Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Orientation EXIF tag value

Orientation EXIF tag value

Jerry West

I noticed the EXIF tag for Orientation using a graphics program. All of my
pics, taken with an Oly 3030Z, always indicate a Landscape orientation. Is
the camera supposed to know what orientation I'm holding it in which to
apply the proper value to the EXIF tag?

Thanks,

JW

Michael Meissner

"Jerry West" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I noticed the EXIF tag for Orientation using a graphics program. All of my
> pics, taken with an Oly 3030Z, always indicate a Landscape orientation. Is
> the camera supposed to know what orientation I'm holding it in which to
> apply the proper value to the EXIF tag?

Newer cameras have orientation sensors (for example, the E-300 and newer E-*
cameras have an orientation sensor, I don't know about the newer prosumer
cameras). On older Olympus cameras, such my C-2100UZ and my E-1, if you go
into review mode, there is an option to rotate the picture. This option will
set the Orientation field. I use this before uploading the pictures, because
my upload software looks at the Orientation field.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Jerry West

Thanks for the info. I have an older Oly 3030Z. It doesn't update the field
and I've never noticed a function to rotate the image...I'll have to poke
around more. I've searched many pics on the Internet and have yet to find
one that has the field properly set. Perhaps, as you say, only the newer
cameras do this at time of digitizing the pic.

Again, thanks for the info.

JW

"Michael Meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...
> "Jerry West" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I noticed the EXIF tag for Orientation using a graphics program. All of
>> my
>> pics, taken with an Oly 3030Z, always indicate a Landscape orientation.
>> Is
>> the camera supposed to know what orientation I'm holding it in which to
>> apply the proper value to the EXIF tag?

> Newer cameras have orientation sensors (for example, the E-300 and newer
> E-*
> cameras have an orientation sensor, I don't know about the newer prosumer
> cameras). On older Olympus cameras, such my C-2100UZ and my E-1, if you
> go
> into review mode, there is an option to rotate the picture. This option
> will
> set the Orientation field. I use this before uploading the pictures,
> because
> my upload software looks at the Orientation field.
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.the-meissners.org

ourdoings@ourdoings.com

Canon Powershots have been setting the orientation field for years.
Most online camera review sites will tell you which models have
orientation sensors. You don't usually see the orientation EXIF field
set on the web because web browsers don't generally honor it. Software
for uploading pictures to web sites will often rotate based on the EXIF
field, then adjust the field or strip it.