Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help with Kodak digital camera

Help with Kodak digital camera

Stormlady

Hi all,

I'm mostly a lurker here, but I have a question that I was hoping someone
could help me with. A friend of mine got a Kodak digital camera for
Christmas, I'm not sure the exact model, it's a 5mp point and shoot.

She took some pictures with it and it worked fine for a while, but then she
was using it and having laid it down for a few minutes, went to pick it up
to take more pictures and it would not work, it had turned itself off (as it
was set up to do after so many minutes of inactivity) So then she tried to
turn it back on and it would not turn on. Figuring the batteries had run
down, she opened the cover to take them out, and they were so hot that she
had to drop them or be burnt.

Since then, the camera will not work at all. The batteries were the Kodak
batteries that came with the camera, but she has tried several different
sets to try and get it working and it just will not turn on.

Does anyone know what could have happened? How should she go about fixing
it? She brought it back to the store and they told her that it was faulty
batteries and not their responsibility. (Even though the camera is not yet
2 months old and the batteries came with the camera?) This store is
notorious for poor customer service so she doesn't feel she should trust
their answer. She feels like they just don't want to deal with it. Could
it be faulty batteries? Since it's the batteries that came with the camera,
then shouldn't the store be responsible to fix/replace it?

Any help I can give her would be appreciated.

Sorry this is so long

Thanks
Heather

Dave

Dear Heather,

The batteries could be indeed faulty. If the camera dealer won't replace the
camera, I would send it to Kodak since it's under warranty. Be sure to let
everyone know not to buy anything from the camera dealer who wouldn't
replace your friend's camera.

Good luck,
Dave

"Stormlady" <don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qtwGf.26969$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm mostly a lurker here, but I have a question that I was hoping someone
> could help me with. A friend of mine got a Kodak digital camera for
> Christmas, I'm not sure the exact model, it's a 5mp point and shoot.
>
> She took some pictures with it and it worked fine for a while, but then
> she was using it and having laid it down for a few minutes, went to pick
> it up to take more pictures and it would not work, it had turned itself
> off (as it was set up to do after so many minutes of inactivity) So then
> she tried to turn it back on and it would not turn on. Figuring the
> batteries had run down, she opened the cover to take them out, and they
> were so hot that she had to drop them or be burnt.
>
> Since then, the camera will not work at all. The batteries were the Kodak
> batteries that came with the camera, but she has tried several different
> sets to try and get it working and it just will not turn on.
>
> Does anyone know what could have happened? How should she go about fixing
> it? She brought it back to the store and they told her that it was faulty
> batteries and not their responsibility. (Even though the camera is not
> yet 2 months old and the batteries came with the camera?) This store is
> notorious for poor customer service so she doesn't feel she should trust
> their answer. She feels like they just don't want to deal with it. Could
> it be faulty batteries? Since it's the batteries that came with the
> camera, then shouldn't the store be responsible to fix/replace it?
>
> Any help I can give her would be appreciated.
>
> Sorry this is so long
>
> Thanks
> Heather

newfysnapshot

I would contact Kodak and report the store as they are a retailer of their
products. Kodak would fix the problem if the camera is under warranty.
Contact them and see what they say.

news:A0xGf.28477$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Dear Heather,
>
> The batteries could be indeed faulty. If the camera dealer won't replace
> the camera, I would send it to Kodak since it's under warranty. Be sure to
> let everyone know not to buy anything from the camera dealer who wouldn't
> replace your friend's camera.
>
> Good luck,
> Dave
>
> "Stormlady" <don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qtwGf.26969$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm mostly a lurker here, but I have a question that I was hoping someone
>> could help me with. A friend of mine got a Kodak digital camera for
>> Christmas, I'm not sure the exact model, it's a 5mp point and shoot.
>>
>> She took some pictures with it and it worked fine for a while, but then
>> she was using it and having laid it down for a few minutes, went to pick
>> it up to take more pictures and it would not work, it had turned itself
>> off (as it was set up to do after so many minutes of inactivity) So then
>> she tried to turn it back on and it would not turn on. Figuring the
>> batteries had run down, she opened the cover to take them out, and they
>> were so hot that she had to drop them or be burnt.
>>
>> Since then, the camera will not work at all. The batteries were the
>> Kodak batteries that came with the camera, but she has tried several
>> different sets to try and get it working and it just will not turn on.
>>
>> Does anyone know what could have happened? How should she go about
>> fixing it? She brought it back to the store and they told her that it
>> was faulty batteries and not their responsibility. (Even though the
>> camera is not yet 2 months old and the batteries came with the camera?)
>> This store is notorious for poor customer service so she doesn't feel she
>> should trust their answer. She feels like they just don't want to deal
>> with it. Could it be faulty batteries? Since it's the batteries that
>> came with the camera, then shouldn't the store be responsible to
>> fix/replace it?
>>
>> Any help I can give her would be appreciated.
>>
>> Sorry this is so long
>>
>> Thanks
>> Heather

ASAAR

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:59:02 GMT, Stormlady wrote:

> She took some pictures with it and it worked fine for a while, but then she
> was using it and having laid it down for a few minutes, went to pick it up
> to take more pictures and it would not work, it had turned itself off (as it
> was set up to do after so many minutes of inactivity) So then she tried to
> turn it back on and it would not turn on. Figuring the batteries had run
> down, she opened the cover to take them out, and they were so hot that she
> had to drop them or be burnt.

I had a similar experience with a radio not long ago. While
holding it I noticed that it felt slightly warm so I tried removing
the batteries. One of them must have shorted internally because it
was also far too hot to touch. So hot that the case swelled enough
to split the plastic sheathing around it. The other batteries were
fine and the radio wasn't damaged. With a camera, due to limited
space, it's circuitry is probably much closer to, and much more
easily damaged by an excessively hot battery.

But you don't really know whether the problem was due to a
defective battery (I assume an AA cell) or a defective camera that
shorted out the batteries. Either way, I think you'll have a much
better chance of getting the problem resolved if you deal with Kodak
than with your local store having the poor reputation for customer
service. In any case, even highly reputable stores usually have
very short return periods (typically from 7 to 30 days), after which
they require you to deal with the manufacturer. In your friend's
case since the camera was "not yet 2 months old" she shouldn't
expect help from the store. That kind of service might be expected
from a much smaller local specialty store where good relationships
are built up over time, but larger stores, especially "chains" don't
work that way. BTW, there's no way for the store's personnel to
know that faulty batteries damaged the camera, even though there's a
good possibility that that was what happened. They probably told
her that to get rid of her because they had no authority to have the
camera exchanged or serviced, and would likely get on the wrong side
of the store's management if they tried pestering someone to do
something about the camera. That kind of "special treatment" is
reserved for celebrities and politicians, that probably hadn't paid
for the camera or whatever in the first place. Stick around for a
while. Ron B. often drops by to provide helpful suggestions to
people having questions or problems with Kodak products.

tnom@mucks.net

>Any help I can give her would be appreciated.

Were both batteries hot?

If so the camera is at fault. Two batteries won't short internally
simultaneously.The camera was drawing to much current and it
would be normal for the batteries to heat up.

miles

Stormlady wrote:
> Since it's the batteries that came with the camera,
> then shouldn't the store be responsible to fix/replace it?

Many reputable stores will exchange it but they don't have to. Msot
stores have a specific return policy, often 30 days or so. After that
the manufactures warranty applies. Have you contacted Kodak on this?

secheese

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:59:02 GMT, "Stormlady" <don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Camera is a dud! Replace it.

zabelsa01@yahoo.com

If your looking for a camera, check out www.mallsurf.com

zabelsa01@yahoo.com

If your looking for a camera, check out www.mallsurf.com

Ron Baird

Stormlady wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm mostly a lurker here, but I have a question that I was hoping someone
>could help me with. A friend of mine got a Kodak digital camera for
>Christmas, I'm not sure the exact model, it's a 5mp point and shoot.
>
>She took some pictures with it and it worked fine for a while, but then she
>was using it and having laid it down for a few minutes, went to pick it up
>to take more pictures and it would not work, it had turned itself off (as it
>was set up to do after so many minutes of inactivity) So then she tried to
>turn it back on and it would not turn on. Figuring the batteries had run
>down, she opened the cover to take them out, and they were so hot that she
>had to drop them or be burnt.
>
>Since then, the camera will not work at all. The batteries were the Kodak
>batteries that came with the camera, but she has tried several different
>sets to try and get it working and it just will not turn on.
>
>Does anyone know what could have happened? How should she go about fixing
>it? She brought it back to the store and they told her that it was faulty
>batteries and not their responsibility. (Even though the camera is not yet
>2 months old and the batteries came with the camera?) This store is
>notorious for poor customer service so she doesn't feel she should trust
>their answer. She feels like they just don't want to deal with it. Could
>it be faulty batteries? Since it's the batteries that came with the camera,
>then shouldn't the store be responsible to fix/replace it?
>
>Any help I can give her would be appreciated.
>
>Sorry this is so long
>
>Thanks
>Heather

Hi Stormlady,

Sorry to hear about your friends experience.

Please tell your friend that the experience is quite unusual and she
should call our online team to report it. They will bring the camera in
for service and have it made right. Batteries can heat up while they are
being charged, but not to the point of not being able to handle. Tell
her to call us at 800 235-6325. If she continues to have a problem, let
me know and I will help her directly. Please tell her to note all the
details handy when she calls.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company