Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I touched the sensor like a dummy

I touched the sensor like a dummy

Healthy Stealthy

Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used to
brush, I don't remember.

I did bring the camera to the camera the camera store and the salesman
used to air cleaner (which I ended up purchasing) to clean out the dust
on the sensor or mirror. I'm not sure which is which.

How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
camera at any time.

Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
camera again.

Thanks

Mark

Healthy Stealthy wrote:
> Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
> Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
> cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used
> to brush, I don't remember.
>
> I did bring the camera to the camera the camera store and the salesman
> used to air cleaner (which I ended up purchasing) to clean out the
> dust on the sensor or mirror. I'm not sure which is which.
>
> How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part
> of the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of
> the camera at any time.
>
> Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
> camera again.
>
> Thanks

If you can see the "thing" you touched by simply removing the lens...you're
looking at the mirror...which will have no impact on your images whatsoever.

If, on the other hand, you activated the sensor-clean function (which you
have to actively select from within the menu system), which flips the mirror
up and out of the way to provide access to the sensor...and you reached all
the way in and touched what looks like a glassy-smooth greyish surface (NOT
a mirror surface), then you touched the sensor itself.

If you did touch the sensor, this isn't death...but it's something you
should be extremely cautious with. I have occasionally lightly touched it
with a very soft blower brush, but wouldn't recommend that to people.

In any event...if you didn't actively use the sensor-clean function, it's
almost certain you only touched the mirror--which isn't involved in anything
other than letting you look through the viewfinder. Once you trip the
shutter, the mirror flips up, and has no effect on the image or sensor.

-Mark

Allodoxaphobia

On 4 Feb 2006 17:52:26 -0800, Healthy Stealthy wrote:

> How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
> the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
> camera at any time.

Take a close-up picture of a lit flourescent tube. Check the image for
dark pixels.

Take a picture of the inside of your lens cap. Check for the image
for 'hot' pixels.

Even if you see one or two in either case, it may have come in the box
from the factory that-a-way.

> Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
> camera again.

Like your mom told you, "Don't you _ever_ touch *that* again!"

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2

Jasen

"Healthy Stealthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
> Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
> cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used to
> brush, I don't remember.
>
> I did bring the camera to the camera the camera store and the salesman
> used to air cleaner (which I ended up purchasing) to clean out the dust
> on the sensor or mirror. I'm not sure which is which.
>
> How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
> the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
> camera at any time.
>
> Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
> camera again.
>
> Thanks

If you want to check how dirty your sensor is, and it sounds like you
touched the mirror anyway if you didn't actually select the "clean sensor"
function, you can simply take a closeup photo of a neutral/white flat
surface out of focus (set focus to infinity), upload to your computer and
then increase the contrast to a higher level and you will start to see any
possible dust spots or other blemishes. If you can increase the contrast to
the highest pint and see virtually no specks then you should be fine and can
relax. I did this before and after I cleaned my sensor and it is invaluable
as a reference.
Don't worry, you probably just confused the mirror for the sensor. You have
to consciously gain access to the sensor to be able to touch it. A dirty
mirror won't affect your images at all. You can clean the mirror with a
blower brush but I prefer to use a lint free tissue on my finger and wipe
softly. Blower brushes only move the dust about in my opinion and that dust
can move to your sensor when you turn the camera on and take photos, for
when the camera is on the sensor is charged and that will attract dust
inevitably. This also applies when changing lenses. Do so with the camera
off to minimise attraction of dust. The less you have to clean your camera
sensor the longer it'll last, I believe.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
"Allodoxaphobia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 4 Feb 2006 17:52:26 -0800, Healthy Stealthy wrote:
>
> > How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
> > the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
> > camera at any time.

> Take a close-up picture of a lit flourescent tube. Check the image for
> dark pixels.
>
> Take a picture of the inside of your lens cap. Check for the image
> for 'hot' pixels.
>
> Even if you see one or two in either case, it may have come in the box
> from the factory that-a-way.
>
> > Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
> > camera again.

> Like your mom told you, "Don't you _ever_ touch *that* again!"
>
> Jonesy
> --
> Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
> Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
> *** I killfile X-Trace: posting.google.com followups in this ng

allodoxaphobia?I knew claustrophobia is a greek word, what does that
mean?afraid of people with different religions?(That's what it would mean
literally in greek)

Allodoxaphobia

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 15:21:24 +0200, Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote
a badly formatted foolowup:

> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> major in electrical engineering,freelance electrician
> FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker
> dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> "Allodoxaphobia" <(E-Mail Removed)>

:
:
:
>> *** I killfile X-Trace: posting.google.com followups in this ng

> allodoxaphobia?I knew claustrophobia is a greek word, what does that
> mean?afraid of people with different religions?(That's what it would mean
> literally in greek)

Is Google censored in Greece as well as in China?

--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
*** I killfile X-Trace: posting.google.com followups in this ng

JohnR66

"Healthy Stealthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
> Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
> cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used to
> brush, I don't remember.
>
> I did bring the camera to the camera the camera store and the salesman
> used to air cleaner (which I ended up purchasing) to clean out the dust
> on the sensor or mirror. I'm not sure which is which.
>
> How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
> the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
> camera at any time.
>
> Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
> camera again.
>
> Thanks

Doubtful you ever touched the sensor. There is a piece of glass covering it.
John

William Saens

First, if your pictures look OK then you didn't do anything really bad.
Next, the sensor can be cleaned and yes touched with a swab and some liquid
cleaner. Mind you, not just any cleaner, but how do you think they clean it
if you send it into Canon for a cleaning? Yes, they touch it.

Willie

"Healthy Stealthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
> Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
> cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used to
> brush, I don't remember.
>
> I did bring the camera to the camera the camera store and the salesman
> used to air cleaner (which I ended up purchasing) to clean out the dust
> on the sensor or mirror. I'm not sure which is which.
>
> How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
> the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
> camera at any time.
>
> Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
> camera again.
>
> Thanks

William Saens

I believe the sensor is actually covered by a small piece of glass, so you
do not actually touch the sensor and burn out pixals.

"Allodoxaphobia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 4 Feb 2006 17:52:26 -0800, Healthy Stealthy wrote:
>
>> How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
>> the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
>> camera at any time.

> Take a close-up picture of a lit flourescent tube. Check the image for
> dark pixels.
>
> Take a picture of the inside of your lens cap. Check for the image
> for 'hot' pixels.
>
> Even if you see one or two in either case, it may have come in the box
> from the factory that-a-way.
>
>> Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
>> camera again.

> Like your mom told you, "Don't you _ever_ touch *that* again!"
>
> Jonesy
> --
> Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
> Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
> *** I killfile X-Trace: posting.google.com followups in this ng

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"Healthy Stealthy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Before I read the manual I touched what I think is the sensor of my
> Canon SLR, instead of using the blower. I touched it with the cleaning
> cloth that I purchased for to clean the camera with. I may have used to
> brush, I don't remember.
>
> I did bring the camera to the camera the camera store and the salesman
> used to air cleaner (which I ended up purchasing) to clean out the dust
> on the sensor or mirror. I'm not sure which is which.
>
> How can I tell if I committed the horrible act of damaging that part of
> the camera? I know the tutorials say do not touch that section of the
> camera at any time.
>
> Hopefully, I didn't do any damage. I will never touch that area of the
> camera again.

Touching the the hand of God can have dire consequences in your life!