Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommendation for 35mm scanner

Recommendation for 35mm scanner

Jonathan Sylvestre

Hi,

I have lots of 35mm films to scan. IM looking for a 35 mm scanner but I
consider a flat scanner (or an all-in-one printer) that have a support for
35mm films.

What I would like to know is :

1)Is there any 35mm scanner that do a good job but that not too expensive
(around 200 $, except the Konica - Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV) ?

2)Can I optain good results with a flat scanner or a all-in-one printer
(good results and save some time)? (minium resolution of 3200)

3)Anyone who use the Epson Stylus CX7800 (all-in-one printer)? How is the 35
mm film scanning ? (and the printing of photos?)

Thank you very much for your help.... I have undreds of films to scan but
not enough money to spend. I read many reviews but I cant make my mind

Thank you

Jonathan

tomm42

Jonathan Sylvestre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have lots of 35mm films to scan. IM looking for a 35 mm scanner but I
> consider a flat scanner (or an all-in-one printer) that have a support for
> 35mm films.
>
> What I would like to know is :
>
> 1)Is there any 35mm scanner that do a good job but that not too expensive
> (around 200 $, except the Konica - Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV) ?
>
> 2)Can I optain good results with a flat scanner or a all-in-one printer
> (good results and save some time)? (minium resolution of 3200)
>
> 3)Anyone who use the Epson Stylus CX7800 (all-in-one printer)? How is the 35
> mm film scanning ? (and the printing of photos?)
>
> Thank you very much for your help.... I have undreds of films to scan but
> not enough money to spend. I read many reviews but I cant make my mind
>
> Thank you
>
> Jonathan

The KM Scan Dual IV is about the best bang for the buck. With flat beds
the specs are often inflated and they give disappointing results
especially with small films. If you want to get into an Epson 4180 or
4990, Canon, Microtek, and Umax have equivalents, all are better for
small films. If you just want to have pics on the web you may get by
with a cheaper scanner. Just remember film scanners do film the best.
Some Polaroid 35mm scanners were quite good, but they have a SCSI
interface and you have no support if there is problems. SCSI scanners
can be finicky. Pacific Image had a series of film scanners they had
some very cheap ones, their higher priced scanners had a good
reputation.

Tom

Steve

I would recommend getting a dedicated film scanner like a decent Minolta or
Nikon.

Lets face it, scanning negatives is a boring, laborious task, so believe me,
you only want to be doing it once. Better to get the best results first
time, so you don't have to do it again in the future.

"Jonathan Sylvestre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F78Ef.6859$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi,
>
> I have lots of 35mm films to scan. IM looking for a 35 mm scanner but I
> consider a flat scanner (or an all-in-one printer) that have a support for
> 35mm films.
>
> What I would like to know is :
>
> 1)Is there any 35mm scanner that do a good job but that not too expensive
> (around 200 $, except the Konica - Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV) ?
>
> 2)Can I optain good results with a flat scanner or a all-in-one printer
> (good results and save some time)? (minium resolution of 3200)
>
> 3)Anyone who use the Epson Stylus CX7800 (all-in-one printer)? How is the

35
> mm film scanning ? (and the printing of photos?)
>
> Thank you very much for your help.... I have undreds of films to scan but
> not enough money to spend. I read many reviews but I cant make my mind
>
> Thank you
>
> Jonathan

uglyone25@yahoo.com.au

Hello Jonathan, I have used Microtek scanners for a few years and I
have found thier support/helpline very good when I need support. I
would ask them. Tele- 01782 753366 or web site www.microtekeurope.com.
The head office is in Newcastle. Hope you find something, thier
scanners are not over priced.
Best Regards
uglyone25.

Steve Wolfe

> The KM Scan Dual IV is about the best bang for the buck. With flat beds
> the specs are often inflated and they give disappointing results
> especially with small films. If you want to get into an Epson 4180 or
> 4990, Canon, Microtek, and Umax have equivalents, all are better for
> small films. If you just want to have pics on the web you may get by
> with a cheaper scanner. Just remember film scanners do film the best.
> Some Polaroid 35mm scanners were quite good, but they have a SCSI
> interface and you have no support if there is problems. SCSI scanners
> can be finicky. Pacific Image had a series of film scanners they had
> some very cheap ones, their higher priced scanners had a good
> reputation.

Any particular model recomendations on the SCSI Polaroid scanners? I have
a slew of SCSI-based systems (not to mention all of the extra controllers
and cables laying around), and if a used one could be had inexpensively,
that would make me very happy.

steve

Dave

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 20:26:48 -0000, "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> somehow
managed to impart:

>I would recommend getting a dedicated film scanner like a decent Minolta or
>Nikon.

I had a Nikon Coolscan but I get better results with an Epson 4180 -
except when it intermittently aborts with an 'out of memory' error
when I do 12 negatives at once (I have 2GB memory).

The Nikon would jam after the little rubber rollers that pulled the
strips of 6 negatives in lost their grip. Cotton buds dipped in Platen
Clean would temporarily restore the grip. No such problems with the
Epson 4180.

