Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Pixma iP5200

Canon Pixma iP5200

Keith Foster

I've just bought one (in UK) and would like to know of any source of good
alternative cartridges and are they (either the original Canon or
compatibles) successfully refillable?

I'm also having to get to grips with printer profiles and would welcome some
thoughts and any appropriate links (at my age, I need to sit down with a
drink and inwardly digest all this technology at leisure).

Keith

l e o

Keith Foster wrote:
> I've just bought one (in UK) and would like to know of any source of good
> alternative cartridges and are they (either the original Canon or
> compatibles) successfully refillable?
>
> I'm also having to get to grips with printer profiles and would welcome some
> thoughts and any appropriate links (at my age, I need to sit down with a
> drink and inwardly digest all this technology at leisure).
>
> Keith

You seem to be making a contradicting request. First you want a printer
color profile and then you want to go cheap with third party ink. The
profile are tied to the ink/paper combination. If you don't use OEM ink,
you have to make your own profile.

SecretSquiddle

"Keith Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dspvlg$u0k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just bought one (in UK) and would like to know of any source of good
> alternative cartridges and are they (either the original Canon or
> compatibles) successfully refillable?
>
> I'm also having to get to grips with printer profiles and would welcome
> some thoughts and any appropriate links (at my age, I need to sit down
> with a drink and inwardly digest all this technology at leisure).
>
> Keith

http://www.calibrecomputing.co.uk/

You can get cheap compatibles for 2.35 colour ones, or 2.65 Black. Free
P&P too!

I have used this company for the last 4 years without any problems. If you
order on a Monday - they usually arrive by the end of the week.

**SS**

Keith Foster

"SecretSquiddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43f0a1a8$0$23280$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Keith Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dspvlg$u0k$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've just bought one (in UK) and would like to know of any source of good
>> alternative cartridges and are they (either the original Canon or
>> compatibles) successfully refillable?
>>
>> I'm also having to get to grips with printer profiles and would welcome
>> some thoughts and any appropriate links (at my age, I need to sit down
>> with a drink and inwardly digest all this technology at leisure).
>>
>> Keith

> http://www.calibrecomputing.co.uk/
>
> You can get cheap compatibles for 2.35 colour ones, or 2.65 Black. Free
> P&P too!
>
> I have used this company for the last 4 years without any problems. If you
> order on a Monday - they usually arrive by the end of the week.
>
> **SS**

Thanks for the site, but I can only see the iP 5000, no iP 5200. The
supplier (John Lewis) reckons they both use the same cartridges but the
Canon UK site states CLI 8 BK, Y, M, C & PGI 5 BK for the 5200 & 6 & 3 for
the 5000. Are they interchangeable? They look remarkably similar If the
5200 carts are significantly more expensive and the 5000 carts are
compatible then I'd use them. I'm not into printing photos - only bought
the 5200 'cos the 16 year old DeskJet Plus won't auto feed and its carts
are now very rare...and duplex printing & colour seemed a good way to go.

ecm

Keith Foster wrote:
> "SecretSquiddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43f0a1a8$0$23280$(E-Mail Removed)...

SNIP
> > http://www.calibrecomputing.co.uk/
> >
> > You can get cheap compatibles for 2.35 colour ones, or 2.65 Black.. Free
> > P&P too!
> >
> > I have used this company for the last 4 years without any problems. If you
> > order on a Monday - they usually arrive by the end of the week.

> Thanks for the site, but I can only see the iP 5000, no iP 5200. The
> supplier (John Lewis) reckons they both use the same cartridges but the
> Canon UK site states CLI 8 BK, Y, M, C & PGI 5 BK for the 5200 & 6 & 3 for
> the 5000. Are they interchangeable? They look remarkably similar If the
> 5200 carts are significantly more expensive and the 5000 carts are
> compatible then I'd use them. I'm not into printing photos - only bought
> the 5200 'cos the 16 year old DeskJet Plus won't auto feed and its carts
> are now very rare...and duplex printing & colour seemed a good way to go.

