Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 81A filter and white balance

Reply
Thread Tools

81A filter and white balance

 
 
Marc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2006


I will be taking photos of my workmates in a room with florescent lighting
and plum, colored walls. I want to measure the white balance rather than
rely on the auto white balance. I also want to use an 81A filter to warm up
the skin tones.



It seems that I ought to measure and set the white balance without the 81A
filter and then put the filter on or the white balance measurement will
cancel out the effect of the filter.

Is that correct?



I will be using a Nikon 995 CoolPix camera.


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine

Marc


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2006

"Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dsfv2n$2kbh$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
> I will be taking photos of my workmates in a room with florescent lighting
> and plum, colored walls. I want to measure the white balance rather than
> rely on the auto white balance. I also want to use an 81A filter to warm
> up the skin tones.
>
>
>
> It seems that I ought to measure and set the white balance without the 81A
> filter and then put the filter on or the white balance measurement will
> cancel out the effect of the filter.
>
> Is that correct?
>
>
>
> I will be using a Nikon 995 CoolPix camera.
>
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine
>
> Marc
>
>

Yes, measure the white balance without the filter.
Jim


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
tomm42
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2006
Check the fluorescent balance first, generally works well. The 81A may
not be necessary.
81As are more of a shade filter than a fluorescent filter. But test
your hunch, it may work well.

Tom

 
Reply With Quote
 
Joseph Meehan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2006
Marc wrote:
> I will be taking photos of my workmates in a room with florescent
> lighting and plum, colored walls. I want to measure the white
> balance rather than rely on the auto white balance. I also want to
> use an 81A filter to warm up the skin tones.
>
>
>
> It seems that I ought to measure and set the white balance without
> the 81A filter and then put the filter on or the white balance
> measurement will cancel out the effect of the filter.
>
> Is that correct?
>
>
>
> I will be using a Nikon 995 CoolPix camera.


I would take the balance off a white card and forget the filter. If you
want to warm the skin tones I would do that in post process or (if your
camera has it) set up a warmer configuration to use when you want warmer
skin tones. You also could get a slightly cooler white card.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit


 
Reply With Quote
 
George Kerby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-09-2006
More than anything else, the "Raccoon Eyes" produced by using overhead flu
bulbs as the only light source, is annoying. You might want to drop by the
local photo store, or theatrical supply to pick up some daylight or cool
white to 5500k (depending upon what is in the office fixtures) balanced gel
material to place over an on camera flash to get rid of this hollow eye
effect.

On 2/9/06 11:44 AM, in article dsfv2n$2kbh$(E-Mail Removed), "Marc"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
> I will be taking photos of my workmates in a room with florescent lighting
> and plum, colored walls. I want to measure the white balance rather than
> rely on the auto white balance. I also want to use an 81A filter to warm up
> the skin tones.
>
>
>
> It seems that I ought to measure and set the white balance without the 81A
> filter and then put the filter on or the white balance measurement will
> cancel out the effect of the filter.
>
> Is that correct?
>
>
>
> I will be using a Nikon 995 CoolPix camera.
>



__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2006
tomm42 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Check the fluorescent balance first, generally works well. The 81A may
> not be necessary.
> 81As are more of a shade filter than a fluorescent filter. But test
> your hunch, it may work well.
>


I think of 81a as a warming filter. Excellent for overcast and/or rainy
days when the color temperature is low. I am not so sure about using
the 81a as a florescent filter, and I would just let the camera do its
thing. In fact, I find warming filters, like the 81a to really only be
useful for film photography, but, that is just me.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Funk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2006
On 10 Feb 2006 16:09:35 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>tomm42 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Check the fluorescent balance first, generally works well. The 81A may
>> not be necessary.
>> 81As are more of a shade filter than a fluorescent filter. But test
>> your hunch, it may work well.
>>

>
>I think of 81a as a warming filter. Excellent for overcast and/or rainy
>days when the color temperature is low. I am not so sure about using
>the 81a as a florescent filter, and I would just let the camera do its
>thing. In fact, I find warming filters, like the 81a to really only be
>useful for film photography, but, that is just me.


Hmmm... I must have this backwards.
If the 81a is a filter that *warms* the subject, then you'd use it
whan the color temp is too high, right?
Then it follows that a need to use an 81a during rainy or overcast
days means the color temp must be too *high* then, right? Less of it,
but of higher color temp?
No?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joseph Meehan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2006
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> I think of 81a as a warming filter. Excellent for overcast and/or
> rainy days when the color temperature is low. I am not so sure about
> using the 81a as a florescent filter


I don't believe that was the OP's original intention. I believe he
wanted to white balance the fluorescent then use the filter on the result to
warm the result up.

I should also add that I am not the Joseph Meehan who wrote the
Photographers Guide to Using Filters.


> , and I would just let the camera
> do its thing. In fact, I find warming filters, like the 81a to
> really only be useful for film photography, but, that is just me.


--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit


 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-10-2006
Joseph Meehan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> I don't believe that was the OP's original intention. I believe he
> wanted to white balance the fluorescent then use the filter on the result to
> warm the result up.
>


Then in my mind, as I indicated, I don't believe the 81a should be used
at all, leaving the entire process to white balance.

> I should also add that I am not the Joseph Meehan who wrote the
> Photographers Guide to Using Filters.
>


Interesting ...

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Balance Coaching: Balance Work And Life Like A Pro 88059355 Digital Photography 1 01-06-2008 07:32 PM
Custom White Balance: Gray Card or White Card? Steve Cutchen Digital Photography 31 10-28-2005 09:13 PM
Affects of a PL filter on white balance and white balance (D100) jeff liss Digital Photography 1 09-05-2003 02:07 PM
Re: 10D White Balance and color temperature Bill Hilton Digital Photography 0 07-30-2003 02:51 PM
10D White Balance and color temperature Mark C Digital Photography 3 07-28-2003 06:10 PM



Advertisments