Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Insane price of Pentax 85mm1.4

Insane price of Pentax 85mm1.4

BMW Rider

"dtong22" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Can somebody explain to me? This is around 5 pm EST Saturday . And I
> was looking at the ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4. It is now over
> $1,000 and still one hour to go which means that the sales probably may
> end up over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal. Yet B&H price is just $800
> on back order though.

I always wonder when I see a "bait" like this. I can't find any Pentax 85mm
lenses selling (or sold under completed listings) for anything over a few
hundred.

Bill Funk

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 23:11:03 +0000 (UTC), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Geoffrey
S. Mendelson) wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:
>> Didn't the fact that the device *in* the box didn't match the
>> description *on* the box mean anything?
>> I mean, if the box was for a BelchFire 32X burner, and the device in
>> the box was a SlowLane 2X burner, doesn't that mean anything?

>They were both Compaq CD-ROM drives. He also said that it,
>and another used part in the box could not have been used because
>they were not covered in dust.
>
>He obviously never saw a computer room.
>
>Geoff.

Couldn't he read other than the biggest print?
Like I said, the box and the device differed. He couldn't see that?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Patco

"BMW Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "dtong22" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Can somebody explain to me? This is around 5 pm EST Saturday . And I
>> was looking at the ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4. It is now over
>> $1,000 and still one hour to go which means that the sales probably may
>> end up over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal. Yet B&H price is just $800
>> on back order though.

> I always wonder when I see a "bait" like this. I can't find any Pentax
> 85mm lenses selling (or sold under completed listings) for anything over
> a few hundred.

Pentax 85 1.4 - still 5 days & 19 hours to go, already $609:
Item number: 7588230208
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...arch%26fvi%3D1

Paul Mitchum

dtong22 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can somebody explain to me? This is around 5 pm EST Saturday . And I
> was looking at the ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4. It is now over
> $1,000 and still one hour to go which means that the sales probably may
> end up over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal.

It's not just FA, it's the FA* (green star), denoting Pentax' old
premium line.

The star makes the Pentaxians go nuts. The strategy (if you can call it
that) seems to be to buy one whenever it's offered, even if you don't
think you need it, because you won't have another chance.

> Yet B&H price is just $800
> on back order though. Big deal that it is on back order and you have to
> wait.

It's on back-order because they aren't being made any more. You'd have
to wait until someone sold B&H a used one.

> Also 77mm limited 1.8 is $700 available right now brand new.
> Just not real with that much of a premium ? It is just insane The
> price of lens have really gone up lately.

The 'limiteds' are the premium line. They replaced the * line. Whether
they're worth it is another story. They're well reviewed. Poke around
this web site to find some opinion: <http://stans-photography.info/>

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Bill Funk wrote:
> Couldn't he read other than the biggest print?
> Like I said, the box and the device differed. He couldn't see that?

He only COULD see it if HE wanted to.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel (E-Mail Removed) N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

RustYŠ

"dtong22" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Can somebody explain to me? ......ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4.....
>over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal.
>Yet B&H price is just $800

EU taxes tend do be higher than US on many goods. Certainly buying from
USA (or anywhere outside EU) attracts VAT [Value Added Tax] and import duty.
Often the B&H bargains are not really if you buy them mail order from the
EU. Having said that, ebay still attracts folks with more money than sense.

Floyd Davidson

"Patco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"BMW Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "dtong22" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Can somebody explain to me? This is around 5 pm EST Saturday . And I
>>> was looking at the ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4. It is now over
>>> $1,000 and still one hour to go which means that the sales probably may
>>> end up over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal. Yet B&H price is just $800
>>> on back order though.

>> I always wonder when I see a "bait" like this. I can't find any Pentax
>> 85mm lenses selling (or sold under completed listings) for anything over
>> a few hundred.
>>

>Pentax 85 1.4 - still 5 days & 19 hours to go, already $609:
>Item number: 7588230208
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...arch%26fvi%3D1

The same lense was listed as item #7582656649, which ended Jan 24 with
30 bids, going for a high bid of $1002. Apparently that sale did not
complete...

Another Pentax lense, an used FA 85mm f/1.4, sold for $1087 on Feb 5.
That was item #7586719674, and was located in Portugal. Interestingly,
questions were asked about shipping to China and Korea. The shipping
charge was listed as $32 outside of Europe.

I did find one listed at $769 at cambridgeworld.com.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) (E-Mail Removed)

Kennedy McEwen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bill Funk
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 23:11:03 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) (Geoffrey
>S. Mendelson) wrote:
>
>>Bill Funk wrote:
>>> Didn't the fact that the device *in* the box didn't match the
>>> description *on* the box mean anything?
>>> I mean, if the box was for a BelchFire 32X burner, and the device in
>>> the box was a SlowLane 2X burner, doesn't that mean anything?

>>They were both Compaq CD-ROM drives. He also said that it,
>>and another used part in the box could not have been used because
>>they were not covered in dust.
>>
>>He obviously never saw a computer room.
>>
>>Geoff.

>Couldn't he read other than the biggest print?
>Like I said, the box and the device differed. He couldn't see that?

You've never dealt with Customs folk, have you Bill.

Nevertheless, Geoff could just have told him where to put his alleged
$150 drive - it would have been worth $25 in satisfaction alone.
--
Kennedy

Peter Chant

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Bill Funk wrote:
>> Couldn't he read other than the biggest print?
>> Like I said, the box and the device differed. He couldn't see that?

> He only COULD see it if HE wanted to.

Any contact details, I've got loads of immaculate obsolete worthless kit to
sell him...

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

eyalnevo@gmail.com

right on. But we lots of it in this country too. Import tarrifs, sales
tax, customs and some might say capital gain tax