Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How does TITLE get assigned?

How does TITLE get assigned?

Terry Pinnell

In an XP folder containing JPG images, if I hover the mouse cursor
over most thumbnails I get a box displaying Dimensions, Type, Size.

But on a few of them, I get an additional line, 'Title'. Here's an
example:
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/Title1.jpg

That's unfamiliar to me. It seems to be the entry in
Properties>Summary>Title. But what rules apply here? Why does that get
assigned for some files and not for others?

FWIW, I created that file by opening an existing JPG in IrfanView and
adding a few text captions.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Joseph Meehan

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> In an XP folder containing JPG images, if I hover the mouse cursor
> over most thumbnails I get a box displaying Dimensions, Type, Size.
>
> But on a few of them, I get an additional line, 'Title'. Here's an
> example:
> http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/Title1.jpg
>
> That's unfamiliar to me. It seems to be the entry in
> Properties>Summary>Title. But what rules apply here? Why does that get
> assigned for some files and not for others?
>
> FWIW, I created that file by opening an existing JPG in IrfanView and
> adding a few text captions.

It depends on the device/software creating the file.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit