Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Machine Prints Versus Home Prints

Machine Prints Versus Home Prints

Tom2000

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:39:37 GMT, "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've used Shutterfly, WinkFlash, YorkPhoto, ClubPhoto, Walmart(on line) and
>maybe others.
>I can see very little difference between any of them, so use WinkFlash, good
>pricing and they print file number on back.

That's good news, Dave, since I just submitted my first order to
Winkflash about an hour ago! I read about them, I think, in the
dpreview.com Panasonic forum a few weeks ago. Someone mentioned that
he'd had good results with a poster-sized print.

The price seems right. 11 5x7's for about four bucks, shipped.

I was noodling around the net, looking for a good source of cheap
picture frames. I stumbled across an interesting outfit that offers a
huge selection of either complete frames and framing kits, parts, or a
turnkey service where you upload your digital image and they'll print,
frame, and assemble it for you. I haven't done any comparison
shopping but, right off the top of my head their prices seemed
reasonable.

The really neat part is that you can upload your image, then try
out various frame and matting combinations. Your own image, framed
and matted, is displayed in a preview pane. I had lots of fun trying
to match frame styles and matting to the next large image that I'll be
having printed.

http://www.pictureframes.com

Tom

secheese

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:00:01 +0000, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>No reason why this should be so. Operator error seems likely.

No kidding! The operators often know very little about their
machines. Result? $60,000 printer gives crap.

I had one operator actually try to convince me that I was holding a
matt finish print, when it was quite obviously high gloss.

Stacey

Morton Linder wrote:

> I am wondering if any on-line printing services are any better.

The only time I've see outside printing look better was with B&W images,
inkjets have a hard time doing them well. Otherwise, I print at home. My
inkjet prints a wider gamut than most "pro" labs printers can deal with and
the prints just look better.

--

Stacey

Stacey

Bill Tuthill wrote:

> Morton Linder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, the store prints cost me 29 each, while the home prints cost me
>> about 40 each. So to me, the cheaper prints were no bargain.

> You got taken! Exorbitant price and low quality (depleted chemicals?).
> Longs Drugs charges 21 cents a print, Costco Mall-Wart 12 cents IIRC.
> All use Fuji Frontiers that are virtually certain to do better.

Go compare the color gamut a fuji can print vs a good inkjet and get back
to us..
--

Stacey

Bill Tuthill

Stacey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Yes, the store prints cost me 29 each, while the home prints cost me
>>> about 40 each. So to me, the cheaper prints were no bargain.

>> You got taken! Exorbitant price and low quality (depleted chemicals?)..
>> Longs Drugs charges 21 cents a print, Costco Mall-Wart 12 cents IIRC.
>> All use Fuji Frontiers that are virtually certain to do better.

> Go compare the color gamut a fuji can print vs a good inkjet and get back
> to us...

What I notice about my Epson printer is mostly the fading of colors
within a year, especially if a picture is displayed in a room
with filtered sunlight (instead of fluorescent light, which seems
less destructive). Whereas Frontier prints do not fade in 2 years,
even if left on the dashboard of my car.

I know Epson makes pigment-dye printers, but I can't afford one,
much less the continuing ink costs.

I am fairly happy with Frontier color gamut. Green and cyans,
where sRGB loses gamut to AdobeRGB, look quite vibrant.

cathy.ryan@gmail.com

At camera/print shops, often there are 2 choices - print at the little
kiosk (which gives you crap) or have the file sent to the huge photo
processing machine in the back of the store, which gives great prints.
Where I went, at Ritz Photo, you sat at the same computer screen either
way, and I had to ask a sales person for help to get them sent to the
right place.