Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommend a phote sharing web site for criticism of work

Recommend a phote sharing web site for criticism of work

Al Dykes

I'm beginning to do some, IMO, decent photography and photoshop work
but not good at criticising my own work. It's not too artsy. Just
walking around and shooting at public events and small venue live acts
by available light. I'd like feedback on composition as well as the
photoshoping.

I'll criticise the work of other people to get brownie points on the
site. (I'm good at that )

Any suggestions?

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Bruce Lewis

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Al Dykes) writes:

> I'm beginning to do some, IMO, decent photography and photoshop work
> but not good at criticising my own work. It's not too artsy. Just
> walking around and shooting at public events and small venue live acts
> by available light. I'd like feedback on composition as well as the
> photoshoping.

Why not just toss your photos on a free service like photobucket and ask
for critique here in the newsgroup?

I've yet to see a web interface as good as Usenet for discussion.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
photos for your family or group.

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bruce Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) (Al Dykes) writes:
>
>> I'm beginning to do some, IMO, decent photography and photoshop work
>> but not good at criticising my own work. It's not too artsy. Just
>> walking around and shooting at public events and small venue live acts
>> by available light. I'd like feedback on composition as well as the
>> photoshoping.

>Why not just toss your photos on a free service like photobucket and ask
>for critique here in the newsgroup?
>
>I've yet to see a web interface as good as Usenet for discussion.

Re: usenet, absolutely better than any web chat group for a real
discussion, And I've had good advice from groups like this from time
to time.

OTOH, having the picture on your screen while you're readng or writing
a comment is better done in a web application. On usenet you'd have
to find the URL we are talking about and get it up in a browser.

Usenet is text-based and I don't want that to change, ever.

If there is a usenet group that's more interested in composition and
the arty side I've not heard of it. Suggestions?

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

simon

try either.

www.photography-cafe.com
or
www.photochimper.com

Charlie Choc

www.photosig.com is pretty decent.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

Pete

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:19:33 -0500, Charlie Choc wrote:

> www.photosig.com is pretty decent.

My pick also. Good feedback. Good interface. Hi-res images.

Pete

cjcampbell

Charlie Choc wrote:

> www.photosig.com is pretty decent.

This site is blocked by our firewall, probably because it is not
decent.

If you have that problem, I would go with some of the others.

Charlie Choc

On 3 Feb 2006 19:15:28 -0800, "cjcampbell" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Charlie Choc wrote:
>

>> www.photosig.com is pretty decent.

>This site is blocked by our firewall, probably because it is not
>decent.

There are some nudes, but there's a rating system and you can block them
yourself if you want. It isn't a porn site if that's what you are implying.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com

cjcampbell

Charlie Choc wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2006 19:15:28 -0800, "cjcampbell" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >Charlie Choc wrote:
> >

> >> www.photosig.com is pretty decent.

> >This site is blocked by our firewall, probably because it is not
> >decent.

> There are some nudes, but there's a rating system and you can block them
> yourself if you want. It isn't a porn site if that's what you are implying.

Yeah, I know. Just a little play on words. Our firewall really does not
allow access to this site, though. Apparently it is unable to
distinguish between this and a porn site.

Darrell Larose

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:drvt5b$9nq$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm beginning to do some, IMO, decent photography and photoshop work
> but not good at criticising my own work. It's not too artsy. Just
> walking around and shooting at public events and small venue live acts
> by available light. I'd like feedback on composition as well as the
> photoshoping.
>
> I'll criticise the work of other people to get brownie points on the
> site. (I'm good at that )
>
> Any suggestions?

I like:
http://www.photosig.com