Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 17-85 problem with focal aperture (help!)

Canon 17-85 problem with focal aperture (help!)

Paolo P.

Hi,
I've bought a Canon Rebel XT camera 2 weeks ago with a 17-85 f/4-5.6
Canon zoom.
The camera worked fine the first days, but now I cannot get the f/4
focal aperture when I use the camera at 17 focal lenght. I've tried all
the settings (of course, even the manual one) and I can only get f/5.6
I can set the upper focal apertures and turn back to 5.6, but I cannot
get 4.

Canon support just told me to send the camera and the lens back to the
factory, but I'd really like to know if this problem sounds familiar or
if anyone could please tell me something more (is a camera problem? or
lens?).
It sounds incredible to me and I'm really disappointed, the phone
support just told me to check the aperture focal lenght and clean the
contacts of the zoom....

thank you very much for any suggestion

Paolo

Frank ess

Paolo P. wrote:
> Hi,
> I've bought a Canon Rebel XT camera 2 weeks ago with a 17-85 f/4-5.6
> Canon zoom.
> The camera worked fine the first days, but now I cannot get the f/4
> focal aperture when I use the camera at 17 focal lenght. I've tried
> all the settings (of course, even the manual one) and I can only get
> f/5.6 I can set the upper focal apertures and turn back to 5.6, but
> cannot get 4.
>
> Canon support just told me to send the camera and the lens back to
> the
> factory, but I'd really like to know if this problem sounds familiar
> or if anyone could please tell me something more (is a camera
> problem? or lens?).
> It sounds incredible to me and I'm really disappointed, the phone
> support just told me to check the aperture focal lenght and clean
> the
> contacts of the zoom....
>
> thank you very much for any suggestion

If you can take both to a local camera store with the same items in
stock, to try your camera with their lens and your lens with their
camera, then you'll at least know where the problem lies. Maybe.

--
Frank ess