Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Portable Digital Storage

Portable Digital Storage

Robert Brace

"Lucas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43eb8eb9$0$18219$(E-Mail Removed)4a ll.nl...

> "Duram" <danur@@ig.com.br> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Which is the best for digital photos? might include sound and videos
>> but I need the best support for pictures.
>>
>> I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?
>>
>> Any other similar options? what pro. photographers use?
>>

> As I understand it, the Epsons have by far the more superior screen. On
> the
> other hand, the Giga Vu Pro is the ONLY device that supports viewing of
> the
> real RAW-image, not the embedded JPG-file (of some brands, including Nikon
> and Canon). Both Epson and Giga Vu Pro are quite expensive, so much, that
> opt for my notebook at any time...
>
> Lucas

I hesitate to ask, but has anyone used the Nikon Coolwalker. If so, how is
its handling of NEF files?
Bob

Robert Haar

On 2006/2/9 11:24 AM, "Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1hahrvv.appzbf1p2ga4kN%(E-Mail Removed) >, black.
>>
>> Malcolm <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> Have a look at the iPod Photo, too. (I don't own one, so can't comment on
>>> it.)

The iPod Photo is no longer sold retail although you can find them used on
eBay, etc. The new 5G models, called iPod with video work the same.

>> I think any of the iPods with a dock connector, support the belkin media
>> reader, the photo models then add functionality for the Apple photo
>> connector doobery who's name escapes me, but that allows you to connect
>> your camera direct to the iPod.

Only the iPod photo and the 5G models can actually display the images.

>> However, I don't think any of these allow immediate playback on the
>> iPod, you have to then hook up to your pac/mac later to drop the images
>> onto your machine. I think then iPhoto syncs up the thumbnails and that
>> is what the iPhoto allows you to see.

You can view the photos immediately on the iPod, but the display is pretty
small.

Check the compatibility charts but JPEG format in many cameras are supported
directly without going through a computer for conversion.

> Unless I have missed something, concerning the 5G iPod, the biggest drawback
> is having to go through the iTunes software for manipulating/moving/etc. the
> images.

You can view the images directly on the iPod, but the only manipulation
possible there is to delete the image.

iTunes is used as the syncing mechanism but that happens automatically.
Photos on the iPod get loaded into the photo library under iPhoto and vice
versa. You can automatically sync your entire image library to the iPod,
limited by storage capacity. If you edit a file on the computer or if you
load an image through another mechanism ( camera connection or card reader)
it also gets copied to the iPod. This gives you a portable image library.

I have about 6000 images in iPhoto that are also synced to my 60G iPod.

>With other products, like the aforementioned Epsons, it is a more
> direct process, bi-directionally. Again, maybe I've missed something. Putting
> images on wife's 5G involved far more activity, than color/density correcting
> a 4GB CF card full of RAW images in Photoshop! It worked, but there were far
> too many steps involved.

I don't understand why you have to do all this with the iPod. You might want
to tweak the images but it isn't necessary. I am guessing that you are on a
Windows PC. In that case, you need Adobe Album as the photo library software
if you want to automatically sync.

Toby

Perhaps unsuitable if you need a viewer/player, but:

If you are in the US try Fry's Electronics. I bought a 2.5" HDD case that
has a built in card reader and rechargeable battery for about 50 USD, plus
another 80 USD or so for a 40 GB drive, which mounts inside. It has an LCD
readout screen and a button to dump files from a card--just insert the card
and hit copy. You can then hook it up to your PC via USB to access the
files, at which time it acts just like any portable HDD--it appears as a
drive letter and you can write and read to and from it.

No way to view your pix, but for simple storage when you need to clear your
card in the field it is optimal--small, light and cheap.

Toby

"Duram" <danur@@ig.com.br> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is the best for digital photos? might include sound and videos
> but I need the best support for pictures.
>
> I heard about GIGA VU PRO, is it good?
>
> Any other similar options? what pro. photographers use?

Toby

"Mr.Bolshoyhuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> "there's no single answer but the Epson P-4000 and P-2000 were the most
>
> popular ... wife and I shot about 120 GB of images,"
>
> I am confused as to the point of taking 120gb of anything; except
> if you work for National Geographic.
> Also, what if your equipment is lost or stolen?
> Better idea is to burn to DVDs and mail them back home.

If you are shooting RAW files on a 12MPx camera you are going to need about
20 Mb per file. 50 images becomes 1Gb, 6000 eat up the full 120 Gb
mentioned. If you aren't paying materials costs for each frame (film,
chemicals) then it is easy to fire off 6000 frames, especially--I
imagine--in Africa. As long as you have the storage space, might as well
bring all but the really bad frames home with you. Of curse DVD backups is
not a bad idea either.

Toby

Richard

Can you let me know the make and model of this case, or a URL please?

I've tried the Fry's web site but failed to find it.

TIA.

Richard.