Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Insane price of Pentax 85mm1.4

Insane price of Pentax 85mm1.4

SMS

dtong22 wrote:
> Can somebody explain to me? This is around 5 pm EST Saturday . And I
> was looking at the ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4. It is now over
> $1,000 and still one hour to go which means that the sales probably may
> end up over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal. Yet B&H price is just $800
> on back order though. Big deal that it is on back order and you have to
> wait . Also 77mm limited 1.8 is $700 available right now brand new.
> Just not real with that much of a premium ? It is just insane The
> price of lens have really gone up lately.

Not just eBay. I was looking on craigslist.org for a lens, and the
seller was adamant about being firm on the price, which was higher than
the lens cost new. He sold it at the higher price. He was happy, I could
buy the new lens at Amazon for less, and the buyer of the used lens was
happy, though naive.

It's almost the rule, rather than the exception, that you pay more for
stuff on eBay than you pay elsewhere.

I've purchased stuff on eBay, but usually only when the item simply
isn't sold anywhere else. I needed a specific new plumbing fixture, and
I couldn't find it at any store, on-line or brick and mortar, but it was
on eBay.

Mike

Could have something to do with avoiding a customs charge for "new" items.

> Can somebody explain to me? This is around 5 pm EST Saturday . And I
> was looking at the ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4. It is now over
> $1,000 and still one hour to go which means that the sales probably may
> end up over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal. Yet B&H price is just $800
> on back order though. Big deal that it is on back order and you have to
> wait . Also 77mm limited 1.8 is $700 available right now brand new.
> Just not real with that much of a premium ? It is just insane The
> price of lens have really gone up lately.
>
> Daniel

Jim

"dtong22" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Can somebody explain to me? This is around 5 pm EST Saturday . And I
> was looking at the ebay bid of a Pentax FA85mm 1.4. It is now over
> $1,000 and still one hour to go which means that the sales probably may
> end up over 1,100 pl shipping from Portugal. Yet B&H price is just $800
> on back order though. Big deal that it is on back order and you have to
> wait . Also 77mm limited 1.8 is $700 available right now brand new.
> Just not real with that much of a premium ? It is just insane The
> price of lens have really gone up lately.
>
> Daniel

This kind of thing happens all the time.
Jim

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Mike wrote:
> Could have something to do with avoiding a customs charge for "new" items.

Possibly.

Israel and all of the E.U. countries calculate the taxes based upon the
price paid. If it is a used item they use a depreicated value.

If something is sold on eBay, the seller will declare the value of the
item. Here, if the customs people don't agree they will ask you to
show up at their office and open the package in front of you.

If you can prove that you paid $10 for a lens, they will let you go.
If you can't prove anything, they will look at the lens and come up with
a price. If it looks new, comes in a box, has caps, an instruction book
and a warranty card, they will charge you taxes based on the new price.

A friend of mine once bought me a used 2 speed CD-ROM drive I needed for
an old computer. He happened to have a box from a brand new one,
complete with foam packaging, so he sent me the old drive in the new
box and packaging

I could not convince the guy in customs that the drive in his hand was
worth the $29 declared for it and had to pay duty on $150 which was more
than the drive and the airmail postage. After all, who would pay $25
postage for a drive that cost $25?

I'm not even going to go into the time I paid $50 for 10 used cell phones
over the internet..........

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

Floyd Davidson

SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's almost the rule, rather than the exception, that you pay more for
>stuff on eBay than you pay elsewhere.

That has not been my experience. I do see stuff that goes for
prices that I just have to laugh at (both high *and* low). But
the vast majority of it falls right into line with what it is
*worth*. But /many/ items go through price cycles, depending
on supply and demand.

With photographic equipment it is *highly* recommended that
before making a purchase (or selling an odd item?) that one
should do a bit of research... not just on what the value of
that item is, but what the availability and the pricing has been
*on* *eBAy*. Watching prices go and down in cycles on many
commonly available items, and waiting for the demand to be low
is often worth real money.

>I've purchased stuff on eBay, but usually only when the item simply
>isn't sold anywhere else. I needed a specific new plumbing fixture, and
>I couldn't find it at any store, on-line or brick and mortar, but it was
>on eBay.

Certainly one of the real advantages of eBay is getting access
to sellers all across the spectrum (geography, quality, goods).