The iP4200, iP5200, iP6600 and MP500 use the proprietary CLI-8 and
CLI-5 cartridges; AFAIK there are no 3rd party replacement carts
available. There's a place on this side of the pond (USA) that has said
they'll have something this summer, but we'll see - apparently Canon
has managed to patent something in the carts that may prevent _legal_
knock-off carts. The carts are "chipped" (like Epson's) which means
they monitor if they're being refilled, and will invalidate your
warranty if they detect too many prints from a cartridge - whether or
not this is legal, ethical, or good business practice, whatever. So
far, no-one is offering a chip resetter like they for Epson's carts
either.

There is a way to turn off the ink level monitor so that you can refill
your cartridges without getting the "invalidate your warranty" message,
but I really don't know how - I'd love to hear if anyone can tell us.
You lose the ink monitor by doing this; you don't know whether you're
going to run out of ink in the middle of a print - you just keep
topping up the tanks I guess. This place is offering replacement ink
that's supposed to be compatible with CLI-8 cartridges:
http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/u-...rs_4833018.htm
but I have no idea whether they'll ship to your location. If you're
adding ink to used carts you'll have a mixture of the colors for a
while - could be difficult to get consistent results.

The profiling issue will depend on what you're using for ink and paper
- if you're using 3rd party ink it'll be different than Canon ink. If
you're not using the printer to produce images for sale, I'd recommend
that you forget about it - you really don't need it. For stuff like
diagrams on plain paper it won't make a bit of difference. As for
photos, I've been printing with Canon carts on Canon Matte (which I
really like - great for framing) and Ilford Classic Pearl (amazing
paper - what can I say?) without using profiles at all, and my colors
have been pretty much spot on, printing from PS CS1, Canon's little
utility (Easy Print or whatever), and Picasa. You should profile your
monitor, though, so you're seeing what you think you're seeing.

As always, YMMV. I'm sticking with Canon carts this year, at least
until the warranty runs out - I'm getting at least 100 8x10 prints
(give or take) from 4 cartridges(~U.S.$60), so $0.60 per page +
$0.40-0.80 for the paper = ~$1-$1.50 each - not at all bad, quite
acceptable to me; especially seeing as I'm getting such great results.
I was paying $3-5 to get the same thing on Fuji Crystal Archive at the
local store - and the colors _never_ matched, no matter what I did.

Good Luck!
ECM

Keith Foster

"ecm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

Keith Foster wrote:
> [...]

really like - great for framing) and Ilford Classic Pearl (amazing
paper - what can I say?) without using profiles at all, and my colors
have been pretty much spot on, printing from PS CS1, Canon's little
utility (Easy Print or whatever), and Picasa. You should profile your
monitor, though, so you're seeing what you think you're seeing.

As always, YMMV. I'm sticking with Canon carts this year, at least
until the warranty runs out - I'm getting at least 100 8x10 prints
(give or take) from 4 cartridges(~U.S.$60), so $0.60 per page +
$0.40-0.80 for the paper = ~$1-$1.50 each - not at all bad, quite
acceptable to me; especially seeing as I'm getting such great results.
I was paying $3-5 to get the same thing on Fuji Crystal Archive at the
local store - and the colors _never_ matched, no matter what I did.

Thanks, I thought Canon didn't use chips - so that's why I couldn't find a
5000!

I'm now off to Google for profile a monitor, and printer profiles?

l e o

Keith Foster wrote:
> [...]

> utility (Easy Print or whatever), and Picasa. You should profile your
> monitor, though, so you're seeing what you think you're seeing.
>
> As always, YMMV. I'm sticking with Canon carts this year, at least
> until the warranty runs out - I'm getting at least 100 8x10 prints
> (give or take) from 4 cartridges(~U.S.$60), so $0.60 per page +
> $0.40-0.80 for the paper = ~$1-$1.50 each - not at all bad, quite
> acceptable to me; especially seeing as I'm getting such great results.
> I was paying $3-5 to get the same thing on Fuji Crystal Archive at the
> local store - and the colors _never_ matched, no matter what I did.
>
> Good Luck!
> ECM
>
> Thanks, I thought Canon didn't use chips - so that's why I couldn't find a
> 5000!
>
> I'm now off to Google for profile a monitor, and printer profiles?

Use Adobe Gamma for simple monitor adjustment. If you want to get a
hardware tool, try ColorVision Spyder2. As I said before about printer
profiling, it's kinda silly to profile when you don't use the original
ink and paper ... ... unless you can find an ink supply that can
guarantee you that they don't change the formula.