Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Battery charger

Battery charger

Steve

I'm looking for a lightweight AA NiMHbattery charger with built-in
plug, that will also drain and refresh the batteries. Any
recommendations? The only ones I've seen with the refresh function
have a separate plug adapter. I currently have the Sony Super Quick
Charger model BCG-34HE4, but it doesn't refresh.

--

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

....George Bernard Shaw

ASAAR

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:44:53 -0800, Steve wrote:

> I'm looking for a lightweight AA NiMHbattery charger with built-in
> plug, that will also drain and refresh the batteries. Any
> recommendations? The only ones I've seen with the refresh function
> have a separate plug adapter. I currently have the Sony Super Quick
> Charger model BCG-34HE4, but it doesn't refresh.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "separate plug adapter". Sony's
BCG-34HRMD has a "REFRESH" button but doesn't use a buil-in AC plug.
It uses a simple power cord to get it's AC, and doesn't use a wall
wart, if that's what you meant. While it's small, Radio Shack sells
a much smaller smart charger, but it doesn't have a refresh
function. It has an advantage over every other smart charger I've
used in that most of them eventually decide that some NiMH cells are
"defective" and will refuse to charge them, whereas the RS charger
(which also is able to detect bad batteries) will in almost all
cases charge these "defective" batteries successfully.

If you already have ANY charger that will refresh batteries and
wanted a portable version (light weight), it's not really necessary
to have the refresh capability, since it's typically only used once
or twice yearly. The Sony BCG-34HRMD was bought a little over a
year ago so I can't guarantee that it's still available. It uses a
graphic LCD display to show each cell's charge & discharge status,
and there was a similar, slightly cheaper model that used LEDs
instead.

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm looking for a lightweight AA NiMHbattery charger with built-in
> plug, that will also drain and refresh the batteries. Any
> recommendations? The only ones I've seen with the refresh function
> have a separate plug adapter. I currently have the Sony Super Quick
> Charger model BCG-34HE4, but it doesn't refresh.

Ansmann Powerline 4 and the Powerline 6. The 4 plugs directly into any
110 to 240V 50/60 Hz wall outlet. The 6 uses a shaver type cord to plug
into any 110 to 240V wall outlet. Both have a discharge button.

The Ansmann Energy 8 and Energy 16 have auto refresh built in and plug
into any 110 to 240V plug.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Miles

Steve wrote:

> I'm looking for a lightweight AA NiMHbattery charger with built-in
> plug, that will also drain and refresh the batteries. Any
> recommendations? The only ones I've seen with the refresh function
> have a separate plug adapter. I currently have the Sony Super Quick
> Charger model BCG-34HE4, but it doesn't refresh.

Take a look at the website and see if this one meets your needs. The
following is quoted from a posting on another NG:

Two months ago I was set on purchasing a Canon digital 610 or 620, but
found it too large for my pockets (due to the 4 AA batts, which do make a
nice area to grip). Instead purchased an S-70 which is smaller and has
raw, which the 610, 620 or S80 do not.

However, I had purchased a real nice charger, La Crosse BC900, for the
610/620 which cannot be used with the S70.

http://lacrossetechnology.com/

If you are interested it is brand new with the box, never used except to
charge the batteries once. It includes all that came with it, manual, the
carrying case, electric wire, and 8 batteries, plus 4x2500 mAh and 4x2300
mAh batts, if interested $60 will take it.

Miles

SMS

Steve wrote:
> I'm looking for a lightweight AA NiMHbattery charger with built-in
> plug, that will also drain and refresh the batteries. Any
> recommendations? The only ones I've seen with the refresh function
> have a separate plug adapter. I currently have the Sony Super Quick
> Charger model BCG-34HE4, but it doesn't refresh.

Lightning Pack 4000N

See "http://www.ripvan100.com/products_recharger.htm"

I generally don't recommend chargers that must charge the batteries in
pairs, but for what you're looking for there aren't many choices. The
refresh feature is a great feature, but the direct-plug in chargers are
usually the less expensive type of chargers where they try to save money.

There's a review of it at "http://steves-digicams.com/lightning4000.html"

A pretty good deal at $25.

There is also the Ansmann Powerline 4, but it's pretty expensive, and a
lot slower.

Steve
"http://nordicgroup.us/chargers/"