The results are just as good or better and the dust removal seems to
be as good, too. Also important is the fact it cost one quarter of the
price, about the same I paid for my handheld two-bit Atari scanner
years ago.

Dave.
2500 hi-resolution photos especially Edinburgh
* No advertisements * http://www.henniker.org.uk
* délété david to use email address *

rafe b

> Any particular model recomendations on the SCSI Polaroid scanners? I
> have
> a slew of SCSI-based systems (not to mention all of the extra controllers
> and cables laying around), and if a used one could be had inexpensively,
> that would make me very happy.

Polaroid SprintScan Plus was a much-coveted scanner in its
day that can be had for under $150 on eBay nowadays.
Very comparable to Nikon's LS-2000. Both were rated
at 2700 dpi. The SprintScan LE was a cheaper model,
which I'd avoid. Moving up the chain a notch, the SprintScan
4000 can probably be had for around $400 or so.

But as with any SCSI scanner it may take some skill and
patience to get it working with a "modern" PC and OS.

For starters, you'll need to download and install the so-called
ASPI layer, from Adaptec's website. Drivers for any of these
can be downloaded from Polaroid's web site.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

theo

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:39:19 -0500, Jonathan Sylvestre
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have lots of 35mm films to scan. IM looking for a 35 mm scanner but I
> consider a flat scanner (or an all-in-one printer) that have a support
> for 35mm films.
>
> What I would like to know is :
>
> 1)Is there any 35mm scanner that do a good job but that not too expensive
> (around 200 $, except the Konica - Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV) ?
> How good (resolution) do you think you need? Who will be your audience
> for your scanned images? If family and progency then DVD player
> sldeshows (even at HDTV resolutions (1080i)) require comparatively low
> $ outlay (<100USD ) for hardware to satisfy this audience.
> 2)Can I optain good results with a flat scanner or a all-in-one printer
> (good results and save some time)? (minium resolution of 3200)

AFAIK, Several current flatbed, zero all-in-one @/>3200ppi for .tif files
or offload to .psd or .psp files or default to similar apps. And
devil-in-details, bundled software provide the playspace for pre- or
post-scan processing? As often raised in this and related
(comp.periphs.scanner) newsgroups, mo-betah to get the best cleanest
raw-est scan then leave it to PSP/PS/ACDSee/Irfanview/... for post-scan
processing.

> 3)Anyone who use the Epson Stylus CX7800 (all-in-one printer)? How is
> the 35 mm film scanning ? (and the printing of photos?)

No experience therefore no suggestions.

> Thank you very much for your help.... I have undreds of films to scan
> but not enough money to spend. I read many reviews but I cant make my
> mind.

Another factor to consider: are your children still under your roof? Do
you know their teachers' names and attended PTA? Why not? Care to
explain why you are denying your life's real priorities? "The Cat's in
the Cradle..." (Harry Chapin). Every hour of tedious tending to the
feeding of the scanner is an hour of neglect of spouse and offspring, of
neighbor contact and community roots, unless you are already a curmugeonly
spinster hermit of whatever gender. Check out the myriad offerings across
the i'net from folks willing to take your 35mm pos+neg, and allow you to
revert attentions to real life. Oh, Me? My kids have all lived beyond
30yoa, left town and taken their children along, as it should be.

Dan Hollands

"Jonathan Sylvestre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F78Ef.6859$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi,
>
> I have lots of 35mm films to scan. IM looking for a 35 mm scanner but I
> consider a flat scanner (or an all-in-one printer) that have a support for
> 35mm films.
>
> What I would like to know is :
>
> 1)Is there any 35mm scanner that do a good job but that not too expensive
> (around 200 $, except the Konica - Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV) ?
>
> 2)Can I optain good results with a flat scanner or a all-in-one printer
> (good results and save some time)? (minium resolution of 3200)
>
> 3)Anyone who use the Epson Stylus CX7800 (all-in-one printer)? How is the
> 35 mm film scanning ? (and the printing of photos?)
>
> Thank you very much for your help.... I have undreds of films to scan but
> not enough money to spend. I read many reviews but I cant make my mind
>
> Thank you
>
> Jonathan

I used a PrimeFilm 1800u - cheap and gave adequate results - one frame at a
time

--
Dan Hollands
1120 S Creek Dr

Kennedy McEwen

In article <F78Ef.6859$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jonathan
Sylvestre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Hi,
>
>I have lots of 35mm films to scan. IM looking for a 35 mm scanner but I
>consider a flat scanner (or an all-in-one printer) that have a support for
>35mm films.

Personally, if you have a lot of 35nn images to scan, I would recommend
the Nikon LS-5000 with either or both of the SA-30 and SF-210 adapters,
depending on the form your film is stored in. If strips, you can save
on the adapters entirely as the basic scanner includes a strip adapter
and single frame slide adapter.

If you don't mind running back to your PC every 10 minutes for the next
year that it takes to scan your thousands of frames, then you might also
look at the Plustek OpticFilm 7200, which is cheaper and, allegedly,
gets as good results as the Nikon. I can't confirm this first hand, but
it has had good reviews in the press.
--
Kennedy