Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Portable Digital Storage

Portable Digital Storage

Duram

Which is the best for digital photos? might include sound and videos
but I need the best support for pictures.

I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?

Any other similar options? what pro. photographers use?

Robert

"Duram" <danur@@ig.com.br> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is the best for digital photos? might include sound and videos
> but I need the best support for pictures.
>
> I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?
>
> Any other similar options? what pro. photographers use?

Duram,

I just bought an Epson "P2000," a portable drive, 40 GB, that has a small
screen 3" x 2" where one can view photos on a screen screen.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0410/04...pson_p2000.asp

Quote for the above web page:

"The key features of the Epson P-2000 include a 3.8 inch VGA (640x480) high
definition Photo Fine display that offers a resolution of 212 pixels per
inch (ppi). You can store and view your photo albums, create slide shows and
connect to your photo printer, computer or TV. The Epson P-2000 is
approximately twice as fast as its predecessor when viewing photos and has a
battery life of up to three hours."

They have a "P4000" also that is the same but a larger disk. Have never used
the "P2000" or the "P4000" on a trip as trip as yet, but this one is much
better than the old Digital Wallet I own. The "Digital Wallet" has a very
small screen but shows only listings of the photos taken. I been carrying
around a small laptop for storage while on a trip. The URL below has some of
my photos shown by clicking on highlighted text.

http://www2.hagenhosting.com/~nabors...se/Cruise.html

I'm not a pro. More of my travel reports with photos at:

http://www2.hagenhosting.com/~naborswe/naborsindex/

Bob

Malcolm

> I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?

Have a look at the iPod Photo, too. (I don't own one, so can't comment on
it.)

Malcolm

Jon B

Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?

> Have a look at the iPod Photo, too. (I don't own one, so can't comment on
> it.)

I think any of the iPods with a dock connector, support the belkin media
reader, the photo models then add functionality for the Apple photo
connector doobery who's name escapes me, but that allows you to connect
your camera direct to the iPod.

However, I don't think any of these allow immediate playback on the
iPod, you have to then hook up to your pac/mac later to drop the images
onto your machine. I think then iPhoto syncs up the thumbnails and that
is what the iPhoto allows you to see.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.

Hunt

In article <1hahrvv.appzbf1p2ga4kN%(E-Mail Removed) >, black.

>Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?

>> Have a look at the iPod Photo, too. (I don't own one, so can't comment on
>> it.)
>>

>I think any of the iPods with a dock connector, support the belkin media
>reader, the photo models then add functionality for the Apple photo
>connector doobery who's name escapes me, but that allows you to connect
>your camera direct to the iPod.
>
>However, I don't think any of these allow immediate playback on the
>iPod, you have to then hook up to your pac/mac later to drop the images
>onto your machine. I think then iPhoto syncs up the thumbnails and that
>is what the iPhoto allows you to see.
>--
>Jon B
>Above email address IS valid.
><http://www.bramley-computers.co.uk/> Apple Laptop Repairs.

Unless I have missed something, concerning the 5G iPod, the biggest drawback
is having to go through the iTunes software for manipulating/moving/etc. the
images. With other products, like the aforementioned Epsons, it is a more
direct process, bi-directionally. Again, maybe I've missed something. Putting
images on wife's 5G involved far more activity, than color/density correcting
a 4GB CF card full of RAW images in Photoshop! It worked, but there were far
too many steps involved.

Hunt

Bill Hilton

>Duram writes ...
>
> Which is the best for digital photos?

Just returned from a lengthy trip to Africa with two full-time pros and
several other advanced amateurs, people were using different devices so
there's no single answer but the Epson P-4000 and P-2000 were the most
popular ... wife and I shot about 120 GB of images, downloaded to a
laptop and culled quickly, then stored copies on two storage devices,
which worked well ... we had an Epson P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB
Wolverine ... the Wooly is smaller (I carried mine in my vest pocket so
I always had a backup of the files), has more capacity and cost about
half as much as the Epson but is about 20% slower and has no preview
screen (some other models do). The Epson has a pretty nice preview
screen, not a laptop but nice ... we rarely used it for previews, just
backup storage, but if we had dropped the laptop and busted the display
or had it stolen we still had a way to look at images, which is an
important safety net on a long trip.

I think if I could only keep one it would be the Epson ...

> might include sound and videos

The Epson is good at this, that's what I'd recommend you get.

> I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?

Dunno ... check the card download speed (how long it takes to download
1 GB) and see if you can find a comparison of the screen to the Epson,
which has a nice screen.

Bill

Mr.Bolshoyhuy

"there's no single answer but the Epson P-4000 and P-2000 were the most

popular ... wife and I shot about 120 GB of images,"

I am confused as to the point of taking 120gb of anything; except
if you work for National Geographic.
Also, what if your equipment is lost or stolen?
Better idea is to burn to DVDs and mail them back home.

rafe b

On 9 Feb 2006 08:47:52 -0800, "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>Duram writes ...
>>
>> Which is the best for digital photos?

>Just returned from a lengthy trip to Africa with two full-time pros and
>several other advanced amateurs, people were using different devices so
>there's no single answer but the Epson P-4000 and P-2000 were the most
>popular ... wife and I shot about 120 GB of images, downloaded to a
>laptop and culled quickly, then stored copies on two storage devices,
>which worked well ... we had an Epson P-4000 (80 GB) and a 100 GB
>Wolverine ... the Wooly is smaller (I carried mine in my vest pocket so
>I always had a backup of the files), has more capacity and cost about
>half as much as the Epson but is about 20% slower and has no preview
>screen (some other models do). The Epson has a pretty nice preview
>screen, not a laptop but nice ... we rarely used it for previews, just
>backup storage, but if we had dropped the laptop and busted the display
>or had it stolen we still had a way to look at images, which is an
>important safety net on a long trip.

Bill, I've been looking at the two Epsons,
but my concern is support for RAW image format.

What good is the thing if Epson can't clearly
state their support for the most common and
popular cameras using RAW?

I already have an "ImageTank" (20Gig) which
can back up my flash cards. So if I bought
one of these newer dohickeys, it would be
for the image viewing and file-manipulation
capabilities.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Lucas

"Duram" <danur@@ig.com.br> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is the best for digital photos? might include sound and videos
> but I need the best support for pictures.
>
> I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?
>
> Any other similar options? what pro. photographers use?

As I understand it, the Epsons have by far the more superior screen. On the
other hand, the Giga Vu Pro is the ONLY device that supports viewing of the
real RAW-image, not the embedded JPG-file (of some brands, including Nikon
and Canon). Both Epson and Giga Vu Pro are quite expensive, so much, that I
opt for my notebook at any time...

Lucas

Bill Hilton

>rafe b writes ...
>
>Bill, I've been looking at the two Epsons,
>but my concern is support for RAW image format.
>
>What good is the thing if Epson can't clearly
>state their support for the most common and
>popular cameras using RAW?

We shoot RAW and for the Canon 10D and 1D Mark II bodies the Epson
P-4000 shows the embedded jpeg files fine, though you can't zoom in. I
think this is the case for *almost* all "the most common and popular
cameras using RAW". With the 1Ds it won't display anything though if
we shoot just RAW, maybe this is what you are talking about?

The way around these issues is to shoot RAW + JPEG and you can view the
jpegs for all of the bodies we have, including zooming in at 100%.

Bill