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) (E-Mail Removed)

Peter Chant

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> A friend of mine once bought me a used 2 speed CD-ROM drive I needed for
> an old computer. He happened to have a box from a brand new one,
> complete with foam packaging, so he sent me the old drive in the new
> box and packaging
>
> I could not convince the guy in customs that the drive in his hand was
> worth the $29 declared for it and had to pay duty on $150 which was more
> than the drive and the airmail postage. After all, who would pay $25
> postage for a drive that cost $25?

Have a look at:

http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

William Graham

"mfshadow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> And the idiots on ebay will gladly bid past retail on ANY photo item
> just to be the "winner".

There is a very good answer to this.....Become a "seller", and let those
idiots bid up your stuff......

Bill Funk

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 19:51:04 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) (Geoffrey
S. Mendelson) wrote:

>Mike wrote:
>> Could have something to do with avoiding a customs charge for "new" items.

>Possibly.
>
>Israel and all of the E.U. countries calculate the taxes based upon the
>price paid. If it is a used item they use a depreicated value.
>
>If something is sold on eBay, the seller will declare the value of the
>item. Here, if the customs people don't agree they will ask you to
>show up at their office and open the package in front of you.
>
>If you can prove that you paid $10 for a lens, they will let you go.
>If you can't prove anything, they will look at the lens and come up with
>a price. If it looks new, comes in a box, has caps, an instruction book
>and a warranty card, they will charge you taxes based on the new price.
>
>A friend of mine once bought me a used 2 speed CD-ROM drive I needed for
>an old computer. He happened to have a box from a brand new one,
>complete with foam packaging, so he sent me the old drive in the new
>box and packaging
>
>I could not convince the guy in customs that the drive in his hand was
>worth the $29 declared for it and had to pay duty on $150 which was more
>than the drive and the airmail postage. After all, who would pay $25
>postage for a drive that cost $25?

Didn't the fact that the device *in* the box didn't match the
description *on* the box mean anything?
I mean, if the box was for a BelchFire 32X burner, and the device in
the box was a SlowLane 2X burner, doesn't that mean anything?
Especially with an invoice that is for a SlowLane 2X burner?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

William Graham

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike wrote:
>> Could have something to do with avoiding a customs charge for "new"
>> items.

> Possibly.
>
> Israel and all of the E.U. countries calculate the taxes based upon the
> price paid. If it is a used item they use a depreicated value.
>
> If something is sold on eBay, the seller will declare the value of the
> item. Here, if the customs people don't agree they will ask you to
> show up at their office and open the package in front of you.
>
> If you can prove that you paid $10 for a lens, they will let you go.
> If you can't prove anything, they will look at the lens and come up with
> a price. If it looks new, comes in a box, has caps, an instruction book
> and a warranty card, they will charge you taxes based on the new price.
>
> A friend of mine once bought me a used 2 speed CD-ROM drive I needed for
> an old computer. He happened to have a box from a brand new one,
> complete with foam packaging, so he sent me the old drive in the new
> box and packaging
>
> I could not convince the guy in customs that the drive in his hand was
> worth the $29 declared for it and had to pay duty on $150 which was more
> than the drive and the airmail postage. After all, who would pay $25
> postage for a drive that cost $25?
>
> I'm not even going to go into the time I paid $50 for 10 used cell phones
> over the internet..........
>
> Geoff.

A better question is, "What business does the government have charging you
taxes on such a transaction, anyway?" Do they charge you income tax? - If
so, then they have already taxed you once on your money, so what gives them
the right to tax you for it again when you try to spend what you have left
over after they have already taxed you for it the first time? Sales taxes
should be illegal. They restrict trade, and are therefore regressive in that
they discourage people from doing business with one another, which generates
jobs and more tax money for the government. They shouldn't even tax you for
buying brand new items, much less for buying used stuff. Just how does your
swapping some item with your neighbor increase the governments costs of
providing you with education for your kids, or a standing army for your
protection, or for anything else that government provides? And if it
doesn't, then what business does the government have in taxing it?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Bill Funk wrote:
> Didn't the fact that the device *in* the box didn't match the
> description *on* the box mean anything?
> I mean, if the box was for a BelchFire 32X burner, and the device in
> the box was a SlowLane 2X burner, doesn't that mean anything?

They were both Compaq CD-ROM drives. He also said that it,
and another used part in the box could not have been used because
they were not covered in dust.

He obviously never saw a computer room.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel (E-Mail Removed) N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838