Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printer recommends?

Printer recommends?

Crash Gordon

Howdy all..

A friend of mine has an Epson 2400 which seems to produce great prints, but
I can't afford one of those. Besides, I think if I want a print bigger than
8x10 I'd probably have it printed at a lab.

What else do you guys recommend that is good, and economical (oxymoron I
know)...but I still have nightmares of the days when I bought a Canon color
printer for 169 bucks and it cost me 30 bucks a month in ink.

Tnx,
R.

bmoag

Bad news: Ink costs have only gone up.
Printing your own is for quality, not cost. This is no different for digital
processes than it was for film processes.
If you cannot wrap your head around that continue to have prints made at
Walmart.

irwell

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:25:17 -0700, "Crash Gordon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Howdy all..
>
>A friend of mine has an Epson 2400 which seems to produce great prints, but
>I can't afford one of those. Besides, I think if I want a print bigger than
>8x10 I'd probably have it printed at a lab.
>
>What else do you guys recommend that is good, and economical (oxymoron I
>know)...but I still have nightmares of the days when I bought a Canon color
>printer for 169 bucks and it cost me 30 bucks a month in ink.
>
>Tnx,
>R.

I think they are all like that. Selling the sizzle and not
the steak. I have the Canon ip6600d and like it a lot,
to get the most out of it you have to use canon Paper and Inks.

Crash Gordon

I guess you didn't grasp the concept here. I want an economical method for
printing at home, with decent quality. For the good stuff I have my stuff
printed at Image Craft, where I've also taken my film for years.

I would't know about Walmart prints, but you apparently do.

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_Q1If.56375$(E-Mail Removed). com...
| Bad news: Ink costs have only gone up.
| Printing your own is for quality, not cost. This is no different for
digital
| processes than it was for film processes.
| If you cannot wrap your head around that continue to have prints made at
| Walmart.

C Wright

On 2/13/06 9:25 AM, in article mx1If.2$(E-Mail Removed), "Crash
Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Howdy all..
>
> A friend of mine has an Epson 2400 which seems to produce great prints, but
> I can't afford one of those. Besides, I think if I want a print bigger than
> 8x10 I'd probably have it printed at a lab.
>
> What else do you guys recommend that is good, and economical (oxymoron I
> know)...but I still have nightmares of the days when I bought a Canon color
> printer for 169 bucks and it cost me 30 bucks a month in ink.
>
> Tnx,
> R.

You might look at the Epson R1800 or the R800. The Canon i9900 is also a
very nice printer.
But, if you are looking for a printer with excellent quality that is also
easy on ink - good luck! If you used 30 bucks worth of ink per month in
your current printer you will probably use that amount in any new printer
that you buy as well.
Chuck

Eatmorepies

"Crash Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mx1If.2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Howdy all..
>
> A friend of mine has an Epson 2400 which seems to produce great prints,
> but
> I can't afford one of those. Besides, I think if I want a print bigger
> than
> 8x10 I'd probably have it printed at a lab.
>
> What else do you guys recommend that is good, and economical (oxymoron I
> know)...but I still have nightmares of the days when I bought a Canon
> color
> printer for 169 bucks and it cost me 30 bucks a month in ink.

Economy prints need to use non original inks. I have used Print Rite ink in
my Epson 1290 for 6 months now. Cartridge costs are about 1/8 of Epson
prices. The colours are o.k. and I have tweaked my printer/monitor so I tend
to get what I see on the screen. I also use non-Epson paper. I went to eBay
and bought several papers, I have settled on a semi-gloss from Germany. I
can now print an A3 (17 by 12 inch) for about 40 UK pence. (100 pence = $1.6
I think). The prints look good and compare favorably with those printed in a
photography shop.

I don't know about longevity, so far so good. Anyway, a cheap home printing
system allows me to print whenever I like. I also like monochrome, the black
ink setting lets me print large B+W images that look quite good at minimal
cost - it looks good on other papers as well so I am using up the papers I
bought that don't take the coloured ink so well.

For A4 (a bit bigger than 8x10) I use an Epson R200. I am using original ink
with this printer - until I run out, then it's off to Print Rite.

John

Michael Johnson, PE

Crash Gordon wrote:
> I guess you didn't grasp the concept here. I want an economical method for
> printing at home, with decent quality. For the good stuff I have my stuff
> printed at Image Craft, where I've also taken my film for years.

I would recommend a Canon PIXMA printer. You could probably get a very
good deal on an iP4000 right now if you can find one. It has been
discontinued for the newer iP4200. I have the iP4000 and it prints
excellent photos and I buy compatible cartridges for less than $2 each
here: http://www.tylermartin.com/ If you refill at home then your ink
costs will be even less. The compatible carts get me about 95% of the
quality of OEM ink for 20% of the cost. For my needs it is a good
trade-off.