> > either Nikon or
> > Canon (or anyone else left in the photo business). You CAN adapt an older
> > Nikon or
> > Canon circular fisheye to a FF Canon dslr or Kodak dslr.
> >

> Youre mistaking. On my 1.6 crop sensor I still have an 180 degree view. And
> circulair it is.
> Look halfway this page. You'll see the difference between FF and APS.
> http://www.muellerworld.com/peleng/
> Aad

The link provided goes to a 404 error page because Google Groups
included your nym (Aad) as the last part of the URL. (it looked like
this: http://www.muellerworld.com/peleng/Aad in your reply)
Try "bracketing" the URL in future, like this:
<http://www.muellerworld.com/peleng/>

I also get a very similar 180 degree images with my 8mm Peleng Fish-eye
lens and Pentax ist-Ds, which co-incidently has the same 1.5 crop
sensor that your Nikon does

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 22:50:57 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Aad"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Youre mistaking. On my 1.6 crop sensor I still have an 180 degree view. And
>circulair it is.
>Look halfway this page. You'll see the difference between FF and APS.
>http://www.muellerworld.com/peleng/

No, it says:

A Note about Digital Cameras and the Peleng 8mm Lens:

Using this lens with a Nikon D70/D100/D1x/D2H or a Fuji S2/S1 will
effectively crop the circular fisheye to that of a 12mm lens which is
nearly full frame.

This is NOT a circular 180 FOV.