Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RAW to TIFF

RAW to TIFF

MikeM

Is there any diffrence between TIFF files produced in-camera
(Olympus C-7070) and RAW to TIFF conversion by PSE4?

Thanks
Mike

photo-factory_cz

I donīt know PSE4... but RAW is much better them TIFF.
I am sure that important question is if you have RAW file.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

rafe b

"MikeM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is there any diffrence between TIFF files produced in-camera
> (Olympus C-7070) and RAW to TIFF conversion by PSE4?

In the TIF file, you have already performed the basic
de-mosaicing of the Bayer sensor data, as well as some
other tonal manipulation, eg. sharpening or white-point
compensation, or conversion to a chosen color space.

In the RAW file, you defer all this until later.

So the RAW file has essentially "unlimited" potential
for conversion to TIF.

The only danger with RAW is that, some day in the
future, you may lose the application the converts the
RAW to TIF or JPG or what-have-you.

JPG and TIF are universal file formats, whereas
RAW is (so far) very specific to a model or brand
of cameras.